Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
So I want a bigger and better panel monitor.....

Specs I need:

Photo editing (crisp and out the box color accuracy important!!!! close to it at least)
24" or greater
widescreen preferred
Matches up to Apple Cinema Displays or better
Around $600 (flexible but not too much)
Just need a monitor, no speakers or that extra bs...

So what's good?

Thanks!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I got my 23" Apple Cinema Display on eBay for $400 "buy it now"
It is in perfect condition with Apple Care still remaining

Don't know how I got along without it ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Here are some good monitors for that kind of work:

Doublesight DS-265W
Planar PX2611W
HP LP2475W

All match your specs and are around at your budget. Not the best screens, but good performance for the price, all posess H-IPS panels, and are highly regarded.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Here are some good monitors for that kind of work:

Doublesight DS-265W
Planar PX2611W
HP LP2475W

All match your specs and are around at your budget. Not the best screens, but good performance for the price, all posess H-IPS panels, and are highly regarded.

I've looked into those and yea, they each have their on unique problems but how do they compare to the apple cinema display?

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
So I want a bigger and better panel monitor.....

Specs I need:

Photo editing (crisp and out the box color accuracy important!!!! close to it at least)
24" or greater
widescreen preferred
Matches up to Apple Cinema Displays or better
Around $600 (flexible but not too much)
Just need a monitor, no speakers or that extra bs...

So what's good?

Thanks!

EIZO or NEC 22" ~ 24" should match your preferences fine. Their colour accuracy and gamut will eat most consumer LCDs for breakfast. Even though your price range doesn't get you past the 24" with those.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
crisp and out the box color accuracy important!!!! close to it at least

"out the box" will never be perfect, maybe close. Any monitor needs to be calibrated to fit the GPU, software, lighting conditions. Also on most modern LCDs turn of economy mode and dynamic back lighting which play with your colour accuracy essentially. Get a screen shades instead if the light in your work space changes a lot.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
I've looked into those and yea, they each have their on unique problems but how do they compare to the apple cinema display?

Most Apple LCDs/ LEDs panels are made by Samsung. This should be your reference point. Not bad neither outstanding.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
So im looking for an IPS screen correct since all macs are. So right now I'm hovering between

New 24" Apple display vs Used 23" Apple Cinema Display. Can anyone with some experience do a personal comparo of these two for me??

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Most Apple LCDs/ LEDs panels are made by Samsung. This should be your reference point. Not bad neither outstanding.

false. ACD panels are made by LG.

So im looking for an IPS screen correct since all macs are. So right now I'm hovering between

New 24" Apple display vs Used 23" Apple Cinema Display. Can anyone with some experience do a personal comparo of these two for me??

if the 24" display is anything like the 24" iMac, it's waaaay too bright, and the colors are (at least) slightly oversaturated. i have a 20" Cinema - it's brightest setting is the iMac's darkest...and i photoedit on the Cinema's lowest brightness (or close to it).

OP: use this website: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm. do a panel search for "IPS". or, if you're lazy and have lots of money lying around, just buy an Eizo.

miket019

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2007
California
I would definitely recommend the 30" dell, it works great for me. If you on a budget, the 27" dell refurbish is selling for $599 right now, they are as good as new. Hope this help.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 135

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I would definitely recommend the 30" dell, it works great for me. If you on a budget, the 27" dell refurbish is selling for $599 right now, they are as good as new. Hope this help.

I have a Dell IPS display and am extremely pleased with it.

Whatever you decide to buy, do leave room in your budget for a colorimeter, if you don't already have one.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Unless you're getting a used/refurbished apple display, they're all overpriced for what you want. The monitors I and others have been listing deliver a much better performance for the price. They have their problems, but better monitors will run you in the $900-$1300 range, such as the NEC.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007

Right now neither of those displays are a good choice for photo work.

The 24" LED display is oversaturated and has a poor temperature (LED's are white only, not RGB like in the highest end displays. The current display can't quite reproduce the broad spectrum output of the newest CFFL's, which is why the *very* high end color critical displays still use them.

And frankly, the 23" ACD is outdated, and still goes for too much money compared to new displays of much better specs.

I agree with the person above who recommended the Doublesight DS-265W, Planar PX2611W, and HP LP2475W. All will outpace the older 23" Cinema Display, and will have better color reproduction than the newest 24" LED Cinema Display.

Of course, if you can afford it, just pick up a NEC 2490WUxi. Or if you've got really big bucks, pick up a HP 2480zx, IMO one of the best displays on the market right now.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
NEC, Eizo, LaCie, and HP all have color-correct monitors. Look for deals on the net and in your local ads from photographers that are exiting the business. I picked up an HP 2480zx (Dreamcolor) for 500 USD from an HP employee who needed quick cash (it was only two months old).

RGB LED allows for WIDE gamut...target this as one of your top features if you can.

30" monitors are very nice...I run 2 24" monitors (HP and Apple) for less than I would a single 30". The HP flips from landscape to portrait--further invalidating the need for a big 30".

Good luck.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Hey guys so I'm settled on the HP LP2475W and a X-Rite EODIS2 Eye-One Display 2

qveda

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
I'm really happy with my Planar 26". and Planar has great customer support.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Good choice. That monitor, calibrated, is probably the best performance for the remarkably small price you pay - possibly the cheapest good IPS panel on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.