Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MriX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Germany
I don't know about BootChamp, but you installed Windows 10 in Uefi mode, that means the disk windows is on is GUID. Apple's StartUp Disk expects a MBR disk to boot Windows, it's not finding the first stage bootloader in the disks MBR, that's why it won't work. The only solution if you want to be able to boot Windows 10 with Apple's StartUp disk, is you must find a way you install Windows in Legacy Bios mode.

I'm not sure Windows 10 is supported on a 5,1, for Bootcamp, so you may need to hack the Bootcamp.app to make a Windows 10 USB key that you can use to install Windows in Legacy Bios mode.

Really Windows 10 runs better in Uefi mode, tho the 5,1 has a custom EFI that is not fully UEFI compliant.

What I would do is create a Shell Script that "Blesses" the Windows Boot Manager EFI file, it should be on the hidden EFI partition of the disk you installed Windows to. All you would have to do, in the macOS, if you wanted to boot Windows is run the Shell script.

As to booting the macOS from Windows, when the MacOS is installed on APSF, you just need to update the Windows drivers for the ones from a newer Mac that Supports Windows 10. Used to be you could edit Bootcamp's info.plist, aand just add your Mac to the section of a mac that supported Windows 10, and bootcamp would download the later drivers and Startup disk utility for Windows, that should support APFS disks. I think Apple changed the bootcamp info.plist so it's not as easy to edit.

I'm on the road, so I don't have any mac's with me, but when I get home I'll see if I can figure out how to edit bootcamp's info.plist to "Support" your mac.

I'll check and see if I can help you with the correct syntax for a shell script to Bless Windows boot manager.
[doublepost=1510049681][/doublepost]You may need to Disable CSR, and run this command in a Terminal session:

Code:
systemsetup -liststartupdisks

See what it returns.

To disable CSR you'll have to boot from you macOS Recovery partition, there are some instructions for doing it blind, for people with PC Graphics card roms.

Do a search of the forums and you should be able to find it.
[doublepost=1510052161][/doublepost]

I think this command is what is needed, but you'll need to run:

Code:
diskutil list

To find the proper EFI partition, assuming you installed Windows on it's own disk, and it is formatted GUID, replace disk0s1 with the disk that diskutil list says has a "Microsoft Basic Data" partition type. You don't want to bless that partition, that should just tell you what disk. So, for example if you see a "Microsoft Basic Data" partition on disk2sX then you want to bless /dev/disk2s1, as "s1" should always be the EFI partition, it just means the first partition of disk2.

Like I say, you must use crsutil --disable from your macOS recovery partition first, because in El Cap and later the NVRAM is protected, and can't be written to, even by the root user, unless you disable it.

Thanks for your detailed clarification!

BootChamp executes exactly that bless command you wrote. That works pretty well with disabled SIP.

The problem is that Apple hasn’t developed an APFS driver for Windows.
So the „Restart in OS X“ function does not work as stated in this support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208123

Apples workaround is to use the ALT-key method, but this does not work for me, because I have a PC graphic card and cannot see the boot menu.

Do you mean the info.plist file for the Bootcamp App in macOS?
There is also the Apple Software Update Tool in Windows, which should search for Bootcamp/driver updates. In the past I used a MacBook Air 2014 to get the driver for the Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard, because these drivers were only rolled out via this mechanism and are not included in the Bootcamp Driver USB Stick.

MriX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Germany
Now I archieved that BootChamp only boots once to Windows.

Steps:
—> Install original graphics card in the Mac
—> PRAM reset
—> disable SIP again
—> boot with BootChamp in Windows
—> ALT-key and select Mac Volume
—> set your Mac Volume as startup disk
—> put back your new PC graphics card

Reactions: h9826790

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I gave up on Bootcamp .. . there were too many unexplainable glitches especially at times when I really had to be running Windows for business at that exact moment.

I resorted to having first Win 7 and recently Win 8.1 clean installs on dedicated hard drives.
The most crucial part of the WIN installations was first installing the correct "basic" graphics card driver - in my case - for an HIS HD 7950 which does not have Win 8.1 drivers on the supplied Drivers DVD. I downloaded the correct driver from AMD's site and after a re-boot, no problems .

I have not ever needed to install Bootcamp drivers - so far everything, keyboard, mouse, WiFi, Bluetooth .. all work.

I use DropBox to swap files around.

Of course a correctly running Bootcamp setup is very desirable for most users but I'm happy just to have a reliable 100% working Win 8.1 for the times I absolutely need it. Which is rarely thank God.

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Thanks for your detailed clarification!

BootChamp executes exactly that bless command you wrote. That works pretty well with disabled SIP.

The problem is that Apple hasn’t developed an APFS driver for Windows.
So the „Restart in OS X“ function does not work as stated in this support article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208123

Apples workaround is to use the ALT-key method, but this does not work for me, because I have a PC graphic card and cannot see the boot menu.

Do you mean the info.plist file for the Bootcamp App in macOS?
There is also the Apple Software Update Tool in Windows, which should search for Bootcamp/driver updates. In the past I used a MacBook Air 2014 to get the driver for the Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Keyboard, because these drivers were only rolled out via this mechanism and are not included in the Bootcamp Driver USB Stick.
I was unaware that there is no APFS driver for Windows, having to Alt-boot to get back to the macOS is very un Apple like solution.

There is a thread around here about using a modified rEFId to load the GOP rom and give boot displays on PC graphics cards. That really sound like the best bet, when I get home Sunday I'll see is I can compile the patched version of rEFId and post a link to it on my google drive.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I was unaware that there is no APFS driver for Windows, having to Alt-boot to get back to the macOS is very un Apple like solution.

There is a thread around here about using a modified rEFId to load the GOP rom and give boot displays on PC graphics cards. That really sound like the best bet, when I get home Sunday I'll see is I can compile the patched version of rEFId and post a link to it on my google drive.

I am also interested in this project, however, I know extremely little about how to compile software. If there is anything I can help. e.g. You need some tester. Please let me know. As long as have proper instruction. I should able to follow it and assist you a bit.

MriX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Germany

Could you share a link to this project?
A lot of my colleagues are software developers, so they could help me.

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I am also interested in this project, however, I know extremely little about how to compile software. If there is anything I can help. e.g. You need some tester. Please let me know. As long as have proper instruction. I should able to follow it and assist you a bit.

Once I compile it, I'll post a link for everyone, it builds in Linux, and I'm on the road with only my Chromebook(Arm). I have a full Linux install on my Chromebook, but I'm not sure how to setup a cross compiler for EDK2, so it will be Sunday before I'm able t start work on it. It's not too difficult to build, but EDK2 is a large download.

Check the link below for build instructions, or wait till I can post the precomplied binary.

Could you share a link to this project?
A lot of my colleagues are software developers, so they could help me.

https://sourceforge.net/u/jief7/refind/ci/master/tree/

That's the tree with the modified GOP loader, I haven't tested it myself, but the build seems pretty straight forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.