Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2024
The Apple TV and the AVP are two very different products. I would be stunned if there wasn't a lengthy section on VisionOS 2.0
Prepare to be stunned then. Vision Pro has gone very poorly for Apple, and Apple does not chase failed products, or throw good money after bad. Content is non-existent, Apps and developer interest are non-existent, and continued interest at stores and sales are now non-existent. The initial rush is over and amounted to about a half a day's worth of sales for Apple. None of which is surprising considering it is essentially a tech demo of an iPad on your face for $3,500. I expect there to be a visionOS 2, and I expect some modest changes, but nothing earth shattering, nothing that dramatically changes or enhances its functionality, and nothing that changes its biggest problems. If this product had any traction at all, there would be rumors of version 2 in the pipeline. Only rumors of version 2 for months are now are that it was cancelled.

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Sorry to keep pushing this, but again, it is just a lack of understanding. You're the type that understands just enough to get yourself into trouble. M4 is no where near that much more efficient than M2. Not even remotely close. Nor is it so much more advanced than M2 that it would be getting software updates longer. Apple has yet to introduce ANYTHING hardware wise that would one day cut off macOS from M1 let alone M4. You're worried about all of the wrong things.
I bow to your superior intellect

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Yep - that's why I'm tempted to wait until the next release!
If there's consensus about anything related to the AVP, it's that the next hardware release is at least a year or so off. Could Apple surprise us with a less expensive AVP sooner? Not impossible, but highly unlikely. Only you can say whether you can afford it, but when the AVP is available in the UK, why not try one for a week or so and see? As long as you're careful not to damage it, there's no downside.

The trolls, in their imagined wisdom, will say there's no reason to buy an AVP. But there are a lot of people here and on other social media who are enjoying and productively using the AVP as it is.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Prepare to be stunned then. Vision Pro has gone very poorly for Apple, and Apple does not chase failed products, or throw good money after bad. Content is non-existent, Apps and developer interest are non-existent, and continued interest at stores and sales are now non-existent. The initial rush is over and amounted to about a half a day's worth of sales for Apple. None of which is surprising considering it is essentially a tech demo of an iPad on your face for $3,500. I expect there to be a visionOS 2, and I expect some modest changes, but nothing earth shattering, nothing that dramatically changes or enhances its functionality, and nothing that changes its biggest problems. If this product had any traction at all, there would be rumors of version 2 in the pipeline. Only rumors of version 2 for months are now are that it was cancelled.
this product is been out a number of months and is still US only. This is not a product for most people i fail to understand people still aren't getting this.

it's going to take years to to get more interest due to the price point and availability.

vision OS will get some time at WWDC it has to.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Has there been much criticism of the hardware in the Visio Pro being underpowered?

I know there's also the R1 co-processor in there, so it's not all on the M2 chip to do the heavy lifting. I can't see them refreshing the hardware for a couple of years, so we'll probably be way past the M4 by then anyway. I wouldn't be making a decision on purchasing based on the M4 release in any way to be honest.

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2024
this product is been out a number of months and is still US only. This is not a product for most people i fail to understand people still aren't getting this.

it's going to take years to to get more interest due to the price point and availability.

vision OS will get some time at WWDC it has to.
1. It doesn’t have years. That isn’t how Apple operates.
2. No, it’s ‘ “have to”. It will get a passing mention, but more than 2 minutes, I don’t think so.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
1. It doesn’t have years. That isn’t how Apple operates.
2. No, it’s ‘ “have to”. It will get a passing mention, but more than 2 minutes, I don’t think so.
1. Apple sold 275k iPods in its first year (a product that’s 10x cheaper than AVP) - Why didn’t they give up on it?

The current AVP is the original Tesla Roadster. We’re multiple iterations away from when this becomes affordable and appealing for most people. I personally believe Apple are willing to work towards that rather than abandoning ship, given how much they’ve invested in this area

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I guess with the M2 being so good to start with, there's less of a risk of that happening here - but the fact that battery life will likely go up significantly with a 3nm chip is still frustrating.

The actual m processor chip is only a small part of the overall power consumption so even a large decrease here would have minimal overall impact. Don’t forget the screens, all the cameras, the front visor screen, the custom chip…

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
The actual m processor chip is only a small part of the overall power consumption so even a large decrease here would have minimal overall impact. Don’t forget the screens, all the cameras, the front visor screen, the custom chip…
Yes agreed! It would be helpful to have a breakdown of screens/R1/M2 power consumption to see how material it is. I know with most apple products the screen is major part of the power consumption these days - but I’m assuming it’s less of a factor in AVP given how small the screens are? Pure speculation though…

Reactions: G5isAlive

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Firstly there seems to be a lack of 3D/interactive content from Apple, which I won't go into here because I'm sure its covered in other threads, but on top of that, the release of the M4 has made me question the value of the AVP in its current form. The M2 architecture dates all the way back to the A15 from September 2021, and notably Apple confirmed that the M4 has the same performance as M2 while using just 50% of the power. That's a HUGE change in 3 years and I'd imagine by the time we get an AVP refresh we'll be on the M5/M6. These big leaps in efficiency will allow much greater battery life, and ALSO a slimmer/lighter headset design - both of which are hugely welcome and perhaps the 2 biggest sticking points of the current hardware.
they're totally different devices with different BOMs and use cases.

