Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Can someone help me set up Macs Fan Control to lower the temps a bit, especially to help with the HDD temps. During heavy load HDDs can go up to 50C. Temps shown are with side panel removed.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.08.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 10.08.32 PM.png
    123 KB · Views: 2,802
Last edited:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
The Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1 default fan settings (like most Macs) are aiming for very silent operation but can result in (too) high Temps.
The construction of the cMP concerning airflow is very well thought and efficient, and leaving the side panel off is not recommended and will effect negatively (mainly) the CPU compartment Temps.
As you may have noticed the HDDs (which generate heat themselves too) Temps increase from bay1 going up to bay4.
This is above all caused by the heat the GPU generates.

The PSU fan blows air not only through the PSU , but through a few slots above the drive bays too.
I'd recommend the following:
-remove PCI slot covers from unused PCI slots and leave it open.
-set the PCI fan depending on PCIE ambient (see screenshot)
-set PSU depending on PSU supply 2 (see screenshot)

To keep all Temps low in the CPU compartment i'd recommend:
-Intake and Boost A fan depending on NB diode (see screenshot)

Other things to consider :
-HDDs generate much more heat than SSDs
-If possible (depending on the amount of PCIe cards and height of the GPU), you could move the GPU to slot2 instead of slot 1. Backdraw is to lose slot 3 ,if the GPU occupies 2 slots.
This way there will be airflow underneath the GPU so it stays cooler.

All fan setups are a bit personal as well, e.g. I prefer low Temps.
You could test this setup and tweak it to your taste and workload, finding a balance between low Temps and fan noise...
EDIT: This is a general recommendation without knowing any details about the hardware installed and the type of load.
Finally de-dusting the cMP regularly is recommended and can result in significantly lower Temps as well...

Attachments

• screenshot1.png
    screenshot1.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,311
  • screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,213
  • screenshot3.png
    screenshot3.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,078
  • screenshot4.png
    screenshot4.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,187
Last edited:

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it. I've moved the warmer drive to slot 1, put the side panel back on, and made the changes you recommended. Can't move the GPU, all slots occupied. I wonder if I could turn the 2 fans on the RX580 on to create more air flow but I guess it would just blow hot air at the drives.

For the intake, 55C seems a bit high, at the moment my CPU A Diode is 46C. What made you choose 55C?

Thanks again!

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Pleasure to help!
I wonder if I could turn the 2 fans on the RX580 on to create more air flow but I guess it would just blow hot air at the drives.
AFAIK the fans of the RX580 are controlled internally , so no access through software ...

For the intake, 55C seems a bit high, at the moment my CPU A Diode is 46C. What made you choose 55C?

The Intake and Boost fan are controlled by NorthBridge Diode not CPU diode ;)

Reactions: jacekkr and mrt209
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.