Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Okay, so far all Theory and Conjecture... and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I find it hard to beleive that there is not someone who uses this type of lens in a Creative, or Artistic way?
In MacRumors:Forums, we have "Forum Spy", so what is in a name? Cell phone cameras are far worse, or just as bad as we are making out this lens to be.

I knew someone who was an excellent semi-pro photographer when I was little, and he had one for his 35mm SLR. There's nothing 'creepy' about it.

Actually, I think his actually *was* a lens with the mirror integrated in it, and it attached directly to his (Nikon? Minolta?) camera body. The one you posted screws on like a filter, so I could conceivably use it with my G9 + filter mount + step-down ring. Hmmmm.

pirasec

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Hello, I am considering buying a Right Angle Mirror Lens, and would like some feedback from anyone who uses one, or why you don't use one? I am new to Digital SLR using Point and Shoot cameras the last 11 years or so. I like to record candid and unposed photographs, and I think this type of lens would help a lot. I think it sells for under $50. Thanks!

"This Bower 37mm Right Angle Mirror Lens Attachment is a classic "deceptive angle" photographic device. It allows photographs to be taken at 90° right angles of the camera. This means you can keep the camera pointed straight ahead, while actually photographing subjects to your right or to your left. The attachment rotates 360°. Designed to be used on lenses with 37mm filter threads, or with bigger sizes with the use of step-up rings.

Great for candids, kids, or photo-shy people.

Note! This item is recommended for normal and longer focal length lenses only. can not be used with wide angle lenses."​

I see this is an old question/post, but I'm curious. Did you ever get that right angle?

Also I am a little concerned for MOST of the people who responded to your questions here. Are they "photographers"??? or what? Their responses like "creepy", and other general ignorance of the PROFOUND usefulness of a right angle viewer is incredible.

Ever heard of Helen Levitt? Look her up on the web. She died recently at the age of 95 or so. To call this woman "famous" would be quite an understatement. She used prisms/right angle viewers in her street photography. The use of this tool became an integral part of her approach/process on the street.

Anyway, look her up when you can...and if the kids here talked you out of finding an RAV I'd consider rekindling your effort in that direction if you are still interested.

Good luck.

pirasec

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
I knew someone who was an excellent semi-pro photographer when I was little, and he had one for his 35mm SLR. There's nothing 'creepy' about it.

Actually, I think his actually *was* a lens with the mirror integrated in it, and it attached directly to his (Nikon? Minolta?) camera body. The one you posted screws on like a filter, so I could conceivably use it with my G9 + filter mount + step-down ring. Hmmmm.

You seem to have the most reasonable reply here. Good to see.

pirasec

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
You will get better photos if you stop and talk to the people you photograph and ask first if you can take their picture. Then you take a dozen photos to get them used to the camera after that they relax.

Just the other day some tourist stopped a few of us at the beach and took some photos of me and my friend there. Almost everyone is like us will say "yes" and if not there are a few billion more people to ask.

Also, people aren't dumb and most know what a mirror is. Those mirror things that attach to SLRs are huge and call attention to themselves. The subject will be able to see the mirror. If you want an un-obtrusive camera the "standard" for the last half century has been the Leica M. but today something like a Canon G9 might work as well.

I suspect more of these things are sold than used. Many photographers are suckers for gadgets. Many of them thing "I could take some great photos if only I had..." It thid case even if not for the ethical and technical problems it's just not going to give good results. Go to the library and check out some big picture books with old photos from Time, Life or the like. Studying these and tryng to emulate them is the way to improve your work, not by buying one of these mirrors. The proof is that NONE of the photos you see any any of those books was made with a mirror. THose mirrors are sold to "suckers" right next to the cheap $45 500mm f/8 lens and other junk that just does not work. I've seen them being sold back in the 70's but have never seen one case where a good photo was taken with one

Look up Helen Levitt. Was she a sucker?

pirasec

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2009
Yeah, this is the way to go. I call it 'candid with permission'...

The store that sells these mirror things may stock other fun stuff, like itching powder, black-face soap and infra-red glasses that lets you see right through people's clothes... :rolleyes:

Ya gave some terrible knee jerk advice here. But at least that bit about itching powder/black-face soap/etc. was hilarious. Brilliant really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.