Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Is there a way to rename the favorites I have in finder without renaming the folder itself? The folder names make sense in their folder organization context, but the ones I have in Favorites could use a slightly enhanced name so I remember which folder it is. I don't think this is possible, but I wanted to ask...thanks!

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I don't believe that is possible. But in experimenting with it, I discovered a bug. I made a folder called "test" in my Downloads folder and then dragged it to the sidebar in a Finder window to make it a favorite. I then right-clicked on "test" in the sidebar and then clicked on "rename 'test'" and renamed it "test2." However, the name doesn't change in the sidebar, only in Finder. If you right-click "test" in the sidebar again and start to rename it again, the edit field shows "test2" but once you click off of it, it returns to just showing "test."

Here is a video showing this:

Last edited:
Reactions: donawalt

gspbnto

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2023
I don't believe that is possible. But in experimenting with it, I discovered a bug. I made a folder called "test" in my Downloads folder and then dragged it to the sidebar in a Finder window to make it a favorite. I then right-clicked on "test" in the sidebar and then clicked on "rename 'test'" and renamed it "test2." However, the name doesn't change in the sidebar, only in Finder. If you right-click "test" in the sidebar again and start to rename it again, the edit field shows "test2" but once you click off of it, it returns to just showing "test."

Here is a video showing this:

Has there been any fix to this? I’m dealing with the same issue.

rachalmers

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
UK
Hi, I'm discovering here that the ability to Rename a folder in Favourites appears to have been removed now.
I'm on an M2 Mac Mini, the latest OS, and no way can I rename something in Favourites.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Well, then the solution is a little "reverse engineering". Name the folder in Finder what is desired for showing in the Sidebar. Then go to the Sidebar and "rename" the folder to what is desired in Finder. If I'm understanding the above, that yields the different names where desired.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Hi, I'm discovering here that the ability to Rename a folder in Favourites appears to have been removed now.
I'm on an M2 Mac Mini, the latest OS, and no way can I rename something in Favourites.
I can still rename folders Favorites–not System folders like Desktop or Documents, but folders I created.

c00lkatz

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2024
Think I figured out a workaround to have a custom name in the sidebar but not change the actual folder/filename:

- Create an alias/shortcut of the folder you want to add to sidebar. You can place it anywhere, but I opted to have it in the same parent directory as the original folder.

- Rename the alias/shortcut to whatever you want.

- Add the alias/shortcut to the sidebar.

Original folder remains the same and sidebar shows whatever name you want, still goes to the same place. Only downside is now you have an extra alias/shortcut sitting in the folder (or wherever you created it), but probably won't usually see it. You could make another folder specifically for keeping these aliases if you wanted to be more organized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.