Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No No No No.. :eek:

He wants to name him Franky.

Franky?!?!!?

Besides, he knows it's coming from the pound and told him the dog'll most likely already have a name.

I'm naming the dog. ;)

Franky is a great name! Let your kid name him, stop being selfish. It is a dog FOR your kid, as you say.

Also, read up on ANY breed you are looking at. Some aren't going to be a good fit for your lifestyle and for children. Just keep that in mind.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Franky is a great name! Let your kid name him, stop being selfish. It is a dog FOR your kid, as you say.

Also, read up on ANY breed you are looking at. Some aren't going to be a good fit for your lifestyle and for children. Just keep that in mind.

meh. I kind of understand. Franky is not bad, but my cousin's dog is named "Rosebud". Stupid.

She isn't old enough to have seen Citizen Kane, either.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

This, and then some. Prime example: call it the latest controversy, or 'blame the owners, not the dog'..

.. but I wouldn't bring home a pit bull to be anywhere near my children. A pit bull's temperament and children really just don't mix.

BL.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
meh. I kind of understand. Franky is not bad, but my cousin's dog is named "Rosebud". Stupid.

She isn't old enough to have seen Citizen Kane, either.
Well Rosebud is a dumb name but Franky is great and I just think a kid should name his dog if his dad went out specifically and got one for him.

This, and then some. Prime example: call it the latest controversy, or 'blame the owners, not the dog'..

.. but I wouldn't bring home a pit bull to be anywhere near my children. A pit bull's temperament and children really just don't mix.

BL.

I'm will try not to turn a seemingly fun thread into a political debate on dogs but I do own a pit mix and it was actually chosen by the father of a younger child. The dog has been and remains wonderful with children but as the owner of a pit mix, I am deeply attentive to the dog around ALL people because I do know the history of these breeds. I honestly believe she would never be a problem but if I am ever proven wrong, the results can be very damaging for all people involved. I blame the owners who wander around thinking their dog will never…and they do. I've seen yellow labs bite other dogs (my dog has a scar as a result of a quick nip from one who has an aggression with toys) and many other well-loved dogs do things that represent aggression. Statistics do show pits and pit mixes have a higher tendency to be aggressive and I simply cannot deny that. Frankly, my choice was never a pit mix. I stood where you stand now but when picking out a dog with others, I opted to side with the person picking. I don't actually regret it. In fact, I feel sad when people shy away from my dog due to her breed. I know the stats and they're not stats I debate, but it still makes me sad. I am also not saying I completely disagree, but really it is dogs and kids. My past involves 118 stitches on an 18 month old baby's face when he went head to head with a German Shepard; I can tell you which dog worries me more around kids.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Let your brother/kid/whatever he is to you name the dog.

I name most of my pets with people names. I have an all black chihuahua named Leonard and we call him Lenny. I also have a cat named Arthur that we just call Arty.

I think Franky is a cute name. Why don't you just keep the dog as your own and let your brother/kid just play with the dog. If someone told me I was getting a dog and that I couldn't name it I'd be less than tickled.

Edit: Oh and also you mention you may move to an apartment etc throughout the years? Please really think this pet ownership thing through before committing. If you have to move to an apartment that doesn't allow pets are you willing to look for a different place that does? Be aware that there are always extra fees for having a pet, higher rent etc.

Don't be one of those people who adopts a pet now because it's right but then when the animal becomes an inconvenience you surrender him/her. Make sure this adoption is for life. /rant over

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Well Rosebud is a dumb name but Franky is great and I just think a kid should name his dog if his dad went out specifically and got one for him.

I'm will try not to turn a seemingly fun thread into a political debate on dogs but I do own a pit mix and it was actually chosen by the father of a younger child. The dog has been and remains wonderful with children but as the owner of a pit mix, I am deeply attentive to the dog around ALL people because I do know the history of these breeds. I honestly believe she would never be a problem but if I am ever proven wrong, the results can be very damaging for all people involved. I blame the owners who wander around thinking their dog will never…and they do. I've seen yellow labs bite other dogs (my dog has a scar as a result of a quick nip from one who has an aggression with toys) and many other well-loved dogs do things that represent aggression. Statistics do show pits and pit mixes have a higher tendency to be aggressive and I simply cannot deny that. Frankly, my choice was never a pit mix. I stood where you stand now but when picking out a dog with others, I opted to side with the person picking. I don't actually regret it. In fact, I feel sad when people shy away from my dog due to her breed. I know the stats and they're not stats I debate, but it still makes me sad. I am also not saying I completely disagree, but really it is dogs and kids. My past involves 118 stitches on an 18 month old baby's face when he went head to head with a German Shepard; I can tell you which dog worries me more around kids.

