Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I think you mis-spoke ...the E-420 does not have in body stabilization. The new E-620, which has almost the same form factor, do have the IS.

ummmm, are you sure???

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1372

DIGITAL IMAGE STABILIZATION.
The E-420's Digital Image Stabilization, activated as a Scene Select Mode, allows high ISO sensitivity and faster shutter speeds so you can freeze the action to capture sharp, blur-free images even if you or your subject is moving.

All I said was IS, not body vs. digital... Please research first...

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
I didn't take anything personal. I don't even know you. Also please don't tell me to chillax out. I think you said that because you were called out for posting BS (to divert the attention away from your lie/BS). If you post BS on a message board someone will call you on it. I will post whatever I want within the guidelines of this board.

Your above post was wrong factually about Nikons and it made it seem like Canon lenses were better than Nikons. IMO they both are great and it depends on the user. However I do think Nikon makes a better lens for me. I used Canon for a few years and decided to make the switch. I prefer Nikon much better, but I won't lie about another brand to make Nikon look better.

Wow - I'm not even sure where to begin. As for me spreading BS - that couldn't be further from the truth. You and I are doing the same thing and that is discussing perspective. Yours from a Nikon owner and mine from a Canon owner. You even admitted that there are in fact differences. I'm not running or hiding from anything either, so that's just a silly comment. And btw, no one accused you of breaking any forum rules, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

I wasn't lying about Nikon, nor was I even bashing them. I was specifically thinking of the availability of VR lenses vs IS lenses. For me, image stabilization was important and 12 months ago it appeared that Canon had more options for IS than did Nikon. Again, will the OP notice or care - I'm not sure. It depends on what he intends to shoot etc.

Anyway, back to the OP...when doing some research here are a couple of sites to check out:

http://www.kenrockwell.com - a Nikon guy that gives very fair reviews of both product lines.

http://www.dpreview.com - good site with independent analysis on all kinds of cameras and brands.

If you decide to go with a Canon you will enjoy this site:

http://www.photography-on-the.net - a Canon specific forum site.

(There is probably a Nikon version of a site like this too, but I don't know what it is. I'm guessing someone else on this thread will know if there is one and can share it)

You'll find it to be a very personal decision. It's funny I actually went into my local camera shop to buy a Nikon but ended up buying a Canon. I have friends that shoot both and they are very committed to their brands - which I think you are seeing in this thread. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Keep us posted with your decision!

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
ummmm, are you sure???

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1372

All I said was IS, not body vs. digital... Please research first...

That's just marketing gimmick...all it does is just push up your ISO.

"The E-420's Digital Image Stabilization, activated as a Scene Select Mode, allows high ISO sensitivity and faster shutter speeds so you can freeze the action to capture sharp, blur-free images even if you or your subject is moving."

Yes, please research first in regard of IS and what it means. You will be very disapointed because you could have done the same way with your E-500, I know I used to have one.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
That's just marketing gimmick...all it does is just push up your ISO.

"The E-420's Digital Image Stabilization, activated as a Scene Select Mode, allows high ISO sensitivity and faster shutter speeds so you can freeze the action to capture sharp, blur-free images even if you or your subject is moving."

Yes, please research first in regard of IS and what it means.

If it's like the digital IS in all the point-and-shoots - works for me...

Are you unhappy with it when you used the E-420?

OP -

Wow, just wow.... the people on these boards...

Just get a camera YOU like and suites your needs.

I've met people that have these super Nikon D90 super duper IS live view blah blah blah, and looking at they're pics, they really stink...

It's all about talent. I've seen people take better pics with a Kodak 110 or a Polaroid One-Step... :eek:

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
gkarris said:
Just get a camera YOU like and suites your needs.

I've met people that have these super Nikon D90 super duper IS live view blah blah blah, and looking at they're pics, they really stink...

It's all about talent.

I agree 100% - I've seen jaw dropping shots taken with simple point and shoot cameras. Talent is key, as is practice (at least in my case).

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
If it's like the digital IS in all the point-and-shoots - works for me...

Are you unhappy with it when you used the E-420?

I won't be able to say because I never owned one.
What can I say if it works for you, like people that say it work for them with the 200x digital zoom and I leave it to that.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Wow you remember my comments from a long time ago. I'm either freaked out or impressed. I said people shouldn't say a product is bad if they have never genuinely used it (most people I think on the internet say they have used xxx product to make them look more credible).

Using your analogy the Canon would be the Dell (cheap, plastic and can be bought at Walmart) and the Nikon is the Apple of the camera world. See we can play these tit for tat games all day, Canonboy. I, however, am quick to bash Nikon when they deserve it.

The Nikon 70-200 VR is world class and Nikon's 105mm is awesome. We can debate all day which company makes better lenses, but it is all just opinion at the end of the day.

