Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
Pistol Pete said:
KEEP IN MIND: iphoto doesnt actually edit the raws, the pic you are actually editing is a tiff or a jpeg.

Actually, I believe it uses the RAW on the first edit - when you save the first batch of changes, you're then working on a tiff/jpeg, as when you hit 'edit' on a RAW image, there is a 'RAW' badge at the bottom of the iPhoto window, and on subsequent edits, that badge is gone, unless you "revert to original" first.

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
Raw files are just the raw sensor data. It isn't a picture until it is processed further.

RAW allows you to fix white balance, sharpening, saturation, errors after the shot is taken.

Unless you have the programs to edit and process raw, you should stick to JPG.

But I highly recommend you to shoot in RAW. It is like shooting with film, processing it and printing it, but without all the expensive, troublesome and time comsuming of film processing. You have full control of the picture from start to end. :D

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I just watched a Apple seminar about Aperture, thought it was interesting but probably more power than I need. Still...

Is there going to be an update to Aperture anytime soon, and will it be the same price as the current Aperture ($299) or the original $500? I haven't been following the Aperture news and rumors.

Is there any way to get it for any less than the $299? After I stick another GB (or two) of memory into my iMac (currently have 512) just to make Aperature run, I'm not going to want to spend another $300 on the program. I'm a HS student and $$ doesn't come easily.

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
I'm glad I shoot in the RAW format. I just went to Florida to see my daughter and new grandson. After multiple shots of my grandson doing the cute things that babes do, I loaded them on to my laptop only to find the white balance was off. I had my Canon Rebel XT set for incandescent light.It turns out every light in the room had a Compact Fluorescent bulb. As I shoot in Raw I will be able to fix them all when I load them into Aperture when I get home.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
From the JPEG side of the fence, I was on Ken Rockwell's site that he shoots all JPEG. His line of thinking is that he wants to take photos, not sit in front of a computer editing photos. So he is going to get the camera set up right the first time and capture a good image that can be used rather then capture an image and hope he can tweek it later.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
ejb190 said:
From the JPEG side of the fence, I was on Ken Rockwell's site that he shoots all JPEG. His line of thinking is that he wants to take photos, not sit in front of a computer editing photos. So he is going to get the camera set up right the first time and capture a good image that can be used rather then capture an image and hope he can tweek it later.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Even if you shoot in Raw you still try to get the camera setting right and not do a lot of fixing on the computer. It's just nice that you can when you have to.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
buffalo said:
Is there any way to get it for any less than the $299? After I stick another GB (or two) of memory into my iMac (currently have 512) just to make Aperature run, I'm not going to want to spend another $300 on the program. I'm a HS student and $$ doesn't come easily.

First off why shoot RAW format? I think there are only two reasons

1) You know that you will be doing a lot of work on the computer using Photoshop or Gimp.

2) Yo see that the lighting is somehow "tricky" either the color is going to be hard to balance, (mixed types of light sources) or the range is wider then you can capture. Say a bright sky and dark shaded forground

If you don't have any of these then there is no reason to use RAW format.

You don't need Aperature to shoot raw format. iPhoto handles it just fine and Photoshop Elements handles RAW very well and only costs about $80. Apple sell most of it's software with a 1/2 price acidemic discound and so does Adobe. If you have a student ID card ssoftware is much cheaper.

But don't buy Aperature for it's raw conversion abilllty.

Also look at Nikon's "NX" if you shoot nikon

BanjoBanker

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Mt Brook, AL
Jpeg is fine

I do some free lance photgraphy, mostly outdoor portraits and I have been shooting RAW with my Nikon D70s. I am being paid for these shots, and the clients want them PERFECT. When I am shooting my daughter's track meets and family gatherings, I use the highest quality jpeg settings. I have a 4gb CF II card, so space is not an issue. I believe that the advice on Aperture is dead on, but you will have to upgrade your RAM considerably. My opinion is that 4gb is about right. I have ordered a D2xs Nikon and when it comes, I will continue to shoot primarily jpeg except for the times I am shooting for a client. Unless you are willing to put in a lot of effort, there is no real benefit to RAW. Also, ignore what anyone says about using RAW with iPhoto. PhotoShop Elements too. To truely get the maximum benefit from a RAW image, you need Photo Shop, preferably CS2, neither of which are available in Unviversal Binary at this time. I run Adobe CS2 on a dual 2.5gz Power Mac with 4gb of RAM, 30 and 23 inch monitors and a 500gb external hard drive. I always archive my photo files to DVD as well, you can never have too much back up for pictures. Enjoy taking the pictures of your family and friends, and shoot more. Shoot a lot more. You can always delete the real dogs, but when you fire off a burst, I believe 2.5 per second for the D50, you sometimes catch great pictures. Enjoy your digital photography for awhile before you take the financial and time commitment to shoot RAW.

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
If you have to ask you should be shooting in JPEG fine. RAW is for the people who have way-way too much time on their hands or they are being paid for their work. Photoshop Elements will still do 90% of whatever after effects you want to do to the picture in a jpeg. Shoot JPEG and take more pictures of the same thing. I know if I have 30 pictures from 6 different angles that I might get 3 pictures I love. Unless you are printing posters out you will not know the difference.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
buffalo said:
Would you still recommend Aperature for the family event photos that comprise most of the photography.

Aperature is what they call a "workflow program". It is designed to speed the job of selecting and post processing a large number of images. So ask yourself do you typicaly shoot 100 or 500 images at an event ad then need to select the 20 or so best images?

Aperature is not really an image editor, like iPhoto, Aperature allows you to specify an external editor. Most people will specify Photoshop. But by itself Aperature can only do gross level changes to the entire frame like adjust the exposure or white balance

If you do not have the problem of needing to reduce the time you spend post-shoot then you don't need Aperature.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Look at RAW vs JPG as being like having a negative verses a print in the film days. You have a greater degree of enlargement from a RAW file. You also have have greater latitude of exposure adjustment, as well ad other adjustment.

EastCoastFlyer

macrumors regular
This thread has been EXTREMELY valuable for me -- I recently purchased my first DSLR -- a D50 -- my 1st Mac (iMac)-- and a copy of Photoshop Elements 4. What a great creative outlet it all is! I look forward to learning much from you more exprerienced digital wizards...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.