Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
No I don't think so. I'm not looking to spend the price on the XSi. I can get the XTi which is plenty fine for me (body only) for $300 or with the 18-55mm lens for about $420. The Xsi is more than I'm willing to spend right now.

This will be plenty fine.

I highly doubt that those are legitimate prices unless you have some sort of super secret hookup, and in which case you would not be asking these questions.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I highly doubt that those are legitimate prices unless you have some sort of super secret hookup, and in which case you would not be asking these questions.

No super secret hookup. Just google and some investigative work. It's very easy to find good deals.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
really? i just got my XT with the lens kit for 400 bucks and i thought i got a good deal...i looked around i dont see hoe you are getting a XTi body for 300.. or the kit lens one for 420...:eek:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Stop by Barnes & Noble & Borders & pick up a book on digital photography to get you started.
Do you have any specific recommendations for a digital photography book? Are there one or two authors that are clearly head-and-shoulders above the others?

Thanks!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
No super secret hookup. Just google and some investigative work. It's very easy to find good deals.

No, you're getting screwed. Let me guess... is it from
ShopCartUSA.com
PricingDepot.com
lowpricedigital.com

Or any variant? Those are not legitimate deals in any way, shape or form. $400 for a used XTi body is a great deal, those are impossible.

Juanster, you got a fine deal too. KKat doesn't have a deal, he's got a scam.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
It's not like we want to rain on your parade but it has bait and switch written all over it.

If you do get it at that price, great but I'll watch my credit card statement closely.

And here's a quote from The-Digital-Picture.com which seems appropriate. Replace the word lens with camera.

If you ever opened a photography magazine up to the full-page ads in the back, you have undoubtedly seen some eye-opening deals from some certain retailers. Well, they are likely not as they appear.

The unscrupulous retailers play a large number of games to hook you - and the first game is a very low advertised price. It creates a desire and excitement that some people can't control. And you will not end up with the Canon lens you want for the advertised price.

The games played varies, but a common one is that you get a phone call after you place your order. They will likely try to sell you some overpriced accessories such as filter kits. Or they may inform you that the advertised lens was an imported version and that they are out of stock - BUT they just happen to have the USA version in stock - for more money of course. The may tell you that the imported lens is plastic but the USA version is metal (Canon does not make two versions of the same lens). A similar scam refers to the lens mount being plastic on a lens that Canon manufactures with a metal mount (most of them).

If they do sell you the lens, it will likely be missing something that is normally included with that model. This includes lens hoods, pouches, cases ... and likely the warranty. Many of these low-ball retailers sell non-warranted lenses.

Another game played is that the item simply never shows up - but your credit card gets charged. You can spend a huge amount of time getting the situation and your account settled.

Oh - and be sure to find out what they are charging for shipping. It is often more eye-opening than their low-ball prices.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Ok all I had to read was Rebel XTi for $300 to realize its a scam. Please, before you buy, check www.resellerratings.com. There are soooo many photography scam sites out there. General rule: If its less $$$ then what BH Photo or Adorama offer it for its a scam.

Usually what these scam sites will do is after you buy it, they call you to "Verify your account" and some fast talking upseller gets on the line and lies to you saying things like "Thats the model that doesnt come with the battery, the battery is this much more" then talks you into a fake mack photo warranty etc etc.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Ooo and some tips:

I didnt read the whole post but I saw some questions about photog books and I thought Id chime in cause it sounds like your new:

- Fancy gear will not make you a better photog, only practice and patience will as well as harsh, real constructive criticism. For that post your images on www.fredmiranda.com. You will learn a lot from the people there.

-DONT use auto modes ever on your camera. The only way to learn is to dive straight into the "creative modes" (Aperature/Shutter priority modes are good to start in, then move to manual mode).

-Understand light. Lighting is more important then anything in my opinion. Without good light its hard to get a good picture.

-Practice practice practice!