I do find it funny when I visit the Canon sites and find many of their little fanbois have those fancy little signatures with the L in red and with italics. I guess whatever makes them feel special. Maybe insecurity does that to some people.
Visit a Nikon fanboy forum, and you will see the same you see in a Canon fanboy forum.

There are Canon fanboys, Nikon fanboys, and Apple fanboys in this forum. The problem is that it makes no difference what questions are asked by possible buyers, since soon enough the answers to the OP degenerate into arguments between the Nikon and Canon fanboys :)

Both Canon and Nikon make "world class" glass and bad glass. Look at sporting events :)

-----
My answer to the OP is to buy any of the cameras he has listed above, and buy some good glass whenever he can afford it. Use the camera for three or four years, and then upgrade it and use the same old glass. Bodies (cameras) are cheap, but good glass isn't.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Thanks for stating the obvious. You must feel really smart for doing so.

Not really. I don't get too exited about brands, except for Mac's of course. Arguing about such things causes hypertension, and doesn't provide meaningful answers to posters.

Jimbo Slice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Oakville, ON
I agree with the statement that I should just make a decision and start shooting and forget about cognitive dissonance! As a result I think I will be making a decision within the next week or two, as I get my tax refund from the gov!

At every opportunity I've been going to camera and electronics stores to try out the feel of the cameras I'm interested in. I think I've almost made up my mind on the D90, I really like the UI, its so intuitive that I could figure out how to adjust a lot of the settings within a minute of picking it up. I also really like its high speed continuous shooting mode, its amazing and since I'll be doing some sport shooting, I figure that could come in handy. I also like that it has independent clickwheels to adjust shutter speed and aperture just by the shutter release button. The only thing that has me considering a XSi instead is the price. If I get the XSi I could pick up a decent telephoto zoom lens right away but if I get the D90, I'll be with the kit lens indefinitely.
Ahhh decisions decisions, I guess you guys can't really help me with this one, but thank you all. I got exactly the info that I needed from you all and very quickly too. Wish me luck

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
I agree with the statement that I should just make a decision and start shooting and forget about cognitive dissonance! As a result I think I will be making a decision within the next week or two, as I get my tax refund from the gov!

Woo hoo! That sounds like a plan. You better cash that check quickly - it might bounce! ; )

At every opportunity I've been going to camera and electronics stores to try out the feel of the cameras I'm interested in. I think I've almost made up my mind on the D90, I really like the UI, its so intuitive that I could figure out how to adjust a lot of the settings within a minute of picking it up. I also really like its high speed continuous shooting mode, its amazing and since I'll be doing some sport shooting, I figure that could come in handy. I also like that it has independent clickwheels to adjust shutter speed and aperture just by the shutter release button. The only thing that has me considering a XSi instead is the price. If I get the XSi I could pick up a decent telephoto zoom lens right away but if I get the D90, I'll be with the kit lens indefinitely.
Ahhh decisions decisions, I guess you guys can't really help me with this one, but thank you all. I got exactly the info that I needed from you all and very quickly too. Wish me luck

D90 is a great camera - I don't know much about the kit lens it comes with. I'm sure a Nikon person could tell you if it's good or not.

My advice would be to get a camera that allows you to afford a lens or two for a variety of reasons. Having more lenses is fun and adds a little depth to your shooting ability. Nicer lenses will likely last you longer than the camera body and you can upgrade the body later but keep your lenses.

So, if you took that approach that would put the XSi or D40x as options that would allow you to buy a nice lens. Both good cameras and having that lens would be nice.

After I bought my XSi I bought a 50mm for fun then a zoom (70-200mm USM IS L) and so on. You might be disappointed if you only had one lens to choose from, especially if you plan to shoot sports. If you went with the XSi you could get the kit plus a 70-300mm USM IS for sports and zoom.

** Disclaimer - Before I offend another Nikon fan, I'm sure you could do the same with a Nikon setup I just don't know the lens names etc.

After my rather lenghty reply, my vote is for a cheaper body and better lenses. Let us know what you decide!

Jimbo Slice

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Oakville, ON
^^^ Funny you mention this because I was planning to post another interesting decision I have come up with.

Either a D40 ($450) with the Nikon 18-200mm VR ($700 used from Henrys)
Or the D90 body ($900 open box) and the Nikon 18-55mm VR ($150 used from henrys) for now...

Sorry Canon guys, I think I really just prefer the Nikon UI and picking up the D90 everything was like second nature, with the 40D and the XSi I feel like I have to do more things to get it to do what I want.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
^^^ Funny you mention this because I was planning to post another interesting decision I have come up with.

Or the D90 body ($900 open box) and the Nikon 18-55mm VR ($150 used from henrys) for now...

