Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024

Reloading a Macbook to new condition​

I am helping a friend restore a Macbook to factory specs and cannot get it to do a full system wipe and reload. I've tried every keystroke combo known to man with no luck. I even went out and bought a complete Snow Leopard install DVD. it will reload but not wipe and reload. Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong on this one? The reason I'm doing a complete load is because we're getting "secure connection errors" in Safari and "time is ahead" errors in Google Chrome. Highly frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The reason I'm doing a complete load is because we're getting "secure connection errors" in Safari
Those will likely occur even after a reinstall. OS 10.6 most likely doesn't support TLS 1.2, which is the minimum required by many sites these days.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
Those will likely occur even after a reinstall. OS 10.6 most likely doesn't support TLS 1.2, which is the minimum required by many sites these days.
I've kinda come to that conclusion also. Age seems to be the killer with Apple devices. Still wondering what I'm doing wrong with my reload. It's like I'm trying to break into Fort Knox or something.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Still wondering what I'm doing wrong with my reload.
If you provided details on exactly what you've tried and exactly the errors you're seeing, it'd be much easier for people to try to help.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
If you provided details on exactly what you've tried and exactly the errors you're seeing, it'd be much easier for people to try to help.
Well as I stated it appears to be reloading and done I'm right back where I started. I've tried Command - R, Option - Command - R, and Shift option command R with same results being the same. I'm never givin option to delete/replace existing installation.
Errors I'm getting are from attempted website loads in 2 different browsers. I'm pretty sure Nermal hit the nail on the head regarding TLS. version being the issue with errors.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Well as I stated it appears to be reloading and done I'm right back where I started. I've tried Command - R, Option - Command - R, and Shift option command R with same results being the same. I'm never givin option to delete/replace existing installation.
If you have the DVD, you should be booting from the DVD. Use the Option key or C key when starting the Mac.

Are you sure that the DVD you have bought (from Apple?) is the version which will run on the Mac? For example, some Macs require 10.6.3. So: 1) What Mac, 2) what version DVD, 3) genuine Apple DVD?

Edit: If this Mac is used mainly for web browsing and email, have you considered installing a current Linux distribution?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigwaff

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Errors I'm getting are from attempted website loads in 2 different browsers. I'm pretty sure Nermal hit the nail on the head regarding TLS. version being the issue with errors.
Not all Macs which support Snow Leopard have internet recovery, and those that do would offer Lion or later even using command-option-shift-R. What model Mac are you working with here?

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
If you have the DVD, you should be booting from the DVD. Use the Option key or C key when starting the Mac.

Are you sure that the DVD you have bought (from Apple?) is the version which will run on the Mac? For example, some Macs require 10.6.3. So: 1) What Mac, 2) what version DVD, 3) genuine Apple DVD?

Edit: If this Mac is used mainly for web browsing and email, have you considered installing a current Linux distribution?
The MacBook was already running O/S 10.6 Snow Lep. so I'm pretty sure it will/is running the O/S ok. Install media appears to be original. I believe it's a MacBook of 2008 vintage.
By Linux distribution are we talking Mint or Ubuntu? Either of those might be a good option for me to consider.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
Not all Macs which support Snow Leopard have internet recovery, and those that do would offer Lion or later even using command-option-shift-R. What model Mac are you working with here?
Model identifier is 5.1. There is no internet recovery, that's why I'm using DVD.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Model identifier is 5.1. There is no internet recovery, that's why I'm using DVD.
That is the MacBook Pro 15" Late 2008.

That model runs 10.5.5 to 10.11.6, so I would expect any Apple created Snow Leopard to work. Have you booted from the DVD?

By Linux distribution are we talking Mint or Ubuntu
Those would be my first thoughts. Or Elementary. But I really don't know how well they run on a 2008 MacBook. Default Ubuntu is a fairly heavy Linux - requirements say 4GB RAM and your MacBook may be less than that.

You might get some thoughts from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/linux-on-2008-macbook.2194631/

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
The command-option-R and command-option-shift-R key commands are for internet recovery. Command-R only works if Lion or later is installed on disk- Snow Leopard and earlier OSes don't have a built-in recovery partition. To boot from the DVD you need to either hold down the C key or option key as the computer starts up with the DVD inserted in the drive.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
The command-option-R and command-option-shift-R key commands are for internet recovery. Command-R only works if Lion or later is installed on disk- Snow Leopard and earlier OSes don't have a built-in recovery partition. To boot from the DVD you need to either hold down the C key or option key as the computer starts up with the DVD inserted in the drive.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
Those keys did the trick. Thank You.
Need a clean d/l link for Arctic Fox browser that will run on os x 10.6.8.
Any ideas?

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024

That model runs 10.5.5 to 10.11.6, so I would expect any Apple created Snow Leopard to work. Have you booted from the DVD?

Those would be my first thoughts. Or Elementary. But I really don't know how well they run on a 2008 MacBook. Default Ubuntu is a fairly heavy Linux - requirements say 4GB RAM and your MacBook may be less than that.

You might get some thoughts from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/linux-on-2008-macbook.2194631/
Any ideas on where I can get a clean D/L link for Arctic Fox browser that will run on Snow Lep.?

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024

Hey gilby101 Thanks! I looked at those Linux links and while they are interesting being that this Laptop is not mine I'm gonna try to work with 10.6.8 for now. Any ideas on a Download link for Snow Lep. for the Arctic fox browser. I was following some links and ended up with 43.1 which is not for os x 10.6.8! I did get Fire fox to run on this L.T. but I've still got a few websites that are a no go even with the older version on FireFox.

rin67630

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2022
Those would be my first thoughts. Or Elementary. But I really don't know how well they run on a 2008 MacBook.
Elementary is just that: elementary.
Ubuntu Mate runs well on a white Macbook from 2007.
Once started, chose the Tweak "Cupertino". The feel is very close to a Mac.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
Arctic Fox Downloads page
arctic fox 43.1 seems to be the most recent update, and can be downloaded in three different versions. a 32-bit version for 10.6, a 64-bit, also for 10.6, and finally a 64-bit version for 10.7 Lion.
Those downloads are here
Any ideas on how to get ArcticFox loaded. I've D/L'd it and libC++ files and AF tells me this is the wrong version. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
Any ideas on how to get ArcticFox loaded. I've D/L'd it and libC++ files and AF tells me this is the wrong version. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I'm using 32 bit installs as nothing tells me this MacBook is 64-bit.

TomBelll

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2024
Thanks! That was my issue. Also Thanks for all the help this forum provided. Great people, most helpful!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.