Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's decision to allow game emulators on the App Store, several popular emulators like Delta have now launched for iPhone and iPad. RetroArch is the latest emulator to come to the App Store, allowing gamers to play games from a wide range of systems.

retroarch-iphone.jpg

RetroArch supports multiple versions of Atari and Commodore systems, as well as the Nintendo DS, Game Boy, NES, SNES, and Virtual Boy. Multiple Sega and Sony systems are also included, as are the NEC PC Engine and Neo Geo Pocket.

RetroArch is free to download, has no ads, and is open source. It supports save states, cheats, custom overlays, fast forward and rewind, AI translations, and RetroAchievements. RetroAchievements adds trophies to all manner of classic games, providing incentives to unlock new content and top leaderboards.

RetroArch is fairly well-known because it was previously available on PC and Mac, it just was not able to be released for iOS devices until Apple's rule change. RetroArch is also the first console emulator that works on the Apple TV, allowing games to be played with an MFi controller on a larger screen.

RetroArch can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: RetroArch iOS and tvOS Emulator for Atari, Commodore, Nintendo, Sega and Sony Games Now Available

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
really they’ve just been scared mobile game devs can’t compete with free 3 decade old games that the ip holders don’t even sell anymore

given the quality of most mobile games i’d say they’re super duper right about that
Problem with modern gaming is that in the past to make money you had to make a good game people would want to buy, now it’s just how can we make a cheap game that makes people want to buy micro-transactions over and over. Also back then they had to ship a complete working game

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
How do I get my ROMs into my Apple TV,
You load them from the web. From your iPhone, iPad, Computer, visit a "appletvname.local" ish address, and upload your ROM files.

From the RetroArch website:
RetroArch on tvOS has a built-in web server. While RetroArch is running, open a browser on your computer and open the URL that RetroArch displays. You can use the web-based UI to create subdirectories and upload or download files.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
This is huge....I'm so happy I got a backbone one. Now in addition to PS Remote and Xbox Remote (from my console) I get access to old classic games!

Reactions: Delivered

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You load them from the web. From your iPhone, iPad, Computer, visit a "appletvname.local" ish address, and upload your ROM files.

From the RetroArch website:
RetroArch on tvOS has a built-in web server. While RetroArch is running, open a browser on your computer and open the URL that RetroArch displays. You can use the web-based UI to create subdirectories and upload or download files.

Hmm, I probably need to replace the AppleTV as well.

Even my Infuse metadata keeps getting deleted on my AppleTV 4K (32GB iirc) due to running out of space. Wouldn't want that to happen to my ROMs/save states.

scorpio vega

Suspended
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
How does Nintendo allow this? They are so protective of their content. Is this actually legal?

Yes. Because you are only playing copies of games you already own. It's like making a backup of your legally owned product.

No it isn’t legal. 98 percent of the ppl using emulators are doing so illegally. Quite sad really.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
No it isn’t legal. 98 percent of the ppl using emulators are doing so illegally. Quite sad really.
If Nintendo, and Sony would just sell the roms, people would buy them. Not everyone, more some would. And it wouldn't cost them anything to do so. They could even create a legit emulator, for their system. Sell it and roms they only work with it, and make a lot of money.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
If Nintendo, and Sony would just sell the roms, people would buy them. Not everyone, more some would. And it wouldn't cost them anything to do so. They could even create a legit emulator, for their system. Sell it and roms they only work with it, and make a lot of money.

even funnier is they would likely “steal” the online rom collections and emulators to sell back to us

i believe nintendo actually did something like this with their virtual switch collection thing

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If Nintendo, and Sony would just sell the roms, people would buy them. Not everyone, more some would. And it wouldn't cost them anything to do so.

They sorta do.

I rebought a bunch of my old PSX games on the PS3. Not sure what's available on the PS5.

As for Nintendo, not sure if you can purchase the games but you get access to some old classics via their subscription service for the Switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.