What are you going to do, strap an iPad to your face?

If you want an AR headset now, as you did, you run with the tech available now.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Yes agreed! It would be helpful to have a breakdown of screens/R1/M2 power consumption to see how material it is. I know with most apple products the screen is major part of the power consumption these days - but I’m assuming it’s less of a factor in AVP given how small the screens are? Pure speculation though…
Small, but bright and high resolution, but oled lol. Look it is what it is, I don’t think as you stated somewhere it might mean the difference of one hour, if anything it will be measured in minutes, a few. For example compare the the m4 iPad Pro 11 inch to the m2 iPad Pro 11 inch. There isn’t a huge difference, if any, in battery life. An m4 would not change the AVP battery experience.

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Small, but bright and high resolution, but oled lol. Look it is what it is, I don’t think as you stated somewhere it might mean the difference of one hour, if anything it will be measured in minutes, a few. For example compare the the m4 iPad Pro 11 inch to the m2 iPad Pro 11 inch. There isn’t a huge difference, if any, in battery life. An m4 would not change the AVP battery experience.
Yeah fair - all guess work at the end of the day I suppose unless we have a breakdown of power consumption by component. My hunch is still a noticeable difference (atleast 30-45 minutes) but maybe they'd eat that efficiency up by making the displays bigger/brighter etc. Fun to think about :)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Yeah fair - all guess work at the end of the day I suppose unless we have a breakdown of power consumption by component. My hunch is still a noticeable difference (atleast 30-45 minutes

well, if that kind of guesswork that goes against what we historically see is what you need to help you not get the AVP, okay then! But there really is no reason to believe that 😂

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
well, if that kind of guesswork that goes against what we historically see is what you need to help you not get the AVP, okay then! But there really is no reason to believe that 😂
Yeahhh I wouldn’t say it’s that outlandish - from the M2 11 inch iPP to the M4, I’m guessing the takes more power, which is offsetting the efficiency savings of the chipset. Those numbers above assume that M2 is roughly 50% of the power budget of the AVP, and that the M4 reduces energy consumption by around 50% - I don’t think either of those is crazy!

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Yeahhh I wouldn’t say it’s that outlandish - from the M2 11 inch iPP to the M4, I’m guessing the takes more power, which is offsetting the efficiency savings of the chipset. Those numbers above assume that M2 is roughly 50% of the power budget of the AVP, and that the M4 reduces energy consumption by around 50% - I don’t think either of those is crazy!

Yep you keep quoting those cpu numbers, and I’m not disagreeing there, but historically that’s always been true since the M1, and people have always predicted based on that alone substantial device battery life increases… and how often have we seen it? Zero. Nada. Zilch. It’s always within 5%, which on 120 minutes meaning even if real, that’s 6 minutes, not the 30 or more you keep predicting. That’s true for Mac’s, iPads, and iPhones. Why do you think the avp is different? Smaller screens you say, though still 4k I say, and extra cpu, and extra sensors, why does the avp already have a hefty battery? It takes a lot of power, and it’s not the M2. Your assumption that it’s 50% has zero basis. So maybe you’re right in this case, or maybe you’re like the hundreds before who have predicted similar and been disappointed. If I was going to Vegas I know where I’d be placing my bets. 🖖

Reactions: fatTribble

Onimusha370

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Yep you keep quoting those cpu numbers, and I’m not disagreeing there, but historically that’s always been true since the M1, and people have always predicted based on that alone substantial device battery life increases… and how often have we seen it? Zero. Nada. Zilch. It’s always within 5%, which on 120 minutes meaning even if real, that’s 6 minutes, not the 30 or more you keep predicting. That’s true for Mac’s, iPads, and iPhones. Why do you think the avp is different? Smaller screens you say, though still 4k I say, and extra cpu, and extra sensors, why does the avp already have a hefty battery? It takes a lot of power, and it’s not the M2. Your assumption that it’s 50% has zero basis. So maybe you’re right in this case, or maybe you’re like the hundreds before who have predicted similar and been disappointed. If I was going to Vegas I know where I’d be placing my bets. 🖖
See you in vegas 😎

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.