Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canopic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
I currently have a close to base spec MacBook Air and I was looking to add a Mac mini for a few purposes. (as a plex server / as a 'file server' to permanently share a couple of Samsung t5/T7's I have, always plugged in and available / to 'download originals' on my iCloud photo library, and then ultimately back it up, which I've been neglecting.)

My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that even the base m1 mini could perform those tasks with ease, and really the only issues is storage size (but I'm also reading that the photo library to external SSD's is very reliable/feasible, so maybe I wouldn't even have to bump storage size)

But then something else crossed my mind and that is that neither of the machines I then own will really be able to do anything 'powerful'...

And by that I mean, maybe some Logic, Final Cut, maybe a little gaming. Baldurs Gate strikes me as something I want to play, and not a good fit for my PlayStation. I've had a powerful PC at many times in my life, but not currently. Getting either a powerful desktop Mac or a powerful Laptop appeals to me to fill that void.

What I really can't decide though is between these two options:-

• Should I trade my Air for a powerful laptop (Maybe a MacBook Pro 14" with the Pro chip) - and then get the base cheap Mac mini to act as the 'server' for purposes I mention above.
OR
  • Keep my cheap MacBook Air, and instead get a Mac Studio (or powerful pro Mac mini). It could then do all my 'server' duties (menioned above), and also do anything I periodically need to do with more power.

I guess sometimes I might not want to work at a desk and it would be nice to still use a laptop in the kitchen or in front of the TV downstairs, depending on what exactly I'm doing. So really this comes down to questions like:-

• is a 'screen sharing' workflow for working off the Mac Studio via the Air feasible? Or is that kind of experience just not that great or worth considering?
  • Conversely does the MacBook Pro 14 really fall short of the Mac Studio Max when doing periodic things that require power? Or would I be getting into heat/fan-noise hell? This would be a no-brainer should they be the same price, but 32GB Macbook Pro's are understandably decently more expensive than the Studio Max.
  • Studio seems to draw more watts than a mini - (10w vs 5w), electricity prices aren't the best where I live, but then wouldn't either be in sleep mode most of the time and down to 0.5w or so anyway? waking only when needed? Maybe this is overthinking things!

I guess this is loosely a desktop vs laptop question given a moderate budget. A 16 inch MAX + baseline m1 mini feels like it would solve all my issues and anxieties, but I only have about $2500-$2700 budget total. I'm motivated by the fact that while the m1 Air is nice little machine, there is a lot I don't do with it because it lacks power, as an example, trimming and saving out a video capture file on my $400 PS5 is just so much faster than trying to do it on the Air, so many times faster it's painful.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
You don't need a desktop. Apple Silicon Laptops perform identical to desktops.

So just get 1 super powerful laptop and when you want to work away from your desk, remove the Thunderbolt 4 cable from your external monitor and you are good to go.

Reactions: canopic

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
If you are just doing “some” Final Cut and Logic, then any M1 device would work, it just wouldn’t be as fast as a newer or more powerful chip. You would probably want to bump the RAM up to 16GB for those. It’s only when you start doing it for a living that the speed would make much difference. I have no idea what it takes to run Baldur’s Gate. Never even looked into it.

If you just want something with more oomph, then as Colinsky suggested the base model Studio is a good choice. There is also a Mac Mini with an M2 Pro chip that would give you more power but you would need to watch the price of upgrades as that one can quickly bump up to the Studio prices.

Reactions: Basic75 and canopic

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
1710098486645.jpeg

My current M2 Air setup looks similar to the photo I shot a few months ago. The Air connects to monitor + several peripherals with one cable. Gives you best of both world. No duplication of updates and settings but all combined in one powerful setup.

If you feel at some point that you are running out of processing power, RAM, or SSD, there is always only one machine to upgrade/ replace.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
looking to add a Mac mini for a few purposes. (as a plex server / as a 'file server' to permanently share a couple of Samsung t5/T7's I have, always plugged in and available / to 'download originals' on my iCloud photo library, and then ultimately back it up, which I've been neglecting.)

My understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that even the base m1 mini could perform those tasks with ease
I agree that the base M1 mini would breeze through those tasks. I'm doing all those tasks plus more (but not the Photos library) with an old Intel Mac Mini from 2012! The only time it gets hot is when the Minecraft server is running. I have a bunch of external storage hooked up to it for backups, and access it via Screen Sharing.

