Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ExclusiveMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Japan
That is correct. Only old Apple airport card will work internally, you must use USB G or N adapter - please see the one I sent you. It works great.
The only way for Jaguar and Panther, i suppose that on Tiger and Leopard is working internally as the other user said.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd recommend getting a CardBus wireless card. Faster than USB 1.1 and won't take up extra ports either.

Here's a page to help you get started: https://lowendmac.com/2009/wifi-cardbus-adapters-compatible-with-mac-os-x/

I have a PC card wireless adapter in my PowerBook 1400 and it works great, so I can attest first hand to the benefits of using a PC card/CardBus adapter. :)

My son had one of those PC cards for 802.11g way back when. Starbucks demanded WPA2 so there was no way for him to connect using his original Airport card.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I don't recommend g.. The OP can get what I have and also a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card which will allow him to use USB 2.0 and also the 300-N speed Trend USB adapter(link in a few threads up). Sadly, this works for only 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 - I am not sure if the driver will work under Panther or Jaguar, but if OP wants to install Tiger or Leo, then that is what I recommend.

Reactions: ExclusiveMac

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I don't recommend g.. The OP can get what I have and also a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card which will allow him to use USB 2.0 and also the 300-N speed Trend USB adapter(link in a few threads up). Sadly, this works for only 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 - I am not sure if the driver will work under Panther or Jaguar, but if OP wants to install Tiger or Leo, then that is what I recommend.
From what it sounds like, the OP is running Jaguar on this machine. Additionally, the USB ports on this model are USB 1.1, which only reach a maximum of 12Mb/s. This would mean that the connection would be way slower than if the OP used a CardBus wireless adapter. I also have had hit-or-miss luck with USB wireless cards, even those that claim to be compatible with Tiger and Leopard.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
From what it sounds like, the OP is running Jaguar on this machine. Additionally, the USB ports on this model are USB 1.1, which only reach a maximum of 12Mb/s. This would mean that the connection would be way slower than if the OP used a CardBus wireless adapter. I also have had hit-or-miss luck with USB wireless cards, even those that claim to be compatible with Tiger and Leopard.
hmm.. The one I have isn't a bad adapter, as I did my research on it - the USB 2.0 cardbus adapter is reporting 2.0 speed(again, the one I got fully gives 2.0 speed). That is the reason why I got that and am happy with the results. But, if the OP is running Jaguar, then your suggestion may work.. though he would be better off using ethernet instead. I may try to install Jaguar now that I have the original software disk for the 1ghz titanium - I will try the adapter to see if it works under it.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
hmm.. The one I have isn't a bad adapter, as I did my research on it - the USB 2.0 cardbus adapter is reporting 2.0 speed(again, the one I got fully gives 2.0 speed). That is the reason why I got that and am happy with the results. But, if the OP is running Jaguar, then your suggestion may work.. though he would be better off using ethernet instead. I may try to install Jaguar now that I have the original software disk for the 1ghz titanium - I will try the adapter to see if it works under it.
What would make them better off using Ethernet? I have a wireless card on my PowerBook 1400 dual booting 7.6/8.1 and it works pretty much flawlessly. These adapters are not a new thing, really. They've been manufactured for basically ever since people had the idea to connect laptops to the internet over wireless. Even the OG AirPort card was a modified Orinoco WaveLan IIRC.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
What would make them better off using Ethernet? I have a wireless card on my PowerBook 1400 dual booting 7.6/8.1 and it works pretty much flawlessly. These adapters are not a new thing, really. They've been manufactured for basically ever since people had the idea to connect laptops to the internet over wireless. Even the OG AirPort card was a modified Orinoco WaveLan IIRC.
True, but I was under assumption OP uses the machine near a computer and its connected via Ethernet. My mistake - So, if its not, then the adapter I use may or may not work.. I have to test it with Jaguar, though the drivers state 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6. Yes, your are correct these adapters have been out since the days of Windows 3.1 and System 7.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Ok, I will need to create a 2nd partition so I can install Jaguar - I got the installer disc recently and too a look at it - Jaguar looks primitive compared to Leo. Once I get it installed, will test usb WiFi adapter I have - if driver works with it, then this will be cool.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Ok, I will need to create a 2nd partition so I can install Jaguar - I got the installer disc recently and too a look at it - Jaguar looks primitive compared to Leo. Once I get it installed, will test usb WiFi adapter I have - if driver works with it, then this will be cool.
Jaguar looks primitive compared with Leo because it is primitive compared with Leo. As for 802.11n adapters - either USB or Cardbus - you will need Tiger as a bare minimum. I have yet to see a single one that worked reliably with Panther or earlier. You will also need Panther 10.3.3 minimum for WPA encryption. No obvious way around that.

Suffice to say, your browser options with Jaguar are also very much reduced as will be your browsing experience.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Jaguar looks primitive compared with Leo because it is primitive compared with Leo. As for 802.11n adapters - either USB or Cardbus - you will need Tiger as a bare minimum. I have yet to see a single one that worked reliably with Panther or earlier. You will also need Panther 10.3.3 minimum for WPA encryption. No obvious way around that.

Suffice to say, your browser options with Jaguar are also very much reduced as will be your browsing experience.
Dude, I know.. I was just going to set this up to see, as the OP wants to access the internet using Jaguar. You bring up good point about WPA, as this was introduced in Panther. Of course the only browser option would be safari or Internet Explorer and none of those work, unless through a proxy server. Really, I think the OP shoyjd just forget Jaguar and use Tiger or Leopard, unless he wants to play games from the Jaguar era.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I have Jaguar on a 667 MHz GHz Titanium. Was always fascinated by it because it felt like the first real stable release of OS X. It’s always great to look back where OS X is coming from. I have 10.0 on a Wallstreet; extremely useless, but still looks amazing for a 20 year old OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.