Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
So I learn that my phone is charge crippled for Apple to be pretend to be “green”, never mind their non user replaceable parts….but I’m sure “that’s different” 😂

Yeah so this phone slows down it’s charge rate based on where it THINKS I get my electrical power from

So obviously I go to setting, battery, battery health and turn that BS off

Then I think to myself, how does it know where I am charging, I go to privacy and system services, we’ll the battery green nanny BS isn’t listed as a location requesting service…. So is it a process Apple refuses to let you control sending your location from, or is tied to another service?

Not impressed Apple

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So I learn that my phone is charge crippled for Apple to be pretend to be “green”, never mind their non user replaceable parts….but I’m sure “that’s different” 😂

Yeah so this phone slows down it’s charge rate based on where it THINKS I get my electrical power from

So obviously I go to setting, battery, battery health and turn that BS off

Then I think to myself, how does it know where I am charging, I go to privacy and system services, we’ll the battery green nanny BS isn’t listed as a location requesting service…. So is it a process Apple refuses to let you control sending your location from, or is tied to another service?

Not impressed Apple
If you ever connect to LTE, your phone location is given away by the tower. You can't stop that.

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
If you ever connect to LTE, your phone location is given away by the tower. You can't stop that.

Depends, I use VPNs, which helps on the data side, but if you’re talking a heat map based off the tower im connected to, yeah

Question, if you are cooking and have a small fire in your pan, do you toss the flaming grease/butter/whatever on your curtains too? I mean since you already have a fire anyways

Personally I like to lower my signature best I can, it will never be 100% but that’s a pretty dumb excuse to just say “f’ it”

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Depends, I use VPNs, which helps on the data side, but if you’re talking a heat map based off the tower im connected to, yeah

Question, if you are cooking and have a small fire in your pan, do you toss the flaming grease/butter/whatever on your curtains too? I mean since you already have a fire anyways

Personally I like to lower my signature best I can, it will never be 100% but that’s a pretty dumb excuse to just say “f’ it”
Your question was "how does the phone know the location where it is charging"? I offered a possible answer. It has nothing to do with throwing gasoline on the fire.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
VPN does not protect against getting ids of connected cellular network and all around, silly… :)
I could not tell much but just cellular even without data is enough to get proximity coords of where you are and where you were. Additionally you are not all the time connected to the same cell tower so it’s getting even more closer.

All Bluetooth devices around and WiFi networks are enough to get more details :)

1677610689663.jpeg

Don’t worry, Android and Google are even worse… they logged all data on phone without set up Google services :)

Last edited:

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Just turn the feature off? I am sorry to sound this way, but it is literally a switch in the settings and this "charging nonsense" doesn't affect majority of people who just charge their phones all night and for the average person using power during off peak hours can be big maybe not just one phone, but anything that operates overnight. It is the same reason I use the "delay 4 hours" feature on my dishwasher, I usually need to run the dishwasher ever other day or so and I set it to run in 4 hours around 8pm so that when it runs it is during the off peak hours. Honestly if I could do the same with washer and dryer I would. In very few emergency situations where you need to rush out the house say to the hospital or something and your phone may not be fully charged is a rare instance and if it isn't rare for you either turn off the setting or ensure you have chargers like I keep one in a backpack, camera bag, 2 in my car, and one at work so pretty much any emergency I would have the ability to get/keep a charge.

The "Clean Charging" doesn't need your precise location by any means especially since most areas probably have one or two available power companies to even go through and having the location guessed within a few blocks would more than likely correctly guess which company if you have two available. All the areas I have lived in several states only had one power company that supplied to that house and the surrounding area, nothing Apple states also says the data is sent to the power company and it just is used to get their information

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Your question was "how does the phone know the location where it is charging"? I offered a possible answer. It has nothing to do with throwing gasoline on the fire.

Fair enough, but normally on the iPhone it shows the different system services requesting location, seems Apple isn’t showing this “service”

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Just turn the feature off? I am sorry to sound this way, but it is literally a switch in the settings and this "charging nonsense" doesn't affect majority of people who just charge their phones all night and for the average person using power during off peak hours can be big maybe not just one phone, but anything that operates overnight. It is the same reason I use the "delay 4 hours" feature on my dishwasher, I usually need to run the dishwasher ever other day or so and I set it to run in 4 hours around 8pm so that when it runs it is during the off peak hours. Honestly if I could do the same with washer and dryer I would. In very few emergency situations where you need to rush out the house say to the hospital or something and your phone may not be fully charged is a rare instance and if it isn't rare for you either turn off the setting or ensure you have chargers like I keep one in a backpack, camera bag, 2 in my car, and one at work so pretty much any emergency I would have the ability to get/keep a charge.

