Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
So I recently aquired a Powerbook 1400c/133

Specs:
133Mhz 603e
32MB of RAM
1.3GB HD

I'd like to know as much as possible about this unit. Anyone have one? What Mac OS would you reccommend? Is it easy to upgrade the RAM? Is it possible to run OS X? (slim chance, I know). What about upgrading the Hard drive, anything of note? Thanks so much.

Also, Do you think this machine would be adequate for word processing / instant messaging / webbrowsing, and what classic mac os would be best for these purposes? Thanks

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
You have there one of my favorite classic Macs. I have a number of these in various configurations. As you have the 1400c not 1400cs you have the lovely active matrix screen, much better than the dim & fuzzy dual scan CS. The 133mhz model sits in the middle between the 117mhz & the 166mhz. Along with the 166, the 133 has 128k of L2 Cache that the 117 doesn’t so is significantly faster.

Upgrades are a breeze on these ‘Books’, they have the easiest HDD to swap of any of the Powerbooks ever. RAM is almost as easy, and a processor swap for a fast G3 takes no more than 5 mins (assuming you can find one cheap). RAM maxes out at 64MB the sticks are getting harder to find, ebay is your friend, you will need 2x 24MB sticks to max it out (and you should).

OS X, no way even if you put a quick G3 in it you have the 64MB RAM ceiling problem and the 800x600 screen is too small. OS 8.6 is the way to go, I have tried OS 9 but due to its size and RAM requirements I would recommend 8.6 every time. You will have no problem running MS Office 2000. Wireless internet connection is easy with a 16bit 5V PCMCIA wifi card.

Enjoy it its a great little computer, the changable covers are fun too :D

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Thanks!

I just recently purchased a Dell 1550 truemobile PCMCIA wireless card on ebay (for only 33 bucks shipped) after reading that its the exact same orinoco/lucent card and can easily use the excellent orinioco drivers for Mac OS 8.6. The machine currently has 8MB of RAM (soldered on) and then 8MB on the mobo stick and 16MB on a passthrough card, so I was considering purchasing a 32MB stick to go on the passthrough to bump it up to the max ram ceiling (64MB) Would this work? Also, do you happen to have any transparent covers for it? I can't seem to find any on ebay or online and I'd really like one :D

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Your Dell TruMobile card is the same one that I'm running, it works great, I have stuck an Airport sticker over the Dell badge as it pained me to see a Dell product sticking out of my Powerbook. :rolleyes:

You will find the Powebook 1400 is quite picky about RAM combinations, it likes to have matched pairs. If you want to go the cheap route get another 16MB stick to make a total of 48MB, which is fine for OS 8.6. or the more expensive route of 2 x 24. If you find a 32MB stick see if you can try before you buy.

I have a spare clear cover and some orignal artwork inserts, but as I'm in the UK thats not much help. You must be able to find what your looking for on ebay, they are quite common, look for someone who is breaking one for spares.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Sly said:
Your Dell TruMobile card is the same one that I'm running, it works great, I have stuck an Airport sticker over the Dell badge as it pained me to see a Dell product sticking out of my Powerbook. :rolleyes:

You will find the Powebook 1400 is quite picky about RAM combinations, it likes to have matched pairs. If you want to go the cheap route get another 16MB stick to make a total of 48MB, which is fine for OS 8.6. or the more expensive route of 2 x 24. If you find a 32MB stick see if you can try before you buy.

I have a spare clear cover and some orignal artwork inserts, but as I'm in the UK thats not much help. You must be able to find what your looking for on ebay, they are quite common, look for someone who is breaking one for spares.

Unfortunately, at least on ebay.com (not.co.uk or whatever) I cannot find one :(. How much do you think it would cost you to ship it to PA? That would be really cool :D

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Also, has anyone installed the entire Mac OS + programs onto a compact flash card/PCMCIA adapter? Is the install difficult? Is there anything special to not when installing? Thanks!

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Hey there... I have a clear cover on my 1400cs. (Which of course, has that fuzzier screen than you)

I would trade it for your regular cover, if you want... Otherwise, I will just be selling the whole system on Ebay shortly.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2006
Sure! that sounds great. Do you have any inserts for it as well? Anyway, I'll PM you and hopefully we can make a trade! :D If anyone else knows about any of the questions I asked please feel free to respond. I got a Dell Truemobile 1150 card and it works great and I was acutally surfing the web and IMing on a 10 year old machine 0_o

pedrito4809

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016
You have there one of my favorite classic Macs. I have a number of these in various configurations. As you have the 1400c not 1400cs you have the lovely active matrix screen, much better than the dim & fuzzy dual scan CS. The 133mhz model sits in the middle between the 117mhz & the 166mhz. Along with the 166, the 133 has 128k of L2 Cache that the 117 doesnt so is significantly faster.

Upgrades are a breeze on these Books, they have the easiest HDD to swap of any of the Powerbooks ever. RAM is almost as easy, and a processor swap for a fast G3 takes no more than 5 mins (assuming you can find one cheap). RAM maxes out at 64MB the sticks are getting harder to find, ebay is your friend, you will need 2x 24MB sticks to max it out (and you should).

OS X, no way even if you put a quick G3 in it you have the 64MB RAM ceiling problem and the 800x600 screen is too small. OS 8.6 is the way to go, I have tried OS 9 but due to its size and RAM requirements I would recommend 8.6 every time. You will have no problem running MS Office 2000. Wireless internet connection is easy with a 16bit 5V PCMCIA wifi card.

Enjoy it its a great little computer, the changable covers are fun too :D
Hi there, I saw this thread and thought you might be able to help. I have a 1400c/117 and would like to swap out the 117MHz processor for a 166MHz. Is this possible? Having just tried it, i dont seem to be able to boot the machine. I don’t want to upgrade to G3. Thank you so much for any assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.