Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malizivko

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2012
I need to get router that will work with:
- Philips Hue Hub
- Sengled Light Hub

I have TMO-G4AR modem with two LAN Ethernet Ports, which are used by Philips Hue Hub and Sengled Light Hub. However I need at least one more Ethernet Port (total of 3) so I have purchased Links's MX4200 which is Homekit certified.

For what ever reason when I go through process of connecting Router to Homekit, its stuck in "Updating" which means my Lights are stuck in No Response mode (both HUBS are connected via ethernet to the router).

Does someone has similar setup where they are using Router to connect Philips Hue Hub vie ethernet port? I even tried not to connect router via Homekit, still the same thing, all my lights are in No Response mode?

Attachments

• IMG_DE9CE7D6DC88-1.jpeg
    IMG_DE9CE7D6DC88-1.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5599.jpg
    IMG_5599.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 17

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You could’ve have just gotten a cheap unmanaged switch instead of a whole new router to expand your Ethernet ports.

I’ve used eero and now Ubiquiti Unifi and haven’t had any issues connecting with Philips Hue.

Reactions: kitKAC and dotme

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
As Itinj24 points out, a gigabit unmanaged switch is your best move here, not another router. You'll quite possibly end up in a confusing world of double-NAT and conflicting configs and, from what I can tell with quick searching, the TMO-G4AR doesn't seem to support Bridge mode.

If possible, I would suggest returning the MX4200 (assuming your existing WiFi coverage is good) and purchase an 8 port gigabit switch instead. It will greatly simplify troubleshooting and give you the ethernet port expansion you're looking for. If you're seeking a recommendation on a switch, I own several Linksys SE3008 units and I've been very happy with them - they're solid devices. $30 or thereabouts at Amazon currently.

Reactions: Itinj24 and haralds
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.