Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sub.0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Is there any way to remove specific photos from the Selfie Folder without having to actually delete the photo from your phone?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
All it does is sort whatever is in your camera roll. If you delete it from the camera roll, it's removed from the Selfie Folder. You can't delete it from the Selfie folder but keep it on the phone.

Sub.0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Sacramento, CA
All it does is sort whatever is in your camera roll. If you delete it from the camera roll, it's removed from the Selfie Folder. You can't delete it from the Selfie folder but keep it on the phone.

So I would have to delete the photo entirely just to take it out of the Selfie folder is what your saying. The only option I get from deleting from the Camera Roll is to delete it from my iCloud Library.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wasn't there an option to hide photos in some way in iOS 8...and if so perhaps its still there in iOS 9?

Sub.0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Wasn't there an option to hide photos in some way in iOS 8...and if so perhaps its still there in iOS 9?

Yes there is. It still is in iOS 9 but they made it so you have to select the photo instead of holding it. Now that you mention it, even photos that are chosen to be hidden are still showing up in the Selfie/Screenshot folder. It shouldn't be showing up in those folders if you select to hide them.

Anyone have a solution for this? or Bug?

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
A solution to this would be nice. Half of the photos in my selfie album/folder don't have any people in them. I remember seeing somewhere that it just puts all of the pictures taken with the front-facing camera in there, but it's not really a "selfie" album if there are no people in the photo.

Reactions: Mac2me

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I want to delete the selfie folder altogether, but apparently Edit won't allow me to do that.

Boratz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
Here is the best solution I have found for such a stupid feature. Basically, I had a photo located in a folder that i frequently sync with my iphone. After the update, the photo was then copied to this new selfie folder. Right away this makes me think of EXIF data. EXIF data is information such as date, time, location, camera and so on. This is how ios 9 knows which photos have been taken from the front camera so that they can be placed in the selfie folder.

The fix:
After you sync your photos with your computer you simply delete the EXIF data before putting the photo back on the iphone.
This link will go into more detail on how to remove EXIF data:
http://christianheilmann.com/2014/1...om-photos-the-simple-way-removephotodata-com/

For the record, I love my apple products but this feature is more of a hassle.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Just like with Recently Deleted; a feature Apple should allow you to disable, but doesn't.

Boratz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
I agree. The only thing is that once you have removed all the photos from selfie/screenshots the folder will no longer be visible.

Boratz

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
It is a new feature so surely it has bugs. I was looking at the metadata for my test photos and it clearly identified the camera I used to take the photo. I just removed everything from the photo then I was able to move the photo to a more desired location and remove the selfie folder. I used some web tools to remove all the data before putting the photos back on my phone. Although, there could be a quicker solution on the app store called Photo Investigator that will clean the data for you but I have not tried it yet.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
A solution to this would be nice. Half of the photos in my selfie album/folder don't have any people in them. I remember seeing somewhere that it just puts all of the pictures taken with the front-facing camera in there, but it's not really a "selfie" album if there are no people in the photo.

Just out of interest, if you aren't taking selfies, what are you using the front camera for?

ios8updates

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
This did not work for me. The delete button is still greyed out even after moving the photo.

Delete button will be greyed out!

If you REMOVE all the photos, however, selfies album will disappear automatically as mentioned.

Sub.0

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Sacramento, CA

Rogue Riley12

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2016
Is there any way to remove specific photos from the Selfie Folder without having to actually delete the photo from your phone?
If you have snapchat go to memories>camera roll and select all the photos that you want to get rid of from the selfie folder and save them. Once you do this delete the old ones and wa-la. It worked for me and it works for all folders

BlackBetty380

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2016
No. CA
So I would have to delete the photo entirely just to take it out of the Selfie folder is what your saying. The only option I get from deleting from the Camera Roll is to delete it from my iCloud Library.

Doesn't work....I still have unwanted selfies that will NOT disappear. They have been completely deleted. I am waiting for a reply from Apple. Stupid folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.