Which is rather funny, because my experiences have been the complete opposite. But that may be because the 4 dogs we had were all guide dogs, or retired dogs; two German Shepherds, two Yellow Labs. However, I can caveat that with that they were service animals, so their training is always seen, whether on or off duty.

Funnily enough, the two Shepherd's names were Chaos and Isis, and neither lived up to their names. They were very docile.

Willa was very motherly. Absolutely nothing bothered that dog, except when some other jock dog was thinking he was the BMoC, and tried to mount her. She knew how to take care of that. She would protect anyone's child as if it were her own and her life depended on it. Very very dainty dog.

Walter was the same way, except reminded you of a very wise Snoopy's brother, Spike. Both loved children and were great with them.

Belle, the miniature Schnauzer, was simply my dog as a child, much like what the 6 year old will have. No matter how bad of a day I had at school, she was there to greet me when I got home, gave kisses, went crazy as she ran out the door to (literally) jump in the mailman's arms, chase squirrels up the trees, and crawled into bed with me when I slept. I didn't need a stuffed bear; I had her.

I'll happily admit that it comes down to training (or lack of it), and that we've seen polar opposite sides of the spectrum, but I just can't see my children around pits, Rottweilers, and Doberman Pinschers at their current age. Perhaps older.

BL.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have a friend who called all her dogs after famous Detectives. Jeeves was one of them.

Imaginator

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
The Cosmos
You're a pretty sick person for using your son/brother/etc as an excuse to get a pet and you should be ashamed to consider yourself competent enough to take care of a living creature that relies on you for its well being.

This is all sorts of ********* up. Whether it's your kid or your brother, if it's going to be his, he should name the dog. And if you think you're the one going to be taking care of it, you shouldn't be getting your nephew/son/brother/stepchild a pet in the first place.

In any case, anyone who allows you to have a dog is more criminal than you are.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm late to the game.... but... I have two suggestions:

1) Why not give the dog more than one name? I have a friend whose cat has about 6 names. In this particular case the cat has had to move homes every couple of years - and each owner tacked on a new name while keeping the old. (Sidebar: The current and past owners all know each other. But as they move they are not always able to have a cat in their home, so the cat gets adopted. When a previous owner visits the current owner, well - it gets confusing for the guests who don't know the naming history. But the cat seems totally fine with it.)

In this case your sibling/son/nephew gets to call it Franky (or Frankie) and you get to call it ??

Assuming you're American... why not Franklin Delano Roosevelt? Now you've got all sorts of names to play with...Franklin, Delano, Rosy, FDR, and of course - Frankie. The advantage of 3 names is the dog will always know when it's in trouble.... when it gets called all 3 names. You've also got great nick-names. If the dog is acting bossy you can call it The Prez, the Chief, POTUS, etc. Plus you've got some great possibilities for Halloween.

2) Call him Frankie, but spell it weird. For instance, you can spell "Fish" as "Ghoti". Phonetically, it works... just ask George Bernard Shaw.

So you could have "Ghrauquie". I'm sure there is an even stranger spelling... I throw this into ScepticalScribe's court... but you get the idea.

Or you could just throw a '4' in the middle - "Frank4ie". When you introduce the dog people will almost invariably ask how it's spelt (with an 'ie' or a 'y' at the end). You'd spell it out (with the 4 included) and explain the '4' is silent. That will make you and the dog memorable - and start lots of conversations. Which, I am told, is the whole point of owning a dog - it's to meet other people you may like to date.

Now that I think about it... I suspect that is the whole point of this thread. "Help me choose a name that will let me pick up hot chicks/dudes..." You've got it all covered. Dog; Dog with cute name; Parent-liket without the luggage of actually being a parent.....

Tongue firmly in cheek....

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm late to the game.... but... I have two suggestions:

1) Why not give the dog more than one name? I have a friend whose cat has about 6 names. In this particular case the cat has had to move homes every couple of years - and each owner tacked on a new name while keeping the old. (Sidebar: The current and past owners all know each other. But as they move they are not always able to have a cat in their home, so the cat gets adopted. When a previous owner visits the current owner, well - it gets confusing for the guests who don't know the naming history. But the cat seems totally fine with it.)

In this case your sibling/son/nephew gets to call it Franky (or Frankie) and you get to call it ??