(but I'm also reading that the photo library to external SSD's is very reliable/feasible, so maybe I wouldn't even have to bump storage size)
I agree. My 2015 iMac accesses my Photos library on an external SSD. It was easy to do and has been perfectly reliable for years. IMHO a good way to save some money.

And by that I mean, maybe some Logic, Final Cut, maybe a little gaming. Baldurs Gate strikes me as something I want to play, and not a good fit for my PlayStation. I've had a powerful PC at many times in my life, but not currently. Getting either a powerful desktop Mac or a powerful Laptop appeals to me to fill that void.
I think the answer to your dilemma (powerful portable or powerful desktop) lies in deciding the likely location and screen size that you will want to do your "heavy" tasks. For example,
I'm playing Baldur's Gate 3 at home, and would be disappointed to have to play it on a 13" laptop screen instead of a 27" 5k one. However, if I traveled a lot and most of my playing was in hotel rooms, then obviously 13" is better than nothing!

Similarly, would you rather be able to use Logic/Final Cut, etc. from any physical location, or would you rather be able to use more screen real estate?

is a 'screen sharing' workflow for working off the Mac Studio via the Air feasible? Or is that kind of experience just not that great or worth considering?
I use screen sharing quite a lot between our three Macs, and I would say it works very well. However, it's much more pleasant to use my 27" iMac to control our laptop, than the other way around. When controlling the iMac from the laptop, I can choose to display the entire iMac desktop in a very tiny size, or I can "edge scroll" around the iMac desktop when it's displayed at a readable size. This works fine if I'm only using one app window that fits within the laptop's 13" screen, but it's really annoying to switch between different application windows, possibly spread out over the iMac desktop.

My Mac Mini is "headless" with no monitor or keyboard. I got a "dummy screen" HDMI plug that makes the Mini think it's connected to a 1080p monitor. Again, I find it comfortable to work on the Mini from my iMac, but less so from the laptop.

If I were to upgrade my Macs right now, I'd opt for a powerful desktop with attached storage, and a cheaper, base laptop for my spouse and for kitchen and travel use. But then again, I don't travel much and don't mind sitting at my desk to work or play games!

So I think you should try to imagine, for each type of use (heavy task, or light task), where you would do it and with what screen would you like, for that usage? Good luck!

Reactions: canopic

canopic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Really helpful in making my decision…

…which was to spring for a space black MacBook Pro m3 pro 18gb 1TB 12 core that popped up on the Apple refurbished store for a good bit less than anywhere else.

I’ll be selling the Air shortly, it’s a big upgrade on the screen alone, never mind anything else.

In the future when I have the cash I might get the basest of base (256/8) m-class mini, with minimum everything just to act as a hub/“nas” for a few usb SSDs, so I don’t have to dangle them off the laptop. And also it can be a home for a backup hard drive that I can point the MacBook Pros time machine functionality at and backup my photo library. I looked into getting an actual NAS, but this actually seems less expensive and simpler, with lower idle power draw.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Since you decided to go with the laptop-as-replacement-desktop option, here's a couple of suggestions:

1) You could buy a vertical docking station and use it in clamshell mode. Clamshell is not my preferred option, but some like it--and I have to say that @rocketbuc 's motorized standing desk clamshell setup looks pretty slick.

2) Or, if you want to be able to use your MBP as an extra monitor, you might find this to be a nice setup:

a) Elevate the MBP off the desk using something like a Rain Design M-Stand ( https://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html ). That protects it from spills, and puts its display at eye level. The only downside is you won't be able use its KB or trackpad, so you'll need an external KB and trackpad or mouse. But you'll probably need those external devices anyways, unless your external monitor is very high.

b) If you don't already have one, buy a TB dock. With that, you may be able to connect to all your external devices by plugging in just a single cable. At the very least it, will reduce the number of cables you need to attach/detach. I use the Sonnet Echo 11, and it's silent (no fan) and rock-solid:
Others like the CalDigit products.

[I also tried the Sonnet Echo 5, and returned it because of issues, but that might have been a bad unit.]

Alternately, if you want something even cleaner, you might consider the SIIG TB dock (also fanless), since you can install two SSD's inside it. I say cleaner because, with my Sonnet, my two external backup SSD's are attached to it.]

Last edited:

canopic

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Great tips thanks, I’m looking into these clamshell mounts now as my desk is pretty small.

I was going to get a laptop tray adaptor for my ergotron vesa arm, but since my flippin studio display is not even vesa adaptable (without niche Reddit rumours that some apples stores will convert them for $200) I might just sling this idea and go clamshell dock route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.