Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have noticed that since 13.4.1 My Mac Studio has been running about 3° to 4° C cooler than before the update. I am not using it any differently. Has anyone else noticed this?

Reactions: CoMoMacUser

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I have the same model as you and haven't noticed a difference. It was ice cold from day one and still is, to the point that I've never felt the need to install a temp app to monitor. But now I'm curious. Which one do you use?

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have the same model as you and haven't noticed a difference. It was ice cold from day one and still is, to the point that I've never felt the need to install a temp app to monitor. But now I'm curious. Which one do you use?
iStat is the one I use. Being a ham radio operator I have a thing about instrumentation. So naturally I want to be able to see all of the sensors this Mac Studio has. One interesting thing I just noticed is it is also reporting the temperature of the external 4TB Samsung SSD I have installed. I originally got into the temperature game with high powered AMD processors I used the 200 Watt AMD FX-9590, it was an 8 core 4.7GHz CPU. I ran a liquid cooler on it to keep its temperature down. This MS has far more sensors the any of the AMD/ASUS PC's I assembled over the years.

Current status.

Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 19.24.01.png

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Being a ham radio operator I have a thing about instrumentation.
Me too but computer temperature isn’t anything I really care about.

A clean signal is far more important to me (looks lovingly at LP-700 station monitor) :)

73 et gd dx om.

/edit - I bet there’s a fair few of us on here and we don’t know it. The Studio is a great computer to have attached to the radio.

Last edited:
  • Love

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I bet there’s a fair few of us on here and we don’t know it. The Studio is a great computer to have attached to the radio.
You're probably right. Maybe we should start a subforum about Macs for hamming, such as software for logging, controlling rigs, etc. That kind of discussion gets lost on QRZ and eHam.

Reactions: transmaster

elfamosisimoJON

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2019
iStat is the one I use. Being a ham radio operator I have a thing about instrumentation. So naturally I want to be able to see all of the sensors this Mac Studio has. One interesting thing I just noticed is it is also reporting the temperature of the external 4TB Samsung SSD I have installed. I originally got into the temperature game with high powered AMD processors I used the 200 Watt AMD FX-9590, it was an 8 core 4.7GHz CPU. I ran a liquid cooler on it to keep its temperature down. This MS has far more sensors the any of the AMD/ASUS PC's I assembled over the years.

Current status.

View attachment 2230003
but where is the samsung SDD showing in the istat menu? the one showing is the internal.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
but where is the samsung SDD showing in the istat menu? the one showing is the internal.
I see what you mean. What fooled me was elsewhere in the iStat utility the internal SSD is called Macintosh HD. you notice the Ken's drive is reporting its internal capacity, it is connected via a Thunderbolt cable, and is formated APFS, the Seagate is in xFAT and the Sandisk flash drive is Mac OS Extended. The Sandisk was formatted in FAT32, I formatted it to mount it I thought it had used APFS but I see the Mac used HFS+ instead.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 10.49.17.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 10.49.17.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.