Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squintypanda

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread but I've run into this same problem recently

All of a sudden I have this extra "others" account in the login screen

I believe this happened after I installed the "server" app, but does not go away after I tried removing the app

I've tried to disable root user route, but mine is set to disabled already. I also tried to enable and then disable it again, but the others account is still there.

I can't seem to find the "Allow network users to login" item under Users & Groups so have not been able to try to disable that yet.

Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks

Running Mavericks by the way

fadbad

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
This is what fixed it for me after uninstalling [server app]

1) Open Terminal.

2) Type:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool FALSE

3) Log out to check if you did it correctly

*If you want to bring back “Other”, replace FALSE with TRUE

rauz

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007

1) Open Terminal.

2) Type:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWOTHERUSERS_MANAGED -bool FALSE

This worked for me! The reason I had the "Others" button was because I have created a user just for logging in thru FTP and it (purposely, by me) hidden so that I didn't see it went I went to login the usual way.

Hiding a user can be done several ways but I did it through Sharing->right click the user->Advanced settings.

florence8

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2016
The Netherlands

1) Open Terminal.

2) Type:

Thanks! I see this is an old post, but I am verry happy I found it. I was looking for this for weeks! Even the Dutch Apple helpdesk wasn't able to help me with this. Finally I got rid of other user!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.