Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
hurdlegirl.jpg

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I added motion blur to mimic the effect of panning with the subject, and also selective color.

Looking above, I think qpawn's crop works better than the way I did it.

Attachments

• motion.gif
    motion.gif
    104.2 KB · Views: 114

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Not a big fan of the blur, I really like the crispness of the photo. Although the background is a bit busy. The colour of the hurdle really appeals to me but I think her outfit is to bright to be accented(Oryan), Im not against anyones changes by any extent they all look great however I have my own vision :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mike Teezie said:
I added motion blur to mimic the effect of panning with the subject, and also selective color.

Looking above, I think qpawn's crop works better than the way I did it.

WOW!!!!:)

I admire people like yourself that can see very deep in to an image and make it happen in Photoshop. I tend on the side of straight photography, save for the quick and easy Photoshop "effects".

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
Keeping the hurdle would be ideal. I personally like something like this crop to emphasize the action/speed.

speed.jpg

edit: Oh, I like qpawns a lot more.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Orlando Furioso said:
Keeping the hurdle would be ideal. I personally like something like this crop to emphasize the action/speed.

speed.jpg

edit: Oh, I like qpawns a lot more.

I like this, but the reason I chose to skew my runner to the right of center rather than the left is to give the feeling that she still has a long way to go. With yours, she's skewed to the left of centre, so that sort of emphasizes her speed and progress, which is cool too, so maybe it would be cooler for her to be positioned even further to the left (but only slightly). It would be more dramatic.

Oh, and including the hurdle gives a viewer perspective as to how high she's jumping, and what she's actually doing.

But we could just have different ideas. If I wasn't at Uni, I would just show you what I meant. :eek:

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Please desaturate the yellow on some of those later ones. It hurts my eyes.

Or my monitor is uncalibrated. Nice picture. :)

As an alternate idea, I would like to see full saturation on all the living things (grass, trees, girl).

nate

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2003
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I can hear my photo teacher drilling "rule of thirds" into my head. Another vote for qpawn.

Oh, and next time you might want to play with the aperture settings to get a better depth of field, so the subject is in focus and the background isn't.

--nate

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
this would be almost impossible without removing the fence too...

but removing the trees would certainly boost the image from "photo" to obvious "commercial work", or at least it would look "professional" IMO.

I dont know what you could replace the background with but since the object of attention is the movement of the girl, I think you need the track and the hurdle. but you either need to extend the ground in front of her, clone stamp, or put her in the middle with equal behind and in front of her.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
this is really a great thread.

i agree that the sand needs to go. i also like her being on the right side of the image, although with the motion blur idea, i can see how her being on the left would work better (having moved through the frame).

i like the most recent ones the most, definitely progress being made by collaboration. awesome.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
I like the background desaturation, but I think it should be kept wide, but make it narrow, like a wide angle view. So I would crop it just above her head and just below the hurdles . . .

::20ROGERSC::

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
20rogersc said:
I like the background desaturation, but I think it should be kept wide, but make it narrow, like a wide angle view. So I would crop it just above her head and just below the hurdles . . .

::20ROGERSC::
I completely agree.... keep it long to show the horizontal motion and the feel of "open road" ahead.

FritzTheWonderM

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Planet 10
20rogersc said:

I played with that, but when I cut down on the headroom she didn't appear to be jumping as high. Weird I know, but try it out.

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
A simple google image search for "hurdler"... It seems like placing the camera a little lower will make the hurdler appear to be jumping higher. Also, notice the cropping in the first hurdler pic... you can see the whole hurdle.

hurdlers.jpg

Oh, and don't forget the motion blur! :p

jak119

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2006
Connecticut
After G said:
Please desaturate the yellow on some of those later ones. It hurts my eyes.

Or my monitor is uncalibrated. Nice picture. :)

As an alternate idea, I would like to see full saturation on all the living things (grass, trees, girl).
One problem with that, it's early spring in New England and there's nothing on the trees so there is full saturation in the picture.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Chip NoVaMac said:
WOW!!!!:)

I admire people like yourself that can see very deep in to an image and make it happen in Photoshop. I tend on the side of straight photography, save for the quick and easy Photoshop "effects".

Thanks for the kind words Chip!

And I agree with jello, this thread is really cool. Nice work, everybody.

GreyFox1221

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
I have a bunch of photos, but my month's bandwith is already gone. I really think since im getting into photography i should set up a website. What do you guys think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.