Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I can recommend getting wet. Skin is impervious to rain... ;)

arkengarthdaleio8.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I got this one in between storms yesterday. I didn't have the nerve to try out a camera rain suit during the downpours, but I may have to if the weather keeps on like this.

BetweenStorms.jpg

Click to enlarge.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Rainy and grey days?

I try to depict the mood that was around at that time. This is because I often find that even those days ahve a 'special' feel to them.

I don't mind getting wet and like walking around the city during cloudy weather.

To better clarify what i said, here are some pictures:
They ar all clickable.

photobloghr7.jpg
photoblog3jf9.jpg
photoblog11rr0.jpg

nffxx9.jpg
nff3ip0.jpg
20070812144301photoblogda4.jpg

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
Rainy and grey days?

I try to depict the mood that was around at that time. This is because I often find that even those days ahve a 'special' feel to them.

I don't mind getting wet and like walking around the city during cloudy weather.

To better clarify what i said, here are some pictures:
They ar all clickable.

[snippety-snip-snip-snip]

these are amazing. i LOVE the top right... im a sucker for simplicity.

Jan 30, 2006
Not that I am getting one, but would the D3 support rain? Or do you still need a waterproof cover?

Not meaning heavy rain, just a gentle shower maybe.:)

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
"Top right Picture"

IF this had higher res and a faster shutter speed that would be an AMAZING photo

thank you.

What do you mean by higher res? Are 6MP not enought? Or do you mean the web version of 900xsth is too small?

Well, from a shutter speed perspective i found the 1/640 this was taken at the most effective for that 'scene'.
Besides, the room for faster shutterspeeds was limited to not much above what it already is. (1/1000 max)
That is, because it already is at f/1.4 and ISO1600 and I still had to 'push' it one stop in post. (to an effective iso3200)
Underexposing that scene an addtional 1 to 1.5 stops (and then pushing it afterwards) would have killed the mood due to dramatically lowering the tonality.

thank you, maybe i misunderstood and you could elaborate to help me get better.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Rainy day racing works for me...

Attachments

• _ACT1393.jpg
    _ACT1393.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 82
  • _ACT1361.jpg
    _ACT1361.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 93

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Not that I am getting one, but would the D3 support rain? Or do you still need a waterproof cover?

Not meaning heavy rain, just a gentle shower maybe.:)
The D3 isn't anymore water resistant than any other "weather sealed" dSLR. Needs a rain cover.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
The D3 isn't anymore water resistant than any other "weather sealed" dSLR. Needs a rain cover.
Even my lowly D200 is weather sealed, but I keep a rain cover for it in my bag. I would not want to expose it to pouring rain. Even a light drizzle makes me nervous. But I'm really more worried about my lens (Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR).

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Even my lowly D200 is weather sealed, but I keep a rain cover for it in my bag. I would not want to expose it to pouring rain. Even a light drizzle makes me nervous. But I'm really more worried about my lens (Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VR).

The 70-200VR is weather sealed too, in that it has a rubber gasket that seals down against the lens mount.

Even so, I wouldn't trust my D3 70-200VR combo in water more than a light mist. I have had it out a lot in some pretty substantial snowstorms and blizzards, though.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Back in the day we made rain covers by hand.

Imagine if you can, taking a couple of UV Glass filters, trashing one by removing the glass. Use the remaining empty ring and filter you could take a waterproof bag, cut a hole in the bag, mount the UV filter to it using the extra ring.

We used 72mm filters with step down rings to minimize filter interference.

You could do this using a One Gallon size storage baggie or some such critter.

Heck some people didn't even worry about a filter and shot right through the baggie pulling it tight to the lens.

I once saw some guy who had a miniature umbrella mounted to the top of his camera, he epoxied a hot-shoe mount to the bottom of the umbrella. Not sure how that worked for him though.

Of course today all you need is $$$$$$$$$$ and you can buy a waterproof case for almost any camera.

It seems $$$$$$$$ has replace ingenuity! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.