Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mustafa Mirza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
hey i am looking forward to preorder IPhone x ,but there is no sim-free IPhone avilable online so please tell me which carrier offers factory unlocked iphone if i pay full...........i want to use it in pakistan so please suggest which option is suitable for me.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
hey i am looking forward to preorder IPhone x ,but there is no sim-free IPhone avilable online so please tell me which carrier offers factory unlocked iphone if i pay full...........i want to use it in pakistan so please suggest which option is suitable for me.

I believe the Verizon one

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
well i heard tmobile phones are factory unlocked and can be use anywhere......!!!!!
Yes T-mobile is unlocked and can be used anywhere. BUT it will not work on CDMA network like Verizon or Sprint in the U.S. So if you don't need CDMA network or your country doesn't have CDMA Network, then the T-mobile model will do just fine.

Reactions: bchreng

Mustafa Mirza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2017
Yes T-mobile is unlocked and can be used anywhere. BUT it will not work on CDMA network like Verizon or Sprint in the U.S. So if you don't need CDMA network or your country doesn't have CDMA Network, then the T-mobile model will do just fine.
Okey, please tell me that I want the factory unlocked GSM version, so do I need to activate the T-Mobile sim if I select T-Mobile version?
Plus if it doesn't require activation then is it possible for me to use it with any Carrier?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Okey, please tell me that I want the factory unlocked GSM version, so do I need to activate the T-Mobile sim if I select T-Mobile version?
Plus if it doesn't require activation then is it possible for me to use it with any Carrier?
I believe if you buy it outright at the Apple store it will be unlocked. No need to request an unlock. They sell you as "Device Only" so it won't require activation. Yes it will work on any GSM carrier. It will not work on CDMA carrier like Verizon and/or Sprint or any CDMA networks out there.

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Sim free is available for the 8. Is that not also expected to be available for the X?

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
I believe if you buy it outright at the Apple store it will be unlocked. No need to request an unlock. They sell you as "Device Only" so it won't require activation. Yes it will work on any GSM carrier. It will not work on CDMA carrier like Verizon and/or Sprint or any CDMA networks out there.

Buy the sim free Qualcomm model and it will work on all carriers

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Sim free is available for the 8. Is that not also expected to be available for the X?

I didn't bother to check before the preorders went life. Was the "sim free+option available before it was available for pre order?

Buy the sim free Qualcomm model and it will work on all carriers

It's not specified on the site right now. the iPhone 8 has V/T/S/ATT & Sim Free options... but the iPhone X only shows the big 4 (V/T/S/ATT) with not options currently for a Sim Free version. I have Verizon so I suppose thats fine by i need to order another one for AT&T and I don't want to get stuck again in Japan with a phone that isn't Sim unlocked.

BobZune

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
USA
When there is a supply constraint, SIM free versions aren't usually offered from Apple for a few to several weeks after the initial release. It looks like Apple has done a good job with the 8/8+ supply for initial release, but from all reports, X will be supply constrained for a while after the initial release. Besides, the X pre-orders don't even open till Oct 27. Your best bet to get it "soon" is to try to order one through a carrier when orders open, but I'd suspect they'd only sell them with a service contract in the early days.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
sim free version is not available thats why i am asking which carrier is unlocked????

I know Verizon comes unlocked for international SIMs but I'm not sure about domestic use. Please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Can a Verizon iPhone be used on T-mo / AT&T? Sprint?

amozo

macrumors member
May 20, 2015
I know Verizon comes unlocked for international SIMs but I'm not sure about domestic use. Please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Okay I have been wondering this as well and from what I've researched, if you have AT&T or T-Mobile you will need to have a phone that operates on a GSM network. If you are with Sprint or Verizon, you need a phone that will operate on a CDMA network. In the US, Sprint, Verizon and US Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. I am an AT&T user myself, which means I will be purchasing the unlocked T-Mobile version and paying in full up front so I can easily pop my AT&T sim card into it and voila I have my new phone with my number/contacts/everything in it. If you are not in the US, you should check to see what network your service runs on and make sure to get the unlocked version that is compatible.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

The Verizon iPhone X can be used on any network. The catch is that it is not sold sim free. You will need to be adding it to a Verizon account. The only one you can purchase outright is the T-Mo model which is GSM only.

Reactions: amozo

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Okay I have been wondering this as well and from what I've researched, if you have AT&T or T-Mobile you will need to have a phone that operates on a GSM network. If you are with Sprint or Verizon, you need a phone that will operate on a CDMA network. In the US, Sprint, Verizon and US Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. I am an AT&T user myself, which means I will be purchasing the unlocked T-Mobile version and paying in full up front so I can easily pop my AT&T sim card into it and voila I have my new phone with my number/contacts/everything in it. If you are not in the US, you should check to see what network your service runs on and make sure to get the unlocked version that is compatible.

The thing is I think a Verizon phone has the radio bands to run on all 4 networks. However the t-mo and att models can only switch between each other and don’t run on sprint or Verizon. I think sprint is the same in that it has all the bands for all 4 networks however Sprint locks the sim by default. Meaning Verizon is the only one that can run on all 4 once it’s been activated.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
No SIM for iPhone X for a few months since it's a scalper's paradise.

The 8s had SIM Free at launch since demand was low computing the supply.

Lorenzo123

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
On the website , if You select any carrier and select full purchase, it says unlocked with sim of that carrier you’ve selected.
Seems like all phones will be unlocked right?

Attachments

• 3BE79E56-1D88-473A-85B9-7CA7FA4E231D.jpeg
    3BE79E56-1D88-473A-85B9-7CA7FA4E231D.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,307

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
On the website , if You select any carrier and select full purchase, it says unlocked with sim of that carrier you’ve selected.
Seems like all phones will be unlocked right?
Correct, however you will need to have an account with the carrier to proceed as it will ask for your carrier info. If you don't have an account with AT&T then you can simply get the T-mobile model as it's the same exact one and T-Mobile doesn't ask for your account info.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I think sprint is the same in that it has all the bands for all 4 networks however Sprint locks the sim by default. Meaning Verizon is the only one that can run on all 4 once it’s been activated.
If you purchase a sprint model at full price from Apple it is unlocked, just like Verizon’s. Just pop another sim in and viola.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Domestic unlock and international unlock can be different. Someone in another thread was complaining they bought a verizion ip8 at full price at Best Buy (iirc) and it wouldn't activate back in India.

TinaNYCTower

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2017
If you purchase a sprint model at full price from Apple it is unlocked, just like Verizon’s. Just pop another sim in and viola.

So a sprint model will work on Verizon and Verizon model will work on sprint? Confirmed?

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
So a sprint model will work on Verizon and Verizon model will work on sprint? Confirmed?

Technically they can. However either carrier is loath to add the enmi number of the opposite carrier to their database. It can be done, but usually requires lots of patience, persistence and luck. Sprint is the most gigantic pain about unlocking their phones.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
Can one open a new account with Verizon with a qualified device, pre-order the iPX from Apple and activate, then close the account...and have an unlocked phone? Or would Verizon CDMA lock it due to the short duration of the new account?

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The Verizon iPhone X can be used on any network. The catch is that it is not sold sim free. You will need to be adding it to a Verizon account. The only one you can purchase outright is the T-Mo model which is GSM only.

Well not online. The verizon phone can be purchased in store for full price and no carrier info, but that might not be an option.

The problem this year is that all of phones except the t-mobile variant require carrier info.

If you are using a prepaid CDMA provider, you are simply going to be out of luck unless the SIM free shows up on preorder day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.