Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Wonder if anyone can help...

To cut to the chase, i Have M1 studio ultra Maxed out in every way with 128gb ram max GPU max CPU. my girlfriend just bought a m3 14 mac book pro (48 gb ram) I use After Effects mostly along with cd4 - and my girlfriend uses Premiere.

I'm on Sonoma 14.1.1 and she on 14.1.2

I realise AE is a ram hungry app. but I'm constantly getting running low on ram issues with 128gb ram and 8TB storage

My girlfriend cant even open some of her Premiere projects? very disappointing for her with a brand new machine which her 8 year old laptop would open without errors though slow.

I guess i wanna know if anyone else having issues? is it Sonoma? or Adobe not optimised, though unified memory was suppose to be amazing?

Anyway sorry if this has been covered but my Ultra seemed way faster when i bought it and to buy a brand new m3 laptop and have similar problems seems weird.

Thanks stu

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
My girlfriend cant even open some of her Premiere projects? very disappointing for her with a brand new machine which her 8 year old laptop would open without errors though slow.
How much RAM does her old laptop have?

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Im guessing Adobe problem.. her last laptop is old and only had 16gb ram, so dosen't really make sense

Sinx2oic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Adobe describes the Known issues with Premiere Pro and Sonoma here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/known-issues.html

Also some issues with After Effects and Sonoma: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/known-issues-after-effects.html

Hope this helps!
Thanks for taking time to respond!, yea think def think its to do with Sonoma and adobe, but don't get a lot of those errors. My AE is generally fine but ram does fill up (i work on comps that can be massive for massive LED screens) anyway i will have a read though and see. its annoying Rosetta is not supported anymore as i cant use things like Hap codec and other plugins. anyway heres hoping updates will fix

JinxVi

Suspended
Dec 13, 2023
I'm guessing Adobe problem.. her last laptop is old and only had 16 GB RAM, so doesn't really make sense.
Yes, it is an Adobe problem − but not one with Apple Silicon, Unified Memory or with Sonoma. The M3 GPU architecture has been completely overhauled to support Raytracing and Dynamic Caching. Apparently Adobe developers made some assumptions on how an M-processor should behave, which are no longer true with M3 chips and going forward.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Yes, it is an Adobe problem − but not one with Apple Silicon, Unified Memory or with Sonoma. The M3 GPU architecture has been completely overhauled to support Raytracing and Dynamic Caching. Apparently Adobe developers made some assumptions on how an M-processor should behave, which are no longer true with M3 chips and going forward.
But any mistaken assumptions Adobe made about M3 should not affect the OP's M1 Ultra.

Reactions: JinxVi

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
The memory issue with Premiere Pro was mentioned here. The issue was reported on Ventura, so it's not Sonoma-specific:

About a hundred people replied, showing Adobe how to reproduce the problem. The latest post from Adobe was four months ago, in late August, indicating they recognized the problem and were working on it. A bit disappointing that there have been no updates since then--and also that they didn't include this in their list of known issues.

1703121691861.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.