Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jojomar

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
USA
I believe if you buy it outright at the Apple store it will be unlocked. No need to request an unlock. They sell you as "Device Only" so it won't require activation. Yes it will work on any GSM carrier. It will not work on CDMA carrier like Verizon and/or Sprint or any CDMA networks out there.
[doublepost=1508861468][/doublepost]Unlocked phones from US Apple Stores will work on any network including CDMA. My unlocked iPhone 7 bought unlocked from Apple has been used on ATT, Sprint, Telstra (Austrlia) and o2 in the UK. doubt they will have day one in stores in the US.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
[doublepost=1508861468][/doublepost]Unlocked phones from US Apple Stores will work on any network including CDMA. My unlocked iPhone 7 bought unlocked from Apple has been used on ATT, Sprint, Telstra (Austrlia) and o2 in the UK. doubt they will have day one in stores in the US.

correct.

There are two different models of the iphone X, one is a GSM only phone and one supports CDMA and GSM. Since the SIM free phone (same as the GSM/CDMA combo phone) is not being sold at launch, the only phone people can buy for full price without carrier info is the T-mobile variant. That is a GSM only phone and would not work on Sprint, Verizon, or CDMA prepaid carriers.

With all of that said, if you camp outside the apple store you could buy a Verizon/Sprint model for full price without carrier info. That would work just like the SIM free.

willzyx

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016
Domestic unlock and international unlock can be different. Someone in another thread was complaining they bought a verizion ip8 at full price at Best Buy (iirc) and it wouldn't activate back in India.

There is no difference between domestic unlock or international unlock. Sim unlock is a sim unlock. It's done once and only once. It cannot be reversed or blocked. Whoever complained about that clearly didn't know what they were doing.

Ayooosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
There is no difference between domestic unlock or international unlock. Sim unlock is a sim unlock. It's done once and only once. It cannot be reversed or blocked. Whoever complained about that clearly didn't know what they were doing.

So if i buy a t mobile phone online, pay full upfront, will i have to first activate it with a t mobile sim only?
I have preordered the phone and will be using india, t mobile will work just fine as i will be using gsm network only.
The only problem is activating it with a t mobile sim.

unfeomateo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2003
So if i buy a t mobile phone online, pay full upfront, will i have to first activate it with a t mobile sim only?
I have preordered the phone and will be using india, t mobile will work just fine as i will be using gsm network only.
The only problem is activating it with a t mobile sim.

I would also like to buy a T-mobile phone then use it on ATT. Is this confirmed to work?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I would also like to buy a T-mobile phone then use it on ATT. Is this confirmed to work?

carrier-compatibility-chart.png

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/26/iphone-x-carrier-compatibilitiy/

unfeomateo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2003

willzyx

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2016
I know the phone can work on ATT but I have the same concern Ayooosh has: will i have to first activate it with a t mobile sim?

I do not have a T-mobile account. I am on a business ATT plan and I am not able to buy the phone from Apple and I do not want to have to deal with going through my company to get one.

In the past, if you bought an iPhone at full price (even carrier ones), it would automatically become unlocked once you connect to iTunes. With X, it's slightly different. If you buy online, you will have to provide your account details. If you buy in store at full price, no details necessary and the device will unlock once connected to iTunes.

unfeomateo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2003
In the past, if you bought an iPhone at full price (even carrier ones), it would automatically become unlocked once you connect to iTunes. With X, it's slightly different. If you buy online, you will have to provide your account details. If you buy in store at full price, no details necessary and the device will unlock once connected to iTunes.

Still need clarification. You say "If you buy online, you will have to provide your account details." This does not appear to be true with T-mobile. I can order the phone with no info. If I do this do I have to activate the phone with T-mobile first? Can I just swap my ATT sim card?

parterburn

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2017
Boulder, CO
Here's a little hack I just did on Best Buy's site to get a sim-free and unlocked version of the Verizon/universal iPhone X without having to enter any Verizon credentials (this is the superior version that will have higher resell value).

It also came in 2 days even though it said it would take 3 weeks (and I ordered well after the pre-sale).
  1. Visit http://bit.ly/bestbuy-iphonex (disclaimer: affiliate link)
  2. Open Chrome and then press Ctrl+Shift+J (Windows / Linux) or Cmd+Opt+J (Mac) to open console
  3. In console run:
    Code:
    $("[data-plan-id='retail-price']").show()
  4. Purchase Unactivated price option for $1,099.99
It's $100 more than Apple, but your credit card may have price protection to refund that back to you. I tried getting Best Buy to price match to Apple, but was unsuccessful. Their live chat support was also confused at how I was buying the full priced unlocked version :)

If you found this useful and want to share, I appreciate a RT here: https://twitter.com/parterburn/status/930435350148800513

Reactions: daraj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.