Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ummjackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
San Francisco
Got mine earlier in the week and immediately noticed the noise when the laptop was tilted from side to side (I typically use the laptop on a small lap desk so it's noticeable whenever I adjust how I'm sitting - the thing slides inside).

Video of the noise @ https://twitter.com/ummjackson/status/794688113129844736

A bit of Googling suggests this problem was present in 2015 MBPs and the 12" MacBook as well, which I've been able to verify with several machines in person and on Twitter as well. It seems to be caused by a plastic sheet called a "light guide" sliding from left to right inside the display - it as a couple millimeters of space either side and the adhesive tape comes unstuck with a bit of use (likely the heat?).

Visiting the Genius Bar in an hour to see if they can fix it, hope there is a solution. It's incredibly annoying to have paid ~$2k for a machine that has a piece of plastic rattling around inside out of the box. A $300 Chromebook wouldn't have that problem.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Willing to bet that it's some sort of motion sensor.. How often do you find yourself twisting your MacBook from side to side in a normal day though?

Maybe it's the dogecoin's rattling around?!?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It's actually an initiative set by Apple to include some miniature musical instrument in their mobile displays for laptops. It is so you can pretend you're a can-can dancer chucking your dress about with a soothing rattle in the background.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and hj576

ummjackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
San Francisco
Visited the Genius Bar, they told me that Apple HQ had told them that for all MacBook models this sound is "normal". I handed the laptop to the representative and he instantly remarked "oh wow, that doesn't feel right at all".

Before figuring out the exchange / repair logistics I quickly ran downstairs to test out the display models, and to my surprise *all* of the demo models had the same piece of plastic sliding around inside their display. It's very jarring.

Will be returning my MBP 2016 tomorrow for a full refund... I was already having doubts with the build quality (that reflective Apple logo feels cheap) and the heat of the machine (this machine runs hot, noticeably so through the keyboard) so this was the last straw. Windows, here I come.

Softwarez

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2016
That doesn't sound good at all. Is it on both the 13 and 15inch models?

^Ignore that. That was real stupid on my part.

Last edited:

ummjackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
San Francisco
Unfortunately the 15" isn't in stores and hasn't shipped yet - although I did try out a previous gen 15" rMBP in store and noticed a similar type of movement behind the display, albeit a lot less fluid (you really had to shake it). The new 2016 rMBP 13" makes a thud when you simply tilt it slightly left or right. During my time with the machine I noticed that it seems to run a little hotter than my late-2013 rMBP, so perhaps that heat + the thinness of the machine is causing the adhesive to come loose.

I was so pumped all year for this machine, so it's been a really painful couple of days coming to realization that I can't justify paying $2,199 (I upgraded to the i7/16/512 specs) for something with a random piece of plastic floating around in it. A $300 Chromebook wouldn't have that kind of design flaw.

A few people have verified via Twitter that they're seeing the same issues in their machines too, so it doesn't seem like this is isolated. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news folks :(

Reactions: domsodidavid

ummjackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
San Francisco
Are we really to the stage of pedantry where we violently shake our laptops and then complain when they make a noise?

If you watch the video, simply tilting it from left to right causes the sheet of plastic to slide and make this thud. Just adjusting how I was sitting on my couch would cause this, and I'd feel the plastic thud with my hands + the hear the noise.

Now if this was a cheap <$1k machine then maybe I'd excuse such a design flaw... but when Jony Ive talks about how this is design "perfection" and then asks me to spend >$2k for decent specs, I think it's totally fair to expect random plastic pieces to not be floating around in your device?

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Didn't monitor this closely, sorry. I noticed the display itself got quite warm in comparison with previous models. While charging via USB-C the keyboard was noticeably warm to the touch.
Intel Macs have the same default curves for a decade. Fans stay at min rpm (2000 or so) until your processor reaches 90C and then speed up when needed to keep it there. That results in very hot laptops during mild to normal use while fans idle.

It's also the reason most people think that Macs have bad cooling and overheat while they have reasonably adequate heatsinks, awesome quality fans and very good thermal interface application atm.

Installing Fan control software to change that ridiculous curve to something linear is the first thing I do for any Macbook. And you should do as well, if you care about temps.

