Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MonsterBryton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
California
I recently returned my 12.9 inch due to blooming. I just couldn’t unsee it, I loved The iPad and the size.
I know that blooming is normal, but if that is normal, I don’t want it. 1499 is a lot for a device and to see blooming on almost every YouTube video is not okay. I wasnt also going to risk missing the 14 day return window waiting for Apple to release a software update that helps etc.

Did anyone else return theirs?

pugxiwawa

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
No display benefits other than In HDR movies.
Actually the improvement in contrast ratio in regular day-to-day usage (non-video) is pretty noticeable.

I’m returning mine and keep 2018 but if I have money to burn it’s definitely a really nice upgrade.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I almost didn't buy the 12.9 beczause of all the blooming talk. Glad I judged it with my own eyes (which saw little to no blooming in normal conditions (i.e., not turning it to 100 percent brightness in a dark room). Blooming must be subjective to each person.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I almost didn't buy the 12.9 beczause of all the blooming talk. Glad I judged it with my own eyes (which saw little to no blooming in normal conditions (i.e., not turning it to 100 percent brightness in a dark room). Blooming must be subjective to each person.
As it is with so many things. Some things people will look at and it will drive them nuts (me), others will look at the same and ask what are you talking about (my wife).

killramos

macrumors member
May 8, 2008
I find it entertaining when people complain about blooming, and instead turn to a device where the whole screen blooms.

Sincerely, someone who owns neither type of pro and finds the whining funny

MrEcted

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
I find it entertaining when people complain about blooming, and instead turn to a device where the whole screen blooms.

Sincerely, someone who owns neither type of pro and finds the whining funny

Full screen "blooming" is less annoying because the screen is uniform. It's more distracting when only specific elements on a screen show this because it seems like your eyes are messed up or something.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
I’ve spotted blooming in certain cases, but they are rare enough to not be an issue for me. Apple mentioned that the LEDs are controlled separately from the screen via algorithms. I am expecting this will be a software issue that gets resolved. But I see it so rarely I don’t get bothered.

All that said. You do you. Never keep anything you aren’t happy with. Money is hard earned.

Reactions: gotong and ericwn

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
Would have done the same thing. Everybody has standards for their money. $1500 is a certain amount to spend for a toy that has flaws.

twarburg

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
I have also returned mine bc of the blooming.. just cant unsee it.

Ordred the 11” instead.. would much rather have ips glow and backlight bleed to save some money to be honest

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
What is "blooming"?

E: I looked it up. It's faulty I'd say. Should be a warrantee matter.

Last edited:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
What is "blooming"?

E: I looked it up. It's faulty I'd say. Should be a warrantee matter.
It's not a fault, it's present because of the type of display technology used. It will bother some and others won't care or won't see it.

Every technology has its compromises - this is why you have to consider what you need the device to do thus deciding what to buy and what compromises you can live with. Thankfuly Apple have plenty of options right now.

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
It's not a fault, it's present because of the type of display technology used. It will bother some and others won't care or won't see it.

Every technology has its compromises - this is why you have to consider what you need the device to do thus deciding what to buy and what compromises you can live with. Thankfuly Apple have plenty of options right now.

Ok, well then it's a bit over priced :)
I'll wait for OLED iPad next year. Nothing beats OLED on these kind of devices. Even Apple knows that.

Reactions: cardfan

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
Blooming doesn’t bother me, the colors are just fantastic… it’s the damn battery life that is frustrating.. I’ll be keeping it though.

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
I see no blooming or shadows. Maybe my eyesight is bad.

I may need vitamins. Vitamin E, or maybe A

Last edited:

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Keeping mine. No concern or issue. This blooming thing is IMHO blown out of all proportion by some very vocal people.

That said, if you don’t like something, return it. For everyone else who are on the fence about buying: try it and don’t assume it’s bad just because some folk said it was a showstopper. If it doesn’t work for you then you too can return it.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I recently returned my 12.9 inch due to blooming. I just couldn’t unsee it, I loved The iPad and the size.
I know that blooming is normal, but if that is normal, I don’t want it. 1499 is a lot for a device and to see blooming on almost every YouTube video is not okay. I wasnt also going to risk missing the 14 day return window waiting for Apple to release a software update that helps etc.

Did anyone else return theirs?
Folks, you asked for Mini-LED and got Mini-LED. This is what you've asked for. Enjoy the side effects.

• Haha
Reactions: gotong

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Keeping mine. No concern or issue. This blooming thing is IMHO blown out of all proportion by some very vocal people.

That said, if you don’t like something, return it. For everyone else who are on the fence about buying: try it and don’t assume it’s bad just because some folk said it was a showstopper. If it doesn’t work for you then you too can return it.

Yep, this. At least in countries where there are good return policies. I realize returning is not an option for some.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Folks, you asked for Mini-LED and got Mini-LED. This is what you've asked for. Enjoy the side effects.
Tbf, majority wanted OLED instead of Mini-LED. Me personally… I don’t have any major issues with Mini-LED. Only issue I came across with is LumaFusion… white is white. But it isn’t a cause for concern.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Tbf, majority wanted OLED instead of Mini-LED. Me personally… I don’t have any major issues with Mini-LED. Only issue I came across with is LumaFusion… white is white. But it isn’t a cause for concern.
The majority think they want OLED because that's is what the market has been pushing as the best display tech ever - ignoring PWM, off axis colour shift, overly warm yellows, burn in, heat etc.

Sure it's good because it is uses less power which has been good for mobile phones, because manufacturers keep cramming in more and more power draining features so need to reduce power consumption somewhere. And it's good for deep blacks when watching films. But I'll take the 5k imac LCD over everything right now.

Reactions: PennHunter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.