Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
macbook-air-m1-eats-intel-for-lunch.jpg

Last edited:

DanteHicks79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
It's quite appropriate to bring up the Powerbook G3 along with the M1... back in the day Apple boasted the G3's performance over the Pentium's, I remember this fun ad that they had back in the day "It eats Pentium notebooks for lunch". M1 is bringing back the good times ?

View attachment 1692022

Hey - is there any way you could send me an image of that a bit flatter please? Would appreciate it - for a project I'm doing.

Thanks!

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
I remember somewhere around the iLife debut 2003/2004, there was leaked news about a bit of impasse among company leadership about how Windows was being marketed at the time. I believe it was Jim Allchin who was head of Windows development was impressed with Apples bundle strategy, but also the PC setup experience vs Mac. This was I believe during the nightmare period when OEMs were filling PCs with crappy apps that would slow down a PC out of the box. Jim was frustrated with why Apple was getting this right, but Windows was delivering a similar experience for users. I'm paraphrasing a lot of this of course.

When I first saw OS X on 'The Screen Savers' in March 2001, I was shocked a computer operating system could look that pretty. I was using Windows 98 SE at the time. But, that's what got me hooked, of course, being a poor student with no money, I could only view screenshots of OS X and read Macworld. On top of the entrenched nature of Windows at the time and eventually Windows XP's market dominance. My first OS X machine wasn't until the hacked OS X Tiger x86 which I installed on my custom built AMD Sempron dual booting with Windows XP Pro x64 and Windows Vista betas.

Just found the article:

Jim had a LOT of goals with Vista to make it a strong OS X competitor. I think it's biggest issue was trying to change SO much in such a short amount of time and only get screwed even more with mid-development change from the XP to Server code base. I think if they ONLY did the underlying framework stuff with Vista, then saved the huge UI changes for 7/Blackcomb that would have worked out much better for them. Sadly, they had finally gotten much of it fixed and stable/performant enough in 7 only to throw lots of the good will won back out the door with Windows 8.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Sure, but:

1. Wtf uses Bing?
2. I need the text to be legible/not blurry, and for more straight on photo where there isn't light reflected on the poster (sure, I can warp it in Photoshop, but the glare will still be present)
Bing image search CRUSHES googles in nearly every use I've had for it. The whole "lets bash Bing" thing is so outdated it's just pure Fanboi stuff now. It's as dumb as people still using "M$" and thinking they somehow look cool, smart/clever or trendy. It just makes you look 12.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Jim had a LOT of goals with Vista to make it a strong OS X competitor. I think it's biggest issue was trying to change SO much in such a short amount of time and only get screwed even more with mid-development change from the XP to Server code base. I think if they ONLY did the underlying framework stuff with Vista, then saved the huge UI changes for 7/Blackcomb that would have worked out much better for them. Sadly, they had finally gotten much of it fixed and stable/performant enough in 7 only to throw lots of the good will won back out the door with Windows 8.
Bill Gates personal ambitions significantly damaged the product. The focus on the database file system WinFS which no one was actually working on, that never worked, greatly impacted the time frame of when Longhorn should have come to market. I always remember when reading Paul Thurrotts Supersite for Windows, Longhorn was originally intended to be just a interim release, basically a second edition of Windows XP. But what further made things worse were the vulnerability issues sasser worm, the RPC bug, the constant DDOS attacks. That ultimately triggered a reset with most of the development going towards Windows XP SP2 and ultimately Longhorn builds were just a mess leading to the reset in August 2004. There was just too much self inflicted wounds on top of Apple delivering what Microsoft promised with Spotlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.