The "Clean Charging" doesn't need your precise location by any means especially since most areas probably have one or two available power companies to even go through and having the location guessed within a few blocks would more than likely correctly guess which company if you have two available. All the areas I have lived in several states only had one power company that supplied to that house and the surrounding area, nothing Apple states also says the data is sent to the power company and it just is used to get their information

It should be off by default, or for how little power it takes to charge a critical device, the green feature shouldn’t exist, if I put my phone on charge I want to to charge right friggin now, otherwise I wouldn’t have put it on charge 🤷‍♂️

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
VPN does not protect against getting ids of connected cellular network and all around, silly… :)
I could not tell much but just cellular even without data is enough to get proximity coords of where you are and where you were. Additionally you are not all the time connected to the same cell tower so it’s getting even more closer.

All Bluetooth devices around and WiFi networks are enough to get more details :)

View attachment 2166085

Don’t worry, Android and Google are even worse… they logged all data on phone without set up Google services :)

Indeed

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
You also usually have your billing address on your Apple ID account, so it would know where you live based on that...

Your billing / shipping / car registration and so on address should never be where your family sleeps

My home address isn’t on ANYTHING, my work doesn’t have it, registrations don’t have it, shipping addresses it’s not, I have a mailbox for all of that, plus if you’re away your mail is much safer there

Mailboxes are a very smart move for people

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
It should be off by default, or for how little power it takes to charge a critical device, the green feature shouldn’t exist, if I put my phone on charge I want to to charge right friggin now, otherwise I wouldn’t have put it on charge 🤷‍♂️
I do agree with you on that point, but do you not read the updates before installing them? This update only recently blew up in social media, but this update was an October update..

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I do agree with you on that point, but do you not read the updates before installing them? This update only recently blew up in social media, but this update was an October update..

I normally don’t run Apple updates, I had to run this one because of my watch

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Your billing / shipping / car registration and so on address should never be where your family sleeps

My home address isn’t on ANYTHING, my work doesn’t have it, registrations don’t have it, shipping addresses it’s not, I have a mailbox for all of that, plus if you’re away your mail is much safer there

Mailboxes are a very smart move for people
I don't know where you live, but where I live where the car is registered is usually where the car is principally garaged and that affects the insurance rates. As far as work not having your home address, if a background check is needed that would fail.

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I don't know where you live, but where I live where the car is registered is usually where the car is principally garaged and that affects the insurance rates. As far as work not having your home address, if a background check is needed that would fail.

Car is close enough

Work, I have background checks, never been a issue

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Surprised about background checks. P/O boxes don't pass the litmus test.

I just use the street address, not a PO Box, needing to know where I live to tell if I’m a bad guy also doesn’t pass the litmus test

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Maybe for your job, it's different for others in regulated industries.

I’m in a federally over regulated industry, complete with silly KCM badges and all, not sure knowing where I sleep would make the world safer, the silly background checks seem to agree

No one really cares 🤷‍♂️

WoodTableFromIkea

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022
Florida

But isn't it much better to complain on the internet about something as trivial as this?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It’s optional, so just turn it off. As for location, there’s location services on your phone, that’s how other features like find my phone works. And the power grid status is provided by the power grid companies.

This sort of feature will show up on other devices as well. Windows 11 already have a “carbon aware” setting in Windows Update.

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
But isn't it much better to complain on the internet about something as trivial as this?

Lol

It’s not something many people I talk to know about, and it’s something when I told them they all turned off

In my industry it’s called a PIREP and a heads up to bad stuff is normally welcomed

Vref

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
It’s optional, so just turn it off. As for location, there’s location services on your phone, that’s how other features like find my phone works. And the power grid status is provided by the power grid companies.

This sort of feature will show up on other devices as well. Windows 11 already have a “carbon aware” setting in Windows Update.

So where is green nonsense, or carbon, or whatever listed? I don’t see it

The crippling of my charging is also hidden under a few menus

I don’t get if this is so great why it’s not a prompt on the first startup after update, or why the carbon footprint crap isn’t clearly listed under the location services, I mean they have “compass calibration” but not “judging me based on where I get power”?

Maybe because they knew it wasn’t going to go over well, but couldn’t help themselves?

PlainBelliedSneetch

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2017
So where is green nonsense, or carbon, or whatever listed? I don’t see it

The crippling of my charging is also hidden under a few menus

I don’t get if this is so great why it’s not a prompt on the first startup after update, or why the carbon footprint crap isn’t clearly listed under the location services, I mean they have “compass calibration” but not “judging me based on where I get power”?

Maybe because they knew it wasn’t going to go over well, but couldn’t help themselves?

I turned it off right away. I figured it didn’t know I have solar.

Reactions: snak-atak and Vref
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.