Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Any closing prices are basically just going to be what you can get at B and H, Amazon, KEH and others on an everyday basis.

Ritz has always been obscenely overpriced, geared to those who don't know that there are better deals out there.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I don't know about you guys, but Ritz has never had good sales. I Rebel XSi + kit lens was like $900, all the L lenses were at least 30-40% more than B&H or Amazon...

Even now with the liquidation sales they're still more expensive. I'm sorry, but a 70-200 f/2.8 IS for $1800 on 'clearance' is NOT a good deal.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I don't know about you guys, but Ritz has never had good sales. I Rebel XSi + kit lens was like $900, all the L lenses were at least 30-40% more than B&H or Amazon...

Even now with the liquidation sales they're still more expensive. I'm sorry, but a 70-200 f/2.8 IS for $1800 on 'clearance' is NOT a good deal.

Unless you've been in the store and seen for yourself - please stop spreading your FUD....

Another good deal that they had was an Olympus E-410 with the 2 lens kit for $310... New in Box..

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
Ritz has been around since I was a boy and I ain't no spring chicken. I've seen many of the mighty stores close over the years. Video killed the radio man.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Wow, I just noticed this thread.

I am about to buy a camera from Wolf Camera in Vernon Hills, great staff, and I was wondering about the warranty they offer. So you guys say it is really offered by a third party insurance company?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia

Not sure what you have seen or been doing.... but the $1800 price for the 70-200/2.8 IS is right in line as of today on B&H...

Just because a store is closing does not mean bottom feeders get their pick. :)

Freewayjim

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Metro Atlanta
Good riddance. They charge 30% or more over reasonable retailers and kill local camera stores. I hope they don't get protection and have to file chapter 11.

Ritz/Wolf/Kits is probably my least favorite store in the world, bar none.

+1 to that, plus I found many of their associates to be quite arrogant and condescending and that's not just one store but stauts quo for the Atlanta Area.

The Buckhead store on Piedmont is by far the worst, which is too bad considering that it is supposedly the flagship store for the city.

They sure know more about Cameras than they do Camcorders, I got better insight at Fry's & Best Buy when shopping for a Camcorder last month.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I think they're done closing stores for now. We'll see how it goes from here on out.

Found a great place online to buy cameras cheaper (or refurbished) for less and no tax and free shipping anyways...

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I think they're done closing stores for now. We'll see how it goes from here on out.

Found a great place online to buy cameras cheaper (or refurbished) for less and no tax and free shipping anyways...

And that magical place would be ...? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.