Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Well, I picked up a Bondi Blue iMac G3 a few days back, but unfortunately, it's having CRT issues.
Every now and then, it distorts the image across a horizontal line at a random spot on the monitor. It does this while slightly dimming the display for less than a second, before going back to normal.
Now, this is most likely a flyback transformer issue, as these are known for that.
I could part this machine out, but I really, really don't want to.
I'm comfortable enough to discharge the CRT, digging into the Mac might be a bit nerve wrecking though.
My question is, can I still find a replacement for the flyback transformer? I found a guide on how to replace it, but I can't really find whether flybacks are mostly universal, or very specific.
If they are specific, where would I find a suitable replacement?

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
They are quite specific. Which iMac G3 do you have. Even within the two styles ('Tray Load' and 'Slot Load'), there are still different types.

The Slot Loaders have many other issues with cracked solder joints on the Analog/Power board, which might emulate these symptoms.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
I mentioned Bondi Blue, which is a colour specific to the trayloading 233MHz model. Mine is revision B.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Sorry, my bad. Read your post too quickly.

Can you confirm on the label on the flyback which model you have? It should read something like "6174Z 1003G"

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
I haven't cracked it open yet, so I'll have to check that out later. Still a bit anxious about digging in, I really need to take the time for it I think. Shall update as soon as I know.
I did look around for that part, cheapest I can find is €46 shipped from the UK.

Reactions: MacTech68

Muz_

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2023
Hi there just wondering where did you find that flyback? I have been looking and can find any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.