Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
$2500 - Canon 5D
$1400 - 16-35mm f/2.8L II
$1200 - 24-70mm f/2.8L
$1600 - 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS

$300 - 430EX Flash
$100 - gear bag
$200 - 4GB and 8GB fast CF cards
$300 - tripod
$100 - monopod

+ 5% sales tax
==============
~$8000

I'll agree with this setup, for the OP's friends purposes, this would be the best all-around setup. Although Abstract's D300 setup is very nice as well, there's such a thing as having too many lenses. The lenses Grimace recommends is the "holy trinity" of canon L zooms, and if OP's friend is going into a photo program, most schools require at least a little bit of film so these quality lenses would be perfect for shooting on an old EOS 3 or elan, ect.

If all $8000 have to be spent right away, then it'd probably be wise to use it all otherwise it'd be a lot wiser to get these all-around lenses and from that see what accessories she'll need as time progresses.

I'd recommend the new 40D over the 5D, just because most won't need FF for their shooting yet. It'll save quite a bit of money, and I'd expect that it'll have a higher resale value than the 5D (in terms of % of initial price paid), plus with the extra money you can get a fantastic prime lens, like the 35mm f/1.4L for $1200, or the godly 85mm f/1.2 for $1800 (that is if she'd know how to use this tricky DOF master).

If she needs a tripod then get one, if she doesn't then don't. I almost never use a tripod (or zooms) for shooting, but that's just my style. Investing in a lighting setup would be incredibly valuable for shooting portraits professionally. A nice setup runs anywhere between $300 if your really tight on cash to a couple thousand for a nice studio setup. (This is coming from someone who is all about portraits/lighting).

Purchasing a general photography setup is by far the cheapest, and also by far the most expensive to invest in unless you know what you'll need down the line. But a plus side for buying expensive gear, you'll be able to unload it for some cash to another fellow photographer when you want to upgrade.

I'd also advise to stay within the general Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony range and ignore the Leica just because $8000 is a lot less when you go Leica. There's always more to buy with photographic gear...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The D300 is 14-bit. The 5D is 12-bit. The bit of additional extreme wide range of the 5D does not make up for this disadvantage.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Seeing as you've obviously used the Rangefinders, how would they stack up when doing conventional photography courses? I know very little about the Leica system, other than it offers some unique challenges, but would it be worthwhile for everyday photography?

The only place that it wouldn't occur to me to use a rangefinder is in a studio shoot. Other than that, I think that the rangefinder offers unique opportunities, not challenges. It is a wonderful tool.

If you are doing studio work primarily, I would look at a medium or large format camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.