Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndersHP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Hi all.

I own a Primo 2011 13" Macbook Pro (A1278 / MC700LL/A), and after upgrading the HDD to SDD this machine still runs like it's new (OS is El Capitan v.10.11.1), much more stable and fast than my all-new Lenovo Windows laptop.

My charger however has a faulty wire, so I was thinking about getting an original bulk one, like this https://www.computersalg.dk/i/3305087/apple-magsafe-power-adapter-60w. Bulk just means "not original packaging", right?

Anyways, the battery keeps dying on me whilst in standby mode, it just doesn't seem like it's holding power the way it used to, so I was in the process of finding a replacement.

BUT! "About this Mac" says the battery is normal, and it's only been through 495 cycles.
Would it be dumb to replace the battery then? The capacity is listed to be 4684 mAh, which I guess once were 4800 mAh, and that doesn't seem so bad?

Could the disability to hold power standby for more than a couple of days be due to some other problem?

On the other hand, this machine is 7 years, so I guess the battery should be kind of worn?

AndersHP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
By the way, just checked the hibernate mode, it's set to 3 (default for laptops)

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Try the program Coconut Battery. It should also give you readings on the battery. Personally, I think 7 years is a long time for a battery to last. You should be able to find replacements on eBay or maybe Amazon, and ifixit should have a guide on how to replace it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
First, download the free "Coconut Battery" app that gives you info on battery health.
Post a screenshot here.

I wouldn't buy a "cheap charger". The internal components aren't the same.
Get a decent (not cheap) charger.

Same with the battery, if you decide to replace it.
There are plenty of cheap ones out there, but they won't last long or give much running time.
Spend a little more for what will [hopefully] be a better one.

AndersHP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
OK, coconut shows this:

40594909031_94b5fe5e26.jpg

With regards to the charger; it's supposed to be an original Mac charger, but just BULK, isn't this just the original charger in a non-original box?

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
You've lost about 20% of the capacity. Those readings may not seem too bad, but consider that my iPhone 6s returned a reading of 89% capacity, but my battery would not come close to making it through a day. After a new battery, a day was easy to achieve. I think capacity is one thing, but it's as though there's another health factor at play that we don't get readings from. I think age is the key, and an almost 7 year old battery probably can't hold that charge like it used to. It sure seems like it's due for replacement.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I respectfully disagree with what Darmok wrote in reply 6 above.

82% of original capacity is still "good enough" for now.
No need to replace it yet unless you feel like spending the money.
The only downside to keeping it is it will require more frequent charging.

You do need a good charger, however.

AndersHP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I used FruitJuice to manage battery health. On some occasions, by following its schedule, my battery health improved a bit (88% back to 91-92%).

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I guess around 2,5 hours, and maybe 3 days on standby.

Regarding the charger: I believe the link I posted IS an original charger, just bulk.. can anyone confirm this? It's got a modelnumber, apple on the side and all?

EDIT: The link died, here's a new one: https://www.superprice.dk/original_macbook_oplader_til_apple_macbook_13_60w_bulk.htm
I searched for that part number, MC461Z/A, and it does appear to be an Apple MagSafe charger. For some reason, reviews for it on Apple’s website aren’t very favorable (1.5 out of 5). Not sure why that is, but it does look like it was made by Apple. You could email the seller and confirm what they mean by “bulk,” but I’m guessing it’s just the charger only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.