Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
As you describe it, you have other issues.
I would likely do a test to see if major hardware issues can be reported by the Hardware Test software.
You can likely find that as a diskimage, by searching online for AHT 2.5.2. Burn the image to a CD-r.
Or, you should still open the case, and take a look around for visible corrosion, make sure that fans are relatively clean, and try redoing the heat sink compound. If you have no experience with that kind of work, you can follow steps to get inside here.

OR, if you really don't want to go inside, then reseating the RAM memory sticks is a simple step that you can try.

The freezing/lockups might also mean that your hard drive may be getting near to failure.
You would need to boot to an external drive, or to an OS X installer DVD to do a good test of your hard drive with Disk Utility, or you can boot into single-user mode, and run an fsck -fy (Restart, holding Command+s, wait for the scrolling text, then type the command /sbin/fsck -fy
Press enter, and the command runs the test of the drive directory.
ATA hard drives are getting harder and harder to find now, but there's also adapters to allow you to transplant a solid state drive, like an M2 SSD card.

b4peace

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Thanks for quick response! It's a 17" Powerbook and I'm not sure about opening it myself. It probably could use a good clean and service but I have a feeling it's more than that. Here's why:

1. After looking at a suggestion online I removed the battery, then after pressing the power button a couple of times it powered on, booted and logged on, and I was able to copy a folder from desktop to USB drive but when I opened the Tenfourfox browser to go online it froze.

2. Tried to power on again but no luck, so I replaced battery, unplugged & replugged adapter. Had to press power button several times and it finally powered on and booted again. I logged on but it froze on desktop. Also noticed that date & time had reverted back.

3. Removed battery again, pressed power button several times, finally powered on but froze at spinning wheel stage, didn't even get to log on.

4. Tried pressing power button several times but nothing at all.

5. Now several hours later pressed power button heard chime but screen is black and no sign of iife!

Any suggestions appreciated :)
[doublepost=1501089675][/doublepost]Thanks again for response. Very helpful. Will follow up on your suggestions :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.