Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soup4you2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I love the BenQ FP241W 24in Widescreen Monitor. The colour callibration is excellent.

Truly magnificent monitor for the money.

Review here.

Not sure how available in the US it is.

Agreed, I'm using 2x 24" BenQ FP241W displays. and their great.. my cinema display looks lonely sitting in the closet now, with no purpose.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Why not a refurbished Dell 30" 3007WFP-HC? 92% NTSC gamut, S-IPS panel, $749 from Dell?
Aaaaaargh!:eek: I only just ordered two NEC26" monitors for £740 including postage to UK
Having said that, I couldn't buy the Dells anyway as it's US customers only. :( [and the postage would be silly money].

Anyway here the link for the NECs http://www.shopsharksystems.com/browse/currency-USD/product/80-monitors_and_displays/82-lcd_monitors/LCD2690WUXI-BK-R for the NEC LCD2690WUXI-BK at $452 [US].
There was a glitch and issues with my order, not their fault, due to transactions abroad/posting very heavy monitors... and Jake at Shark Systems was very helpful in sorting it out.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
Hp Lp2475w

Tuesday I ordered an HP LP2475W which has a number of reviews on the web and is highly regarded. It's an S-IPS panel and offers all the inputs and features you could want. I'll follow up this post with my impressions once I receive it, hopefully on Friday!

Here is a pretty comprehensive review of the HP: HP2475W Review

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Which is better for digital photography? higher contrast ratio, like 3000:1 ? or 800-1000:1 ? and why?

Neither. What you care about for photography is color fidelity. Some cheep displays hve 6-bit DACs (You want 8.)

If you think about it a 100 watt light bulb has a HUGE "contrast ratio" but it only shows one pixel in one color.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I'd love to get a PVA display, but it's outside my price range at the moment. My justification for the TN display is that for web photograph, at least my work will look consistent across most people's LCDs. I'm betting on the fact that most Laptops and LCDs out there are TN because they are the most affordable for people who don't know any better.

Until I get a proper job, I'll have to be content with a TN display.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
I have a Dell 24 and it's great - especially for the price. I think I paid around $600 for mine about 8 months ago. I considered the ACD, but they seemed a bit pricey at the time especially given upgrade rumors.

I like that the Dell has input ports on the side - USB, card slots etc. That's pretty handy. The picture is nice and I love the real estate between my 15MBP and the Dell 24.

FWIW - they perform well together. No compatibility issues etc. that I have experienced.

sideburnbob

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
Monitor for design/photography

I am a new member to this site. This is my first post. I am a graphic designer/photographer and have been thinking of getting an LCD display to connect my MacBook Pro laptop to when I'm working on design/photography stuff.

I have actually considered getting a 32" LCD TV and using a DVI-HDMI connection opposed to a computer monitor. This way I get a lot more for my money and can use the screen to watch TV and watch DVD's and BLURAYS when i'm not working.

Anyone thought about or done this?

Panel type (TN, PVA, IPS, S-IPS, H-IPS), color gamut, and viewing angles are all more important than contrast ratio, especially on a big monitor.

Contrast ratio, like megapixels, is 90% marketing hype - not a good way to pick your display.

Actually this is incorrect. Contrast ratio is one of the most important aspects to both HDTV's and computer monitors. It is true that these numbers are fudged and the true contrast ratio is always lower then the advertised numbers however its still one of the most important aspects to the image quality of a monitor. All of the really good monitors have very good contrast ratio. That is not a coincidence.

As for which model to get, if color accuracy and quality are extremely important then I would suggest getting a Lacie monitor. They are outstanding in those departments.

I am a new member to this site. This is my first post. I am a graphic designer/photographer and have been thinking of getting an LCD display to connect my MacBook Pro laptop to when I'm working on design/photography stuff.

I have actually considered getting a 32" LCD TV and using a DVI-HDMI connection opposed to a computer monitor. This way I get a lot more for my money and can use the screen to watch TV and watch DVD's and BLURAYS when i'm not working.

Anyone thought about or done this?

Yeah I currently have my MacPro hooked up to dual monitors. One of them is an Apple Cinema Display and the other is an HDTV which is connected via DVI-HDMI adapter. It works great. Here is a pic, my MacPro uses the two leftmost monitors.

DSC00038B-1.jpg

It lets ya watch HDTV on the same monitor you use for your computer. Nothing wrong with getting dual use out of something.

By the way this is a temporary set up which is why its such a disaster at the moment. We are having an addition added on to our home and I have had to move all of my computer stuff, amongst many other things, into this room for the time being. Its a disaster but I am getting a nice big brand new computer room when this is finally all done :)

qveda

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Hi gotmyorangecrus,

haven't considered using a more mass-marketed HDTV for photography.
Do you feel that your HDTV is comparable in resolution and color etc to a "computer monitor" that would be suitable for dig. photography?

I would imagine that an HDTV would be a cost effective '2nd' monitor', but probably wouldn't have the resolution and color quality for use a a main monitor for dig. photography

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
Follow-up on HP LP2475w

The HP LP2475w came in today, and all I can say is that I am BLOWN AWAY. There is NO doubt that H-IPS is way beyond the TN panel I had in my 21.5" Samsung. I have yet to calibrate this and despite reports on the web to the contrary, it looks amazing out of the box with no calibration. I'm going to bring the eye-one home tomorrow from work and I'm sure it will look even better after calibration. I did have to drop the brightness and contrast down a bit, but it looks amazing. The entire unit is so well made, this is HP's workstation class device and it shows. It has every imaginable connection type... 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 Display Port, Component, Composite and S-video! Has a USB 2.0 hub built in as well, gives 6 USB ports total which is great.

Though I'm using it mounted to my vesa articulating arm, the stand that it comes with is really nice, much better than the Dell's I've had in the past. It's a serious piece of gear.

I picked it up for $550 shipped on eBay brand new sealed which was a very good price for this unit.

Hope this helps, the LP2475w is definitely worth considering.

petemwah

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
I love the BenQ FP241W 24in Widescreen Monitor. The colour callibration is excellent.

Truly magnificent monitor for the money.

Review here.

Not sure how available in the US it is.

i have the BenQ FP241VW myself, it's exactly the same as the FP241W-Z, but everywhere had sold out of the WZ when i went to buy it (online and shops!) so i settled for the FP241VW. Not too keep on the design, but the monitor itself is beautiful!

Review is here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.