Assuming you're American... why not Franklin Delano Roosevelt? Now you've got all sorts of names to play with...Franklin, Delano, Rosy, FDR, and of course - Frankie. The advantage of 3 names is the dog will always know when it's in trouble.... when it gets called all 3 names. You've also got great nick-names. If the dog is acting bossy you can call it The Prez, the Chief, POTUS, etc. Plus you've got some great possibilities for Halloween.

2) Call him Frankie, but spell it weird. For instance, you can spell "Fish" as "Ghoti". Phonetically, it works... just ask George Bernard Shaw.

So you could have "Ghrauquie". I'm sure there is an even stranger spelling... I throw this into ScepticalScribe's court... but you get the idea.

Or you could just throw a '4' in the middle - "Frank4ie". When you introduce the dog people will almost invariably ask how it's spelt (with an 'ie' or a 'y' at the end). You'd spell it out (with the 4 included) and explain the '4' is silent. That will make you and the dog memorable - and start lots of conversations. Which, I am told, is the whole point of owning a dog - it's to meet other people you may like to date.

Now that I think about it... I suspect that is the whole point of this thread. "Help me choose a name that will let me pick up hot chicks/dudes..." You've got it all covered. Dog; Dog with cute name; Parent-liket without the luggage of actually being a parent.....

Tongue firmly in cheek....

I thought your first point on giving the dog multiple names was a great point.

As an UPDATE:

I visited the dog pound multiple times since creating this thread and saw the most adorable black female black labrador at 5 weeks old. I researched how big they got and their life expectancy (12-15 years) and made the decision at the pound to end the dog search and not get a puppy.

I decided that getting a dog would indeed be a life long commitment for the dog and considering how big the dog will get, paralleled with the uncertainty of my living situations for the coming decade, i thought it unfair for the dog. I move about once every two years and though usually in Los Angeles, sometimes It'll be in a spacious house and other times in a nicer community with only one bedroom or a flat with no yard or much space.

After leaving the pound I hit up multiple dog stores to calculate the prices of food, toys, treats, accessories, bathing/clipping supplies and expected precautionary medicines though out the years and got somewhat excited, wanting to bite the bullet and get the puppy. However I then made another pit stop to the local L.A. registration services department and got more info on the over set up I would be placing myself in. Not that I would see it as a bad thing owning a dog, but I thought it best to hold off on getting any sort of pet at this time, simply because of the uncertainty of the future and not wanting to entertain the thought of ever having/needing to give up the dog I would wish to grow with for the next 15 years.

That's the update; I still stand firm on my previous posts in this thread but thought some might enjoy/revel in hearing the final outcome.

Thanks to all!

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I thought your first point on giving the dog multiple names was a great point.

As an UPDATE:

I decided that getting a dog would indeed be a life long commitment for the dog and considering how big the dog will get, paralleled with the uncertainty of my living situations for the coming decade, i thought it unfair for the dog.....

Thanks to all!

I think you've made a mature and wise decision, based on a realistic assessment of what is best for the dog. Thank you. The nice thing is... you can always revisit this decision later when your situation changes.

Just as a personal note - you might consider adopting an older dog when it's time. These animals are much harder to place because everybody wants to grow up with a cute puppy. I'm a cat person myself, but I'm now with my second rescue cat... both adopted when they were mature. You get an animal with some issues, true. And it takes longer for them to bond... but they do bond. And they bring their own very distinctive personality. And I know that I've almost certainly saved these two wonderful cranky old ladies from certain death.

Just something to consider.....

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
HappyDude, I've never been able to peg how old you are. You said son then mentioned your brother…I think you're right in not getting a dog. If you see a dog as a dooming commitment then you're definitely not ready. It is not a bad thing either. I would never have gotten a dog had I known things would turn out how they did. Nevertheless, I am glad to have her most days.

I think you should just continue down your path of improvement (that you write about in other threads) and leave dog ownership for people who have real kids and/or brothers. ;)

You made a good choice here, imo.

You're a pretty sick person for using your son/brother/etc as an excuse to get a pet and you should be ashamed to consider yourself competent enough to take care of a living creature that relies on you for its well being.

This is all sorts of ********* up. Whether it's your kid or your brother, if it's going to be his, he should name the dog. And if you think you're the one going to be taking care of it, you shouldn't be getting your nephew/son/brother/stepchild a pet in the first place.

In any case, anyone who allows you to have a dog is more criminal than you are.

Well ****, that took a weird turn. I'm not sure where you come off but whoa. You weren't a dog in a past life who was given up because his owners didn't want to bother with him anymore, were you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.