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
No, you're getting screwed. Let me guess... is it from
ShopCartUSA.com
PricingDepot.com
lowpricedigital.com

Or any variant? Those are not legitimate deals in any way, shape or form. $400 for a used XTi body is a great deal, those are impossible.

Juanster, you got a fine deal too. KKat doesn't have a deal, he's got a scam.

WOOHOOO

Just got the camera. Funny, doesn't look like a scam. There was a wolf camera nearby so I went there to buy a remote switch (for fireworks type shots) and the guy there said it's definitely a legit camera (as if I was concerned).

Lots of switches and settings to learn, but I like the software to change the settings. I can see I'll be up late tonight playing with this for a while.

Picked up a 4g card rather than the 8g. One of our businessness managers has a nikon and we're gonna play point and shoot tomorrow.

FYI, that scam site sold it to me for $459.00. Yah (holding camera in hand) looks like a scam. Yah (product registered with Canon 5mins ago) Canon said it wasn't a legit Xti either /sarcasmoff. I know you take your chances with sites like this, I'm not ignorant on the web, I DO DO MY HOMEWORK BEFORE BUYING FROM ONLINE MERCHANTS. But considering people in our office have bought from them before including an ~$1k nikon plus lens, I figured you didn't know what you were talking about, actually I didn't see your post until AFTER I had my camera in my hand. And yes, it has all the items that are supposed to be included, and as stated earlier, it's even registered so the serial number is valid and I called the 1-800 to confirm.

Again, I DO my homework.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
WOOHOOO

Just got the camera. Funny, doesn't look like a scam. There was a wolf camera nearby so I went there to buy a remote switch (for fireworks type shots) and the guy there said it's definitely a legit camera (as if I was concerned).

Lots of switches and settings to learn, but I like the software to change the settings. I can see I'll be up late tonight playing with this for a while.

Picked up a 4g card rather than the 8g. One of our businessness managers has a nikon and we're gonna play point and shoot tomorrow.

FYI, that scam site sold it to me for $459.00. Yah (holding camera in hand) looks like a scam. Yah (product registered with Canon 5mins ago) Canon said it wasn't a legit Xti either /sarcasmoff. I know you take your chances with sites like this, I'm not ignorant on the web, I DO DO MY HOMEWORK BEFORE BUYING FROM ONLINE MERCHANTS. But considering people in our office have bought from them before including an ~$1k nikon plus lens, I figured you didn't know what you were talking about, actually I didn't see your post until AFTER I had my camera in my hand. And yes, it has all the items that are supposed to be included, and as stated earlier, it's even registered so the serial number is valid and I called the 1-800 to confirm.

Again, I DO my homework.

Good for you. I think you'll like the XTi. It really is a nice camera.

As for the choice of merchant and the subsequent debate, please don't get defensive. I think the people on this forum were only looking out for you. To be fair, you stated that the XTi was $300 for the body and $420 for the entire kit. That set off some red flags since most of the reputable dealers sell the XTi for a lot more. Amazon charges $530.

That $460, price, did you get the 18-55 IS or the standard 18-55?

Congrats on the purchase. You're going to love it.

ft

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Good for you. I think you'll like the XTi. It really is a nice camera.

As for the choice of merchant and the subsequent debate, please don't get defensive. I think the people on this forum were only looking out for you. To be fair, you stated that the XTi was $300 for the body and $420 for the entire kit. That set off some red flags since most of the reputable dealers sell the XTi for a lot more. Amazon charges $530.

That $460, price, did you get the 18-55 IS or the standard 18-55?

Congrats on the purchase. You're going to love it.

ft

We're just trying to look out for you. Where did you get it from? I'm sure everyone would appreciate the hook up, I know I would buy one at $300 for the body.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Put me down as another who is interested, if there is such a thing as a $300 XTi body. But somehow I don't think it's going to happen.

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
I found a used 20D functional and in good condition with fairly low clicks for $380. It seems like a good deal to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.