Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
My biggest regret is not taking time out to learn more about aperture and iso and when it's best to use what.

I'm still learning, but at the moment I just kind of guess. I know what they both do, but I suppose I need some hard-and-fast rules.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
My biggest regret is not taking time out to learn more about aperture and iso and when it's best to use what.

I'm still learning, but at the moment I just kind of guess. I know what they both do, but I suppose I need some hard-and-fast rules.

Keep taking pictures and you will learn quickly.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Regrets? I found an unused Kodak slide roll in the bag of my trusty Pentax ME Super! Why didn't I check it earlier?

You know, you just reminded me of one regret I have.

I regret that I stocked up on so much Seattle Filmworks film back in the day. Recently I went through my old Pentax camera's bag and threw out about two dozen unshot (and long-expired) rolls. :p

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I suppose I could add buying four rolls of high quality print and slide film one day before my film camera bit the big one. I have a history of great timing.

Dale

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
That reminds me... I've got about 25 exposed rolls of mostly black and white film which could be either T-Max 400 or HP5+ 400 and a few color neg rolls. They are all rolls I loaded myself with a bulk loader, so until I develop them, I won't know for sure. At least the developing times are fairly similar.

The interesting thing is they are all around 12 years old... and I have no idea what's on them. I guess I'll find out soon... :)

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
Yeah those big faux-DSLRs are generally a bad value, considering you can get much better image quality in a smaller camera (high-end compacts and micro 4/3ds) for only a little more $$$.

So far my regrets are skimping on the tripod head (got a Velbon, should have gotten at least a Manfrotto), and paying too much on the body relative to how much I spent on my initial lenses (7D with 50mm f/1.8 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC). If I could do it over again I'd get a T2i with a selection of fast primes, and upgrade to the 5D Mark III body if I can afford it by then.

Grasher

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
First one would be not learning photography better and buying a DSLR earlier than I did. I started to get into photography about 4 years ago, but only casually, and didn't buy my first DSLR until just over a year ago. The regretful part of this is that I missed getting better photographs of my son's first six months. When I compare the quality of the toddler photographs that I take of him now to the baby photos that I have of him the difference is enormous. My wife's expecting our second child (due tomorrow!) so there's going to be a really obvious difference between their baby photos.

Second one I'm not sure if I do actually regret, but it's in buying a Sony DSLR rather than a Canon or Nikon. I have absolutely no regrets over the image quality and I've taken lots of shots that I'm really happy with but at the back of my mind there's always the question of future upgrades. I don't for a minute think that having a Canon/Nikon would do anything for the quality of my images, but I just wonder about the ease of getting lenses and accessories. At the time I focused on the particular body, kit lens and price and didn't really consider the idea that you're buying into a system.

On the flip side, life would be rather dull if we had no regrets!

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
My only photography regret is not buying a DSLR sooner.

The other one is not taking more pictures in general. I went years without any sort of camera and never thought much about it. Looking back I wish I had more pictures to remember those times.

Woodrow72

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2008
Utah
Regrets can ruin your life if you're not careful. But I like this topic and the discussion on it.

Photography wise I think the only regret I have is that I didn't pursue the love I had for this art sooner in life. I knew I loved photography but for some reason didn't pursue it until I was half way through college.

I regret that I didn't get to shoot film more when it was more popular and easier to acquire and process. Though today the film bodies are much cheaper so they are easier to collect.

Everything I regret I am now trying to change. We can never go back and change the past, but we can make a decision right now, today, to change the future.

mikshayne

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Dallas, TX
Here's to Life

"No complaints and no regrets
I still believe in chasing dreams and placing bets
For I have learned that all you give is all you get
So give it all you've got"

From "Here's to Life"....Music and Lyrics by Artie Butler and Phyllis Molinary
Regrets can ruin your life if you're not careful. But I like this topic and the discussion on it.

Photography wise I think the only regret I have is that I didn't pursue the love I had for this art sooner in life. I knew I loved photography but for some reason didn't pursue it until I was half way through college.

I regret that I didn't get to shoot film more when it was more popular and easier to acquire and process. Though today the film bodies are much cheaper so they are easier to collect.

Everything I regret I am now trying to change. We can never go back and change the past, but we can make a decision right now, today, to change the future.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
We can never go back and change the past, but we can make a decision right now, today, to change the future.

"The past is history, the future is a mystery, and this moment is a gift. That is why it's called 'the present'."

Anonymous (Eleanor Roosevelt, I think).

I have no regrets about hanging out on MacRumors for a year before posting. I learned a lot about digital photography.

Dale

mjones185

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Warner Robins,GA

Well put.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
A few more regrets, kind of.

I regret buying a new 30D for $1500 and then selling it 7-8 months later for $800. The guy I sold it to told me he would have bad karma for taking my camera. He saw my portfolio (8x10s i had printed, to show him that the camera works perfectly) and kinda made me sad i was selling.

I kinda regret trying to replace an SLR with a P&S with manual controls for 3 years.

I regret not buying a car with the money we got from when ours was totaled. No i rent a car from enterprise maybe once a month to go on my trips to take pictures and rent from Zip Car. But we are so close to downtown PDX, and the public transportation is really great actually. And the money we save from no car/insurance payments goes twords new glass/monitor/printer:) Although we have been car-less for a year and a half..:D

So with that said, i am about to pick up the car from enterprise and embark on a 30 waterfall, 30 mile+, 700 mile driving adventure in about a day and a half! Sleeping in the car in Crater Lake National Park, lol.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Hmmm, regrets......

-deleting photos of similar image too soon before that final PP was "done" of the money shot. I mean even prior to Time Machine capturing within the 1st hour!
-taking 400+ shots at the nature photography workshop I attended Jan-2010, and being too busy to sort them out, PP the possible "money shots", etc.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/838180/
Still on my "rainy day" list....
-My wife and I got the T1i + 2 kit lens with expectation both of us would be shooting with it. For some reason I've become "camera guy".....I'd like to re-wind the first month and get her involved with the hobby more, ie, I was a camera hog.

non regret:
-using my (2) kits lens more and more, until I really know what L lens would "improve" my photography satisfaction and complement my skill set

Little HZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
New Mexico
"Regrets, I have a few, then again, too few to mention ... "

But, since you asked ... ;)

I regret not taking a Photoshop class sooner than I did. I think I thought the software would be hard to learn. Instead, it is easy to learn. (The challenge is that there is so MUCH to learn, yet right out of the gate I learned things in Photoshop that I like to use.)

Meanwhile, congratulations, Grasher!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.