Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Does anyone have a shortcut where you can set a specific ringtone volume to be applied as soon as you leave a specific location? Can this be done?

Lets say i have the ringer at 50% when at home and when i leave home i want it to go up to 80% and then go back to 50 when i return home.

Thanks.

Reactions: ignatius345

vbmike73

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2008
I'm looking for this same capability. I want my ringer volume to automatically set to max at a specific time. From what I'm reading, Shortcuts does not currently allow it. However, I did come across something saying it's possible. But I need someone smarter than me to tell me if it's legit or not. I'm not familiar with APIs and I wasn't sure by looking at this link how to actually implement it. https://github.com/GenjiApp/RingerVolume

Any thoughts?

Reactions: AntonisCy

AntonisCy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
I'm looking for this same capability. I want my ringer volume to automatically set to max at a specific time. From what I'm reading, Shortcuts does not currently allow it. However, I did come across something saying it's possible. But I need someone smarter than me to tell me if it's legit or not. I'm not familiar with APIs and I wasn't sure by looking at this link how to actually implement it. https://github.com/GenjiApp/RingerVolume

Any thoughts?

Let me know how it goes

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010

Any thoughts?

Let me know how it goes
This looks like an iOS app either for devs or to be sideloaded 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
iOS 16.2 is out and unfortunately setting the ringer volume with Siri Shortcuts is still NOT possible 😖🤬

sasi1212

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
I had the same requirement as @AntonisCy had.
Spent some on exploring Xcode, and installed a custom app for my iPhone and completed the automation as per my requirement.
Thanks to a random folk who has shared the source code of this app. https://github.com/GenjiApp/RingerVolume

Attachments

• IMG_0226.PNG
    IMG_0226.PNG
    53.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0228.PNG
    IMG_0228.PNG
    110.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0227.PNG
    IMG_0227.PNG
    208.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0229.PNG
    IMG_0229.PNG
    194 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    287.8 KB · Views: 225

sasi1212

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
Neither of both is possible. I don't have an Apple Developer Program.
One can load the GitHub code in Xcode like I did and install the app for your Apple devices.

Reactions: AntonisCy

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Neither of both is possible. I don't have an Apple Developer Program.
One can load the GitHub code in Xcode like I did and install the app for your Apple devices.
I'm about to attempt this now. The tricky part is running a macOS VM on a Windows machine.
How do you side load the app to your iPhone? Does it need to be physically connected to the computer?

sasi1212

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
YouTube tutorials are there to run MacOS on windows. Go with VMware workstation. Yes app is installed and shortcuts automation is also configured. Phone must be connected to your computer/laptop. VMware will ask whether the phone to be connected to a VM if any VM is running. That time select the phone to be connected to your MacOS VM.

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
YouTube tutorials are there to run MacOS on windows. Go with VMware workstation. Yes app is installed and shortcuts automation is also configured. Phone must be connected to your computer/laptop. VMware will ask whether the phone to be connected to a VM if any VM is running. That time select the phone to be connected to your MacOS VM.
I got as far as running the app but I’m running Xcode 12 which means it officially only supports phones with up to iOS 14.something and I’m running iPhone 14 pro max with iOS 16.2.

Do you know where I can get “device support” files for iOS 16.2? I found 16.1 files and below but not 16.2 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
I can copy these files to Xcode without upgrading Xcode, but I’m struggling to find these “iOS 16.2” files.

sasi1212

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
I don't think you can add latest support files to old Xcode. I used latest Xcode to avoid such incompatibility issues. You do not need to upgrade iOS. Just download latest Xcode and launch it through Terminal app.

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
I don't think you can add latest support files to old Xcode. I used latest Xcode to avoid such incompatibility issues. You do not need to upgrade iOS. Just download latest Xcode and launch it through Terminal app.
I'm running macOS 10.16, and downloaded Xcode 14.2, which supports iOS 16.2. What command in Terminal did you use to open Xcode?

sasi1212

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
Drag and drop the downloaded Xcode (not the Zipped version but the extracted one) into Terminal and hit enter.

zYxMa

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Drag and drop the downloaded Xcode (not the Zipped version but the extracted one) into Terminal and hit enter.
Yeah, that wouldn't work for me :( The terminal was throwing some useless errors.
But I got hold of a Mac Book and managed to install it on my phone now 👍🏽

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.