Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
I hope I'm not thread-jacking but I have a couple somewhat relevant questions:

Anyone who can recommend a cheap LED IPS monitor??
I'm about all in on the HP LP2475W but I really, really want a LED monitor. Preferrably in the same price class as the HP LP2475W.

Also which cheap and good color calibrator would be worth going after?

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Ghost child, yes, but with caveats - you'll either need to split the display signal - inadvisable - or buy a DisplayLink USB ->DVI converter, which also don't have full functionality. So it doesn't support two true external displays fully.

PimpDaddy, there's no such thing as a cheap LED IPS monitor. If you're talking about LED backlit displays, that adds a ton to the cost and the benefits are not necessarily worth the money. If you're talking about LED displays, those are amazing, but much more expensive. You won't be finding either of those in anything resembling the price class of the HP LP2475w.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I hope I'm not thread-jacking but I have a couple somewhat relevant questions:

Anyone who can recommend a cheap LED IPS monitor??
I'm about all in on the HP LP2475W but I really, really want a LED monitor. Preferrably in the same price class as the HP LP2475W.

Also which cheap and good color calibrator would be worth going after?

What makes you so set on a LED backlit display? For the most part they don't have any real advantages in terms of color accuracy over W-CFFL displays untill you start getting into the really super high end range (read: Dreamcolor).

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
PimpDaddy, there's no such thing as a cheap LED IPS monitor. If you're talking about LED backlit displays, that adds a ton to the cost and the benefits are not necessarily worth the money. If you're talking about LED displays, those are amazing, but much more expensive. You won't be finding either of those in anything resembling the price class of the HP LP2475w.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :).
I was thinking about getting a LED backlit display because of the improved lifespan of the display an slightly better color accuracy(?).

What makes you so set on a LED backlit display? For the most part they don't have any real advantages in terms of color accuracy over W-CFFL displays untill you start getting into the really super high end range (read: Dreamcolor).

See above :)

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Yeah, but I dislike 22" monitors that only measure 1680x1050. Same resolution as a 20" screen. At that point I'd prefer to bump up to a 24" display. Then again, I need as many pixels as I can cram into an area.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I picked up an Hanns G 23" 1080P for $189, although if i had more of a budget, i would get something that is easier to navigate, ie; menus, etc.

eizo are about the best you can get, but they are so super $$$... $6K for a 30" from B&H.

ghostchild

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Hey guys as per your recommendations I got this monitor and have just set it up and I am currently using it. One major problem I have is the anti-aliasing.... the text looks a little too blurry and I can't seem to fix it using the "Appearance" preference, any third party programs to change this for mac??

Also HP hates Apple... :( can't download the drivers for it...

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up for me :).
I was thinking about getting a LED backlit display because of the improved lifespan of the display an slightly better color accuracy(?).
LED backlit does not mean either longer lifespan, or better color accuracy. White LED's dim and change temperature over time the same way CCFL's do, because the phosphors used age in the same way. Color accuracy wise, white LED's have no advantage at all in this arena. CCFL displays in the high end, (and even the not so high end anymore), often have superior spectral output over a broader range, while white LEDs have much more narrow output, and much harsher spikes.

Only the newest and most advanced RGB backlit displays have any real advantage, and they are still very, very expensive.

amy4565

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
Advice

According to me there is two monitors which I used is Doublesight and
HP. Now it's up to you which one you choose both are good.

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Hey guys as per your recommendations I got this monitor and have just set it up and I am currently using it. One major problem I have is the anti-aliasing.... the text looks a little too blurry and I can't seem to fix it using the "Appearance" preference, any third party programs to change this for mac??

Also HP hates Apple... :( can't download the drivers for it...

You don't need or use display drivers on a Mac - the Mac reads device EDID and figures it out automatically, which is why they don't have drivers for it. I don't think your problem is antialiasing so much as display settings - play around with the On-Screen Display (OSD) controls, try tweaking the sharpness. Check on the internet, such as on [H]ardforum's display forums (they're really good for stuff like this) for optimal settings. Then calibrate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.