I tested the 2016 rMBP 13" non-touchbar and it's cooling system is very capable. It's an extremely cool machine after you install MacsFansControl.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Any one else face this issue ?
And people saying he is complaining too much, come on, the machine costs over 1500 EURO, I dont expect it to have lose plastic in it

Reactions: ColdShadow

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Some googling answered the question.. maybe..?

It's a sheet of plastic that sits behind the screen assembly. Apparently, it can move. No idea of its purpose, but I'm willing to bet the movement is on purpose.

Solution: don't go out of your way to make it rattle. Problem solved!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
You really have to shake mine to get it to make noise and even then you can barely hear it. If you tilt it side to side normally it doesn't make a noise.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Got mine earlier in the week and immediately noticed the noise when the laptop was tilted from side to side (I typically use the laptop on a small lap desk so it's noticeable whenever I adjust how I'm sitting - the thing slides inside).

Video of the noise @ https://twitter.com/ummjackson/status/794688113129844736

A bit of Googling suggests this problem was present in 2015 MBPs and the 12" MacBook as well, which I've been able to verify with several machines in person and on Twitter as well. It seems to be caused by a plastic sheet called a "light guide" sliding from left to right inside the display - it as a couple millimeters of space either side and the adhesive tape comes unstuck with a bit of use (likely the heat?).

Visiting the Genius Bar in an hour to see if they can fix it, hope there is a solution. It's incredibly annoying to have paid ~$2k for a machine that has a piece of plastic rattling around inside out of the box. A $300 Chromebook wouldn't have that problem.

Where are you getting your evidence that it's the light guide?

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Will be returning my MBP 2016 tomorrow for a full refund... I was already having doubts with the build quality (that reflective Apple logo feels cheap) and the heat of the machine (this machine runs hot, noticeably so through the keyboard) so this was the last straw. Windows, here I come.

Yes, the Apple logo was always the main reason to use the Mac instead of Windows.

Also, we know that Windows laptops are known for build quality and staying cool.

Good luck shaking your future laptops.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I'm still amazed people are making this into an issue...

I'm still holding on that it's simply a byproduct of force touch, - considering it occurs on *all* MacBooks with it, and only started once force touch came about.

I never had the issue on my 2012/2014 MacBook Pro - suddenly had it on my 2015 MacBook Pro. My wife bought the 12" MacBook - had the issue too. I bought a 2016 MacBook Pro - there it is.

I'm at the Apple Store/Best Buy, and tested out the ones there - they *literally all* have this.

This has come and gone on other forums, it's old news from 2015, and never has been an issue for myself or anyone that has posted.

You're fine, the sky isn't falling, if it really bothers you then go back to a non-force touch model.

Or just stop shaking the poor thing.

reasonrulaz

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
I want to add an update..

When I got third replacement 15" tbMBPro, this prob is the second thing that I checked (first one is manufacture date from serial number).. I don't checked old ones for this problem.. So I don't know if these ones also had issue..

But last one seems affected this "sliding loose thing inside laptop" problem.. So, after my investigation arround web pages about that prob,, I decided it's not a problem for me.

Today is the second day with my last mb pro with heavy usage, and the problem is GONE... This morning I slide left-right, up-down very hardly but, I can't hear any sliding object sound.. Then I check it two times when the machine powered off for 2-3 hours.. Yes, it's GONE..

So, my theory is maybe there is a layer which is not stick next to it, but its factory glued.. Maybe for a some reason it's not perfectly stick each other with glue until actual daily usage.. When the machine gets hot, layers get stick next to it..

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
I did shake my mbp now and I also got this issue.
I did shake it some time to try to locate were the sound are coming from and sure thing it's from the display.

Also when I tilt it from side to side I can hear it.
So, I'll stop shake it now and I don't think it's any issue, I got warranty for 3 years trough AppleCare so if something happens they need to repair it and due to the posts on all forum on the internet they can't deny the sound.

WillNN

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2016
What's the fans rpm when it runs hot?

I don't know it this helps answer your question. I use SMC Fan control. It says 42 degrees C 4767 rpm.
2017 15" MacBook Pro. It's very consistently in the 40s.
I didn't get the rattling plastic feature, but I do have the random-effects trackpad. (Who says Surrealism is dead?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.