Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Was excited to go from X to 12 pro. Had it for a week and just couldn’t justify the cost vs. Value. Here is why?

1. It is expensive than 12 - even after comparing 128gb because on pro you pay more tax and apple care is $50 more expensive
2. Screen width is less comfortable than X - cannot use one hand which makes me go for mini. If I have to use both hands than Max is better
3. Screen is really not that different vs. X or 12.
4. Very hard to see difference of third camera - I take very night pictures
5. Most importantly, I have 100s of pictures in my camera roll and the only ones that I view it again are the ones with people in it, particularly selfies with family. Front facing camera is no different in pro vs. Others - I really hope apple improves the front facing camera.
6. In times of COVID when people are loosing jobs, should I really spend $1900 on phone - just because I can afford it. Can I save money and perhaps help others.

Overall, I just couldn’t see the same excitement I had when I purchased X. AWAITING FOR MINI.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
I’m really on the fence about doing the same thing. I love a lot of things about the 12 Pro, but it’s just big and heavy enough to make one-handed use pretty uncomfortable for me.

I know the Mini would be more comfortable but I can’t decide if the trade-off in battery life, camera, and RAM will be worth it.

It sucks to have to make a decision before being able to compare them side by side.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Was excited to go from X to 12 pro. Had it for a week and just couldn’t justify the cost vs. Value. Here is why?

1. It is expensive than 12 - even after comparing 128gb because on pro you pay more tax and apple care is $50 more expensive
2. Screen width is less comfortable than X - cannot use one hand which makes me go for mini. If I have to use both hands than Max is better
5. Most importantly, I have 100s of pictures in my camera roll and the only ones that I view it again are the ones with people in it, particularly selfies with family. Front facing camera is no different in pro vs. Others - I really hope apple improves the front facing camera.
6. In times of COVID when people are loosing jobs, should I really spend $1900 on phone - just because I can afford it. Can I save money and perhaps help others.

Overall, I just couldn’t see the same excitement I had when I purchased X. AWAITING FOR MINI.
If you help others with some of money you save, that's noble of you.

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
I'm kind of thinking the same thing and am tempted to swap my iPhone 12 Pro for a iPhone 12 Mini.

I upgraded from an iPhone XS and it's nice but it does not seem like that big of an upgrade going to the 12 Pro. The iPhone 12 Mini though seems like a major change in direction. All these phones are getting bigger and bigger and it's nice to have a fully spec'd iPhone with a smaller screen. It's smaller than my old iPhone 6s while at the same time having a larger screen.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Meanwhile people are still waiting for Pros they actually want and you can‘t be bothered to get your story straight before you buy one and then waste resources returning it. It won’t be long before Apple imposes a restocking fee thanks to people like you. Not impressed.

prestigetone

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Meanwhile people are still waiting for Pros they actually want and you can‘t be bothered to get your story straight before you buy one and then waste resources returning it. It won’t be long before Apple imposes a restocking fee thanks to people like you. Not impressed.
What???? We are in the middle of a pandemic, some people can't or don't feel comfortable going to the store, and you are giving this guy grief. A LOT of people including myself got the phone and then didn't realize how it would feel in hand. I did a ton of thinking on things and thought the 12 would be perfect, but the size is a consideration for the mini. Not impressed with your attitude.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Tesla has a 7 day return policy as well. I am amazed Apple and Tesla have such customer oriented policy.
Apparently, it helps boost confidence in their products.

Reactions: DevinNj

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
The simple answer is to wait and buy the 12 Pro and Mini on November 6. That way you can try both phones for two weeks and keep that one that works for you.
Personally the 12 Pro is the smallest screen I’d ever use but I realize that everyone is different. Good luck.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
He tried it out, didn't like it, and is returning it. He was excited for it and upgraded from the equivalent model three years ago before finding it didn't work for him. He's precisely the person the return policy is for.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Tesla has a 7 day return policy as well. I am amazed Apple and Tesla have such customer oriented policy.
Apparently, it helps boost confidence in their products.
Not to get off topic but I love all of my Tesla’s especially the Model Y Performance. I can’t understand anyone buying a gas car in 2020-21.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Not to get off topic but I love all of my Tesla’s especially the Model Y Performance. I can’t understand anyone buying a gas car in 2020-21.
When they can make a Tesla that has a 600 mile range or more, with a heat resistant battery that doesn’t suffer degradation of up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, make it look as good as the model 3 or better, and sell it for 30k then I’m a buyer

Last edited:

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012

Even with tax rebates you still pay more for an electric car than the savings in gas.

