Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Between the two, I'd still go with the D70s. Despite the D100 being a higher end model at the time, the D70s is newer, and overall, a better camera IMO. I've shot with a D100 before (wearing a lovely 18-200 VR nonetheless!!), and between that and my D70s, I preferred mine.

Yeah, that's what I think. But why does the D100 cost the same?

I know no current Nikon cameras match the D100 in terms of eyepoint.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The thing about Nikon is, they've been very aggressive with their low-end SLRs (like the old Avis rent-a-car ads say, when you're #2 you try harder). This means you don't give up as much as you might think going with the D70/s as opposed to the D100/D200 series. You can always read Thom Hogan's comparative reviews, noting that the D100 review will have been written well prior to the release of the D70/s:

D100 review
D70/D70s review

Differences probably come down to some added controls (although I've never felt my D70 had anything missing), weather sealing maybe, and viewfinder quality. The D70 viewfinder is only so-so, in my opinion, so if you do a LOT of manual focussing that might be a strike against the lower-end camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.