Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GRuizMD

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
this is different from scarlet. scarlet's a small form-factor professional video camcorder.

Posted in some other thread...

red-scarlet-dslr.jpg

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
this is different from scarlet. scarlet's a small form-factor professional video camcorder.

Actually, the previous post was correct. The Red Scarlet's design has been scrapped and they are apparently going to approach it from a different angle. Jim Jannard is perhaps a bigger fan of photography than he ever was of film or video. That said, with the recent introduction of prosumer cameras like the new Canon 5d MkII shooting 21MP images as well as 1080p video, it looks as if Jannard saw the writing on the wall.

Red Scarlet will reportedly be repackaged as a digital SLR with 3k video capability. It won't be cheap, but it will shake up the market.

Gotta love the fact that Jannard hasn't given up on the Blade Runner influence in his products' designs. Oakley's headquarters was , and still is, a thing of beauty.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Hmm....

I wonder if it will actually be functional out of the box, and won't rely on months upon months of firmware updates to actually make all of the promised features usable.

Also I would imagine that many of the people who would be in a position to buy a new camera body by RED, would have already invested considerable dollars into either the canon or nikon system. Even if the body is amazing, it's probably going to take a lot to convince people to abandon their already purchased glass, flashes, ect.

iMeanIt

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Temporarily in Michigan
Scarlet is a Video Camera

That has always been my understanding, and I've been watching Red for over a year. The confusion about it being a DSLR might be because there is speculation that (with an adaptor) it could use Nikon and/or Canon DSLR lenses for extra versatility. Red recently withdrew the design it previewed at the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) Convention last April. Their comment was that "the industry has changed, and we have learned" since the original design was introduced. The estimated cost at that time was around $3000USD. Many expect (hope) their new design will have similar pricing.

Like the Red One, Scarlet is expected to record video onto Compact Flash cards - a 16GB card would hold about 4 minutes of exterme quality HD video.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hmm....

I wonder if it will actually be functional out of the box, and won't rely on months upon months of firmware updates to actually make all of the promised features usable.

Also I would imagine that many of the people who would be in a position to buy a new camera body by RED, would have already invested considerable dollars into either the canon or nikon system. Even if the body is amazing, it's probably going to take a lot to convince people to abandon their already purchased glass, flashes, ect.

It is supposed to have adapters to use existing Canon and Nikon glass. I don't think RED is getting to deep into the lens business.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I guess I don't buy this argument. If it's not disruptive in sales, neither Nikon nor Canon will feel obligated to respond - why would they?
They have. Didn't you notice the video capabilities on D90 + 5DII. It's always been posible before and it's interesting, both companies suddenly enable this feature. Nothing has to be added,
You can enable lots of features on cameras by updating firmware, you can shoot RAW for example with an Canon Ixus [Elph in US I think] P+S by tweaking firmware.
If anyone is interested in tweaking Canons, Google 'chkd canon'.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
So I wonder which manufacturer is going to build their camera? and how much will it cost? So far RED products is $$$$
DVD recorders are now about £20/$40 [if buying for a PC]. Yet I remember them being over a £1000/$2000 when they first appeared.
I can buy a computer for a tenth I paid for my first machine and it will be more powerful as well as much cheaper.
All new technology is expensive initially, so I don't understand why people moan about such stuff being expensive.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)

it uses SLR glasses from Canon (not sure about Nikon but I this it can too). Most popular lenses are the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8IS. But I would love to use a tilt-shift on it!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
All new technology is expensive initially, so I don't understand why people moan about such stuff being expensive.
Lol, you misunderstood me, I'm not moaning that its expensive, Im just saying that RED stuffs is always expensive just like how Apple is always expensive (not that I care about it).

Anyway owning RED means business :).

Also, I have another philosophy which is, if you can't own it, don't complain that the company should make it cheaper. I sometime will whine a little bit about it, but I won't go to the extend of blaming (and booing) the company for selling expensive products (as long as the quality is there). :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.