Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nate22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
I have acquired a power mac g4 that is behaving very strange and I'm having issues installing Mac OS Tiger (from a flash drive) on it.
It has 3 hard drives, a 10gb slave, a 10gb with Mac OS 9.2, and ~100gb drive (sata with pci adapter) with 10.3 on it. It has 1gb of total ram and an owc aftermarket CPU upgrade card installed (g4 @1GHz) which may be part of the problem but I'm not sure.

Before messing with it, it would normally boot from the 100gb drive. There would be NO chime, the monitor would receive a signal, then drop the signal, the CD drive would open by itself and about 50 seconds later the monitor comes back up and I briefly see the login screen before ending on the desktop. After that everything operates normally. Because of the signal issue when booting, I can't access openfirmware.

When switching the boot drive to the one with 9.2 on it, I DO hear the chime (terribly, speaker likely dying), monitor receives signal and I see the normal procedure of 9.2 loading and getting to the desktop. However on a reboot, while the chime still works, the monitor only turns on when I get to the desktop. CD drive still quirky.

Now, if I were to switch the boot drive from 9.2 back to 10.3, I hear the chime and see the 10.3 loading procedure (grey screen, apple logo, etc). If I restart the computer however, there's no chime again, same monitor signal issue, yet still end up fine on the desktop. CD drive still quirky.

So I decided to start fresh and install Mac OS Tiger on the computer with a flash drive. I first tried to install it to the 100gb drive. I got about half way during the installation when the system froze. I rebooted and tried again but had issues. I decided to remove both the 100gb drive and sata adapter card since that might be an issue and attempted to install tiger on the 10gb slave drive. Again, it started installing and this time barely got anywhere before freezing again. I also had text on the screen when it froze. Something along the lines of:

System Failure cpu=0 code 00000007 (Corrupt skip lists)
bunch of 0x00.... blahblahblah
Backtrace....
backtrace terminated - frame not mapped or invalid

Kernal version 8.6.0
Memory access exception (1,0,0)

Subsequent tries don't even get me to the installation screen anymore, I get stuck at the grey screen with apple logo and a spinning circle. Yet when I plug the 9.2.2 drive back in, it boots fine and runs. What gives?

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Usually a system failure like that implies it's not happy with the master/slave config you have going on. Also, Sata PCI cards often complain about different Mac OS versions that aren't exactly what they like, i.e. 10.4 may not work while 10.4.11 will.

Your easiest bet may be to install Tiger fresh on another computer, then move the drive into your G4 once updated to 10.4.11.

nate22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
Usually a system failure like that implies it's not happy with the master/slave config you have going on. Also, Sata PCI cards often complain about different Mac OS versions that aren't exactly what they like, i.e. 10.4 may not work while 10.4.11 will.

Your easiest bet may be to install Tiger fresh on another computer, then move the drive into your G4 once updated to 10.4.11.
Issue still persists just with one drive with a master config. I've removed the Sata PCI card. I may try a different mac os version. I would try installing Tiger using a different computer but my other candidate, an imac g4 decided to kick the bucket a year ago. I may also try installing mac os using the CD drive, perhaps it hates USB.

nate22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2022
Well I finally managed to install 10.4.6, and then the 10.4.11 combo update on a larger 120gb pata hard drive I had. I removed the SATA drive and PCI adapter since it was a headache. The solution was that... the Power Mac is just extremely temperamental. Sometimes it boots from the flash drive, other times I need to do a PRAM reset just for it to display anything on the screen. Sometimes whether I do the PRAM reset before or after plugging in the USB drive matters. It took about 20 PRAM resets and several Mac OS Tiger dmg images from the internet before it was satisfied. It still behaves strange in that the CD drive opens by itself and the display looses signal when booting until reaching the desktop but at least it's functional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.