Also Tesla's and cars like that might be the future but the future still has a bit of work to do. I'm seeing reviews of bad Tesla build quality (back door won't open for example). Also they put all of the controls in the center giant display and lots of critics have pointed out that physical buttons in some cases are still better. I like the Model Y though but am not buying one anytime soon.

Reactions: klasma

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California

I hope you find the validation that you’re obviously looking for here.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
What???? We are in the middle of a pandemic, some people can't or don't feel comfortable going to the store, and you are giving this guy grief. A LOT of people including myself got the phone and then didn't realize how it would feel in hand. I did a ton of thinking on things and thought the 12 would be perfect, but the size is a consideration for the mini. Not impressed with your attitude.
Who are you?

• Haha
Reactions: Seanm87

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
What are you, salty because you don’t have yours yet? Shoulda got outta bed earlier on 10.16. Apples return policy cover dissatisfaction for *any* reason, so buying a phone then deciding maybe it’s not for you after all is absolutely on the up and up. Buying with intent to return before hand would be another story, but that isn’t what’s going on here.

Chill out and wake up earlier next time.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
What are you, salty because you don’t have yours yet? Shoulda got outta bed earlier on 10.16. Apples return policy cover dissatisfaction for *any* reason, so buying a phone then deciding maybe it’s not for you after all is absolutely on the up and up. Buying with intent to return before hand would be another story, but that isn’t what’s going on here.

Intent is not even up for discussion since there’s absolutely no way to prove that.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Intent is not even up for discussion since there’s absolutely no way to prove that.
Yes, stipulated. I’m just saying I can kind see the argument *in theory* when people purchase to rent. But yes, to your point, intent is not even part of Apples terms of purchase.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Man this thread went downhill fast! :D

All of your reasons are sound. Just wait for the mini or at least for reviewers to talk about the mini.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008

Typing on my 12 Pro.

Reactions: nepats81

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Come to Europe and you’ll quickly understand it. I just recently bought a Clio V RS 1.3 140cv with gasoline and ain’t going back. Electric cars are almost 2x expensive here and can only do 350km max on B level cars.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Come to Europe and you’ll quickly understand it. I just recently bought a Clio V RS 1.3 140cv with gasoline and ain’t going back. Electric cars are almost 2x expensive here and can only do 350km max on B level cars.
even with the supercharger network, road trips in a Tesla requires extra planning and becomes inconvenient. That's why we keep a gas car in the family.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I did not mean to derail this thread, but my point was battery anxiety between the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max. For my car I never drive 3o0+ miles in 1 day and there is always a supercharger nearby in the event that I need it.

My point was that this is similar to the iPhone in that am I rarely am without power for more than 2-3 hours in a typical day so the little difference in battery doesn’t matter 99% of the time. There are reasons to upgrade to the 12 Pro Max, but I don’t think battery life is one of them unless you really are a heavy user (and in that case) you’ll probably need a portable charger anyway especially if you use 5G.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I did not mean to derail this thread, but my point was battery anxiety between the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max. For my car I never drive 3o0+ miles in 1 day and there is always a supercharger nearby in the event that I need it.

My point was that this is similar to the iPhone in that am I rarely am without power for more than 2-3 hours in a typical day so the little difference in battery doesn’t matter 99% of the time. There are reasons to upgrade to the 12 Pro Max, but I don’t think battery life is one of them unless you really are a heavy user (and in that case) you’ll probably need a portable charger anyway especially if you use 5G.

That's a good point. And there's always external batteries if you want to go that route. I suppose though there's also the annoyance factor of just having to worry about battery life with the mini whereas you'd probably never need to worry about it for the Pro Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.