Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Read the thread...
I did. I stated when I go to macrumors for the first time after clearing history my faceid scans my face. It scans without me hitting the signin, it does it on the main page. That what your talking about right? It does it even if I don’t try to sign in

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I did. I stated when I go to macrumors for the first time after clearing history my faceid scans my face. It scans without me hitting the signin, it does it on the main page. That what your talking about right? It does it even if I don’t try to sign in
The issue is that sites we have never been to before, and sites with no visible password fields, are causing Face ID scans:
For those with the X, have you noticed that certain websites perform a FaceID scan for no apparent reason? I understand when confronted with a login screen why it would do a scan, but I’m starting to see it even when there is no prompt for a login or even if I’ve already logged in to a site.

No, this happens on sites I’ve never been to before. Even if it’s legit, there ought to be some sort of request or confirmation before the scan. Perhaps these are tracking cookies?

I've seen it pop up on random websites??

I just went to chess.com, a site I’ve never been to before when I clicked on a DaringFireball article link from Feedly (an RSS reader app), and bam...FaceID scan with no explanation or post scan anything before the page rendered. Weird.

Yes! This happens for me all the time on the Royal Mail tracking website. Try it: https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

Something must be coded as a password field in the website when there isn't actually a password, which is triggering Face ID.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
The issue is that sites we have never been to before, and sites with no visible password fields, are causing Face ID scans:
That’s odd, I tried to go the the website you listed and it didn’t trigger faceid check on my phone. Maybe your faceid is acting up. Have you had any other issues using it? It wouldn’t surprise me if its another iOS 11 bug.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I have an iPhone 7+ with touch ID and I've never been prompted to touch identify by a web site and I wouldn't if I was. Why would a web site be able to force a face scan? Is it taking a pic too or storing facial data?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Not all password fields are visible unless you inspect the page with developers tools. No information is being sent anyway. There could be so many reasons why this is happening...The only way to find out is to analyse the page source if you are very concerned about it...I wouldn’t be...

freakomac

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
It has never happened to me for unknown/ random websites.. atleast so far.
Its very convenient though.

Blitzes

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
I have been searching online for this problem. My phone tries to scan my face on lots of sites. Sites where i don´t even have an account. Nice to se we have a thread about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.