Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, I’ve watched the first two episodes of the Punisher and it is worthy, much more worthy than I imagined it would be, strong writing, and direction. I’ve not looked through all the posts for fear of spoilers, so I’ll wait until I’m finished with season 1.

For anyone who has yet to see this but has not watched Daredevil, I recommend you watch that first, Seasons 1&2. And if you watched it, but are a bit foggy about where the Punisher left off at the end of Daredevil see:

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/what-h...in-daredevil-refresh-your-memory-asap-2789163

https://www.bustle.com/p/how-did-fr...-up-where-daredevil-season-2-left-off-2906615

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I wanted to like it, but I didn't make it through the first episode
I found it boring, really boring
And I wanted to like Daredevil too, but only made it through a couple of episodes
Same with Luke Cage
The genre just must not be for me I guess
Although I liked Jessica Jones, Iron Fist (somewhat) and the Defenders
Go figure

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
the main antihero Frank Castle, in none violent scenes, is made appearing slightly intoxicated.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wanted to like it, but I didn't make it through the first episode
I found it boring, really boring
And I wanted to like Daredevil too, but only made it through a couple of episodes
Same with Luke Cage
The genre just must not be for me I guess
Although I liked Jessica Jones, Iron Fist (somewhat) and the Defenders
Go figure
That’s interesting cause the first episode sucked me right in. Not implying anything about you. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
S1:E8 Cold Steel- I am so pissed. :mad: It’s still good though. :)

They killed off a prominent character.

What is really good is that in Daredevil, the Punisher came across as an out of control wild man. But here, we have time for character development. Although I’ve hit my limit on variations of the same bad dream. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finished the series- big thumbs up. Yes there was violence, in the spectrum of violence, on the extreme end, but there was a context that made it watchable, at least for myself. I like all of the characters, the writing, the acting, the atmosphere, although for realism, some suspension of reality is required, because I don’t think anyone could take the punishment the Punisher took and still be out there kicking buttocks the way he was.

Note I’m also a big fan of the movie, starring Thomas Jane. They are both good as different takes on the character and emphasis of story. I have to give the nod to Jon Bernthal, but he had 13 hrs to illustrate his bad assessness. ;)

Reactions: twietee

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
All the Netflix/Marvel shows are great (other than Iron Fist, which is so bad that it defies explanation as to why it's so bad). Punisher feels more like the feature show now... much in the same way as the CW's Arrow feels like the feature superhero show out of SuperGirl, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Starting Season 2, but decided I should rewatch Season 1 first because there is too much I have forgotten. :)

Update: Four episodes later, I forgot how good Season 1 is!

Last edited:

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Since all the Marvel shows on Netflix have now been canceled, we can collectively mourn them all at once. I'm really beginning to hate Disney.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Since all the Marvel shows on Netflix have now been canceled, we can collectively mourn them all at once. I'm really beginning to hate Disney.
What? Should I blurt bastardos!? I really liked Jessica Jones, Punisher, and Daredevil. First they blew their Star Wars Revival, and now this...maybe there are more unworthy, cash grabs they can create. :eek::mad::mad:

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
My wife and I watched the first episode. We both decided that it was just too violent for our tastes and stopped watching it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My wife and I watched the first episode. We both decided that it was just too violent for our tastes and stopped watching it.
I understand that can be an outcome, the first episode is Castle, in short order taking care of some of the people who killed his family, but the overall story is quite good.

It goes back to a special unit that Frank Castle was in, operating in Afghanistan, that got his family killed and his effort to figure out why. The degree of violence in that first episode is not typical, but there are some hard fights, and an excellence sequence where Castle seeks out an Army buddy in his cabin in the woods.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Based on the series being cancelled, I am happy I started this series from the beginning, before proceeding into Season 2. I’m halfway into Season 1.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 2 Spoilers
Five episodes into Season Two and the story is muddled. Billy Russo, escaped the hospital, screwed up, murdering people on occasion, with the help of his enabler Doctor. Maddoni is obsessed with finding Russo apparantly abandoning her job at Homeland Security to do so, at least all we see her doing in each episode is following leads and talking to people about him.

The girl with the photos who has been on the run from the Preacher Man from the start, is under the Punisher’s protection as he concentrates on her and not Russo. And the Punisher can take an unbelievable beating, but no big deal, the Everyready Bunny keeps going. :)

The story has lost most of it’s focus from Season 1 after the Punisher took care of those who killed his family. I’ll finish this just for closure, but Season 1 is still great! :)

The series was cancelled after Season 2. Besides poor writing, it might also be part of the Disney cleansing of Marvel stories on Netflix.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Disney's own legal counsel has weighed in and explicitly told the media giant to not begin development on their IP until after 2020, according to IndieWire, for fear of a massive lawsuit by Netflix as breach of contract. This strikes me as some very surprising news because I had the idea Disney was or is able to manipulate a dead in the water contract by manipulating the stipulated terms and getting the other party to sign off on the cancellation of the agreement they had.

Guess not. The mouse isn't as clever as it looks.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.