Sorry Canon guys, I think I really just prefer the Nikon UI and picking up the D90 everything was like second nature, with the 40D and the XSi I feel like I have to do more things to get it to do what I want.
My recommendation would be to take a good, long hard look at Nikon's lens library. If you can see yourself buying some non AF-S lenses down the road, avoid the D40. If you think you'll stick to AF-S lenses, then go ahead and spring for the D40. Otherwise, unless there's some compelling reason for you to get the D90, I think the D40 would be a good decision.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA

No apologies needed. Get the one that works best for you. The key is to get one that you like so you will use it. If you get frustrated by it, it will just end up on the shelf and that's no good.

I haven't fiddled much with the menu system on either brand. I tend to use the dials and buttons more than the screen stuff - but I'm a beginner.

Does the D40 come with a basic kit lens? If so, I'd go with that and the zoom.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
My recommendation would be to take a good, long hard look at Nikon's lens library. If you can see yourself buying some non AF-S lenses down the road, avoid the D40. If you think you'll stick to AF-S lenses, then go ahead and spring for the D40. Otherwise, unless there's some compelling reason for you to get the D90, I think the D40 would be a good decision.

It really isn't that much of an issue, the only lens I would be worried about is the 50/1.8 as it is so cheap but on a crop body 50mm isn't a real useful focal length anyway and the forthcoming 35/1.8 fills that hole even though it is a little more expensive than the 50/1.8.

It is more of an issue if you have access to an abundance of older Nikon lenses from a film body, then the decision would be harder.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Jimbo I owned the D90 and it is a very nice body as everyone will tell you. It is much nicer than the XSi, but as you know cost a few hundred more. That isn't a shot at Canon, but we are debating 2 bodies in different leagues. I see the 40D as a competitor of the D90, but I'm sure some Canon fan will take me on. That is my opinion.

I sold my D90 because I decided I needed more fps for shooting sports which is what I primarily do. The D90 does this really good also, but at 4.5 fps, which is great for the price of the D90, I just felt I needed the 8fps among a few other things the D300 had. That said, the D90 is the best in its class in my opinion. I know they sell the D90 as a kit also with the 18-105VR. VR as you probably know is a good thing to have on zoom. The 18-105 is a pretty good kit lens and covers a lot. It is pretty sharp. I sold mine when I had the D90, but I liked it. In the U.S. You can buy this kit for about $1050 the last time I looked. I don't know what that is in Canadian dollars, but it is a good price for what you get. You can add a Nikon 50 1.8 for low light situations for about $100USD. I love this lens. For the price it is hard to beat. Fast and takes nice pictures.

You can also go to the Nikonians website and visit their forsale section which is the best in my opinion for used Nikons. I see a lot of D90's and a lot of used lenses for sale there. No taxes of course. Also visit fm.com. Their for sale forum is good also, but most of it is Canon's, but they have a number of Nikons as well.

Good luck.

sapper

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Ready to buy my Dslr.

:cool:
Whichever camera you buy, when you upload the pics, be prepared to invest in an external hard drive, both as back up and to download your photos to.
I found that whenever I clicked the 'enhance' button in iPhoto, the file size (from a 6.1 mp Nikon D100) increased from a 9.6 mb file to around 46mb as a finished item, so this will take up an awful lot of space on your hard drive.
I bought a LaCie 500gb which takes little time to fill if you take lots of pics.

Best wishes from a newbie.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
:cool:

I bought a LaCie 500gb which takes little time to fill if you take lots of pics.

Best wishes from a newbie.
I just ordered the 500GB FW edition Neil Poulton one. First time with Lacie brand, not my first external though.

An external is almost a must these days. If not for just the peace of mind that backups provide. My new Lacie (should arrive Wed) is going to act as my Macbook Time Capsule.

Anyone have experience with the D40x? Could someone with Nikon experience enlighten me on what happened to it? I don't see it on Nikon's site but I see it on some reseller sites. Sorry for my ignorance here, never have followed Nikon too much in regards to the low-range models.

VegasPhoto

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
Las Vegas
There's no drive in the D40/D40X to support many af systems that require the camera to drive them.

D90 has sounded like a nice camera since its announcement but it's too expensive for me to consider investing in another crop sensor camera. The XSi has better detail retention than the 40D. I have a 40D and a 5D.

Each camera is a trade off; in the D90 you trade off more money than the others and accept the fact that many of the newer high end nikon lenses are a bit more expensive than the canon version.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I own the Canon 40D and it's a decent camera. The first time I used it, I thought the UI was a disaster, but now it's fine. Just a bit of extra time needed to learn it, like finding the dashboard controls on a new car.

However, I don't think I'll ever buy another crop sensor body. Full frame is where I want to be now. It's just a shame it's so expensive to go there.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Look at the D80 that is cheaper now.

If that's still too much, look at a used D50 with all the accessories for about $250.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.