Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
OSX 10.13.6. How do I print test page? HP OfficeJet 6970 all in one?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Go to System Preferences, then Printer & Scanner preferences pane.
Select your printer in the list, then open the Printer Queue.
Go to the Printer menu, and choose Print Test Page.

borgward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
Thanks.
I just cleaned up inkjet printer. Works now. I go through periods of non use and it finally clogged up. Any thoughts about what to print and how often just to keep it in condition. I thought test page because it prints all the colors and black. Don't know if that is enough. I want to avoid using the printhead cleaning option as that is wasteful if I do it all the time.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Ah, yes, most inkjets need to print occasionally - kinda goes with the inkjet tech.
Working in a service shop, I've seen lots of clogged printers.
I remember working on cheaper Epson printers in late '90s that would have dried ink in the printhead, and would just refuse to clean out. I tried lots of tricks: soaking printhead in 90% alcohol, plus some other types of solvents, and nothing much helped except trying (multiple) test pages, with epson-brand ink. Even that was not always successful. At that time, I recommended doing test page once a month, just to try to keep the ink flowing a little bit. I think that's still a useful tip - inkjet technology is better now than Canon's early inkjets in mid-90s
Worst way to treat an inkjet is to move it to the high shelf in the closet, and leave it there for a couple of years. Good luck getting that one to work again...

borgward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2021
Ah, yes, most inkjets need to print occasionally - kinda goes with the inkjet tech.
Working in a service shop, I've seen lots of clogged printers.
I remember working on cheaper Epson printers in late '90s that would have dried ink in the printhead, and would just refuse to clean out. I tried lots of tricks: soaking printhead in 90% alcohol, plus some other types of solvents, and nothing much helped except trying (multiple) test pages, with epson-brand ink. Even that was not always successful. At that time, I recommended doing test page once a month, just to try to keep the ink flowing a little bit. I think that's still a useful tip - inkjet technology is better now than Canon's early inkjets in mid-90s
Worst way to treat an inkjet is to move it to the high shelf in the closet, and leave it there for a couple of years. Good luck getting that one to work again...
I put distilled water on the print heads, ran cleaning program several times and finally sprayed DeoxIT 5 on each print head. I then ran the cleaning program afterwards. That worked. DeoxIT D5 is a non destructive contact cleaner. Guitar techs use it on vintage guitar controllers. works good on Rapidograph technical pens as well. I always use HP ink cartridges. HP InstantInk sends me supplies before I run out. About $6 per month. Thats cheaper than buying 1 large Black ink cartridge at the store (if they have it)

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.