Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Purchased a box set of SL to install on my 21" Alumac. It run the install and yet my system still says it's running 10.5.8. I don't get any messages stating the install was successful or not.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Are you sure you bought the correct installation DVD? Do you mean the Mac Bx Set for 169 USD or the SL Upgrade DVD for 29 USD?

The 21.5" iMac comes with Mac OS X 10.6.x, thus Snow Leopard. Do you mean the 20" iMac?

How did you install it?

Can you be more precise and offer details and what steps you have taken?

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Are you sure you bought the correct installation DVD? Do you mean the Mac Bx Set for 169 USD or the SL Upgrade DVD for 29 USD?

The 21.5" iMac comes with Mac OS X 10.6.x, thus Snow Leopard. Do you mean the 20" iMac?

How did you install it?

Can you be more precise and offer details and what steps you have taken?

Actually you are correct on both counts. Have a 20" iMac and the $29 box set. Thought that was all I needed to do an upgrade to SL from Leopard.

Inserted the disk. Let it mount then used the install utility.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Actually you are correct on both counts. Have a 20" iMac and the $29 box set. Thought that was all I needed to do an upgrade to SL from Leopard.

Inserted the disk. Let it mount then used the install utility.

You can use the 29 USD SL Upgrade DVD just fine, I have used it for my 20" iMac (2007) with Mac OS X 10.5.8 on it. Though I made a Clean Install, meaning I erased my HDD.

But the Upgrade option should still work. Does the installation process abort at some step? Can you recall all the steps you have taken and all the information the installer presented you until you checked what Mac OS X version you had now and found out, that it still is Mac OS X 10.5.8?

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
You can use the 29 USD SL Upgrade DVD just fine, I have used it for my 20" iMac (2007) with Mac OS X 10.5.8 on it. Though I made a Clean Install, meaning I erased my HDD.

But the Upgrade option should still work. Does the installation process abort at some step? Can you recall all the steps you have taken and all the information the installer presented you until you checked what Mac OS X version you had now and found out, that it still is Mac OS X 10.5.8?

Well I ran the install as stated above. It said approx. 54 min to complete. It ran maybe 10 min or so then rebooted. No messages. I checked the version and it still says 10.5.8.

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Is there anything useful in the system logs? There's probably one specifically for the installation, but you can browse through most of the logs using the Console utility.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Is there anything useful in the system logs? There's probably one specifically for the installation, but you can browse through most of the logs using the Console utility.

Will take a look.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Well I ran the install as stated above. It said approx. 54 min to complete. It ran maybe 10 min or so then rebooted. No messages. I checked the version and it still says 10.5.8.

What about backing up all your data via Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper and doing a Clean Install of Mac OS X? You need an external HDD for that and you can use Migration Assistant for bringing back your data later from the backup.

Have you verified the SL Upgrade DVD via Disk utility when booted into Mac OS X?

Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

How to use CarbonCopyCloner
CCC offers you to select a SOURCE DISK, in this case your old HDD, and a TARGET DISK, in this case your new HDD. After you made your selection, there is only the CLONE button to click and to enter your account password. There are more options of course, but they are meant for backing up instead of making 1:1 copies.​
How to use SuperDuper
SD offers you to select the source disk (COPY ...) and a target disk (TO ...). It has additional options for backing up only system or user files and to create a disk image and some more, but for the cloning process the above will do and the free version will suffice.​

Using Time Machine and the Migration Assistant

If you use Time Machine as means to back up, you can just replace the old HDD with the new one and re-install Mac OS X via the Restore or Upgrade or Retail DVD and select the connected Time Machine HDD via the Setup Assistant to import ll your data and even your entire Mac OS X (if you backed it up too).

If you didn't use Time Machine and want to start with a fresh installation of Mac OS X, you can either use the Setup Assistant during the installation process to import some of your data (including applications) or you can use the Migration Assistant to import the data after the installation is finished.

Further reading upon Time Machine and Setup and Migration Assistant:

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Well looked at the system logs, but actually not sure what to look for. There are thousands of posts to the log.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
What about backing up all your data via Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper and doing a Clean Install of Mac OS X? You need an external HDD for that and you can use Migration Assistant for bringing back your data later from the backup.

Have you verified the SL Upgrade DVD via Disk utility when booted into Mac OS X?

Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

How to use CarbonCopyCloner
CCC offers you to select a SOURCE DISK, in this case your old HDD, and a TARGET DISK, in this case your new HDD. After you made your selection, there is only the CLONE button to click and to enter your account password. There are more options of course, but they are meant for backing up instead of making 1:1 copies.​
How to use SuperDuper
SD offers you to select the source disk (COPY ...) and a target disk (TO ...). It has additional options for backing up only system or user files and to create a disk image and some more, but for the cloning process the above will do and the free version will suffice.​

Using Time Machine and the Migration Assistant

If you use Time Machine as means to back up, you can just replace the old HDD with the new one and re-install Mac OS X via the Restore or Upgrade or Retail DVD and select the connected Time Machine HDD via the Setup Assistant to import ll your data and even your entire Mac OS X (if you backed it up too).

If you didn't use Time Machine and want to start with a fresh installation of Mac OS X, you can either use the Setup Assistant during the installation process to import some of your data (including applications) or you can use the Migration Assistant to import the data after the installation is finished.

Further reading upon Time Machine and Setup and Migration Assistant:

Wow. Didn't expect that much work. Thought an upgrade disk was just that. Put it in, let it run and you get the upgrade. Apple is so paranoid about people placing their OS on something other than a Mac they make it hard on legit users too.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Wow. Didn't expect that much work. Thought an upgrade disk was just that. Put it in, let it run and you get the upgrade. Apple is so paranoid about people placing their OS on something other than a Mac they make it hard on legit users too.

Actually it is quite easy, but maybe you have a broken installation DVD, thus my suggestion to check it via Disk Utility. If the DVD passes that, then something else is wrong. Btw, do you have enough HDD space left for the installation to proceed?

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010

As a general rule you can just shove the disk in, upgrade, and go on your way. I don't quite see how this is the same as Apple stopping users installing OS X on hackintoshes!

As for the log, anything that looks like an error with a timestamp coinciding with the installation (probably the finish) might be relevant.

Live Steam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Well I believe I should have plenty of space - about 85 gigs or so.

I didn't realize there was a difference, or for that matter, that a different "box set" existed. What is the difference between the $29 version and the $169 version? OS X is not intended to be installed on anything other than a Mac. Thus, any OS purchased would have to be an upgrade to a prior version, where the target machine already has some iteration of the OS already installed. I'm a bit confused.

I'm going to verify the upgrade disk and do a backup of everything, even though there should be incremental backups. Then I'll try the clean install based on the above recommendation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.