Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dh1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2023
Hi Guys Ryan London or Nomad looking at Tan colour which is the best to go with not interested in bull strap? 😊

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Different cases, but both are high quality and long lasting.

I’ve got both, albeit in varying colours so any questions feel free to ask…

One thing to note, the tan nomad case is a full grain leather where as the horween one they sell is a step above in terms of quality and developing patina.

If I was only choosing between them, Ryan London wins for comfort and thicker leather. Plus I find their cases more comfortable in hand.

Last edited:

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
Different cases, but both are high quality and long lasting.

I’ve got both, albeit in varying colours so any questions feel free to ask…

One thing to note, the tan nomad case is a full grain leather where as the horween one they sell is a step above in terms of quality and developing patina.

If I was only choosing between them, Ryan London wins for comfort and thicker leather. Plus I find their cases more comfortable in hand.
Which Ryan London case do you have?
How are the buttons? I got the Ryan London case a couple of days ago and found the buttons to be a bit stuff.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Which Ryan London case do you have?
How are the buttons? I got the Ryan London case a couple of days ago and found the buttons to be a bit stuff.

I’ve got the closed bottom and the open bottom from Ryan London. I don’t find the buttons stiff, but if they are they’ll likely get better as the leather wears in.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
I’ve got the closed bottom and the open bottom from Ryan London. I don’t find the buttons stiff, but if they are they’ll likely get better as the leather wears in.
Do you use the Ryan London case or is it a spare?

Brent0n

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2023
RL for sure.
I love mine, however it took a gnarly drop on concrete a month ago and has a massive gash in the corner.
I know you said you didn’t like bullstrap but that warranty is appealing if you drop your stuff.

Go for open bottom.

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
RL for sure.
I love mine, however it took a gnarly drop on concrete a month ago and has a massive gash in the corner.
I know you said you didn’t like bullstrap but that warranty is appealing if you drop your stuff.

Go for open bottom.
Don't you mean go for closed bottom?

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Do you use the Ryan London case or is it a spare?

I’m using their saddle brown daily now, was using the Keyway case mostly but think I’ve settled on the Ryan London to be honest now (closed bottom version).

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2017
I’m using their saddle brown daily now, was using the Keyway case mostly but think I’ve settled on the Ryan London to be honest now (closed bottom version).
The annoying thing about the case is that only certain USB cables can fit, for example my Nomad Rugged USB cable does not fit with small sized port cut outs.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
The annoying thing about the case is that only certain USB cables can fit, for example my Nomad Rugged USB cable does not fit with small sized port cut outs.

Get yourself a wireless charger and then the port size becomes irrelevant

Maz39

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2021
The fit on Nomad cases are very hit or miss because the edges are rubber/tpu, and sometimes have warped sides.

Reactions: RRC

damo.74

macrumors member
May 22, 2020
I've got the Nomad Horween in Black and also in Rustic Brown and I've just got the Nomad ECO Leather in English Tan. It's without doubt, the best-looking case I've seen on an iPhone. I'm a fan of the TPU bumpers as they serve their purpose if you are unlucky enough to drop your phone, and the black TPU complements the English Tan really well in my opinion.
The patina from the ECO Leather is less dramatic then the Horween, but after 5 weeks of using it, the Patina is coming along nicely.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I've got the Nomad Horween in Black and also in Rustic Brown and I've just got the Nomad ECO Leather in English Tan. It's without doubt, the best-looking case I've seen on an iPhone. I'm a fan of the TPU bumpers as they serve their purpose if you are unlucky enough to drop your phone, and the black TPU complements the English Tan really well in my opinion.
The patina from the ECO Leather is less dramatic then the Horween, but after 5 weeks of using it, the Patina is coming along nicely.

Do you not find the bottom to be uncomfortable when resting your fingers on it for extended use? I returned my nomad case as it just wasn’t comfy to use.

MM301

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2020
Do you not find the bottom to be uncomfortable when resting your fingers on it for extended use? I returned my nomad case as it just wasn’t comfy to use.
This is a big factor for me in liking a case, but I have no issues with the bottom cutout in terms of comfort. This is with regular Pro. Harder material to support the bottom but they’ve done a decent job at eliminating sharp edges.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The last Nomad I tried had more comfortable cutouts than the previous experience. They’ve definitely improved the comfort but the symmetrical cutouts and lanyard connection points will still bother some.

Since OP mentioned not wanting Bullstrap, it should be noted that Ryan London’s open bottom variant is essentially the same case with different leather. I don’t know what this year‘s variant is like, but the leather on my current Bullstrap is definitely thicker than last year‘s RL.

Maz39

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2021
The last Nomad I tried had more comfortable cutouts than the previous experience. They’ve definitely improved the comfort but the symmetrical cutouts and lanyard connection points will still bother some.

Since OP mentioned not wanting Bullstrap, it should be noted that Ryan London’s open bottom variant is essentially the same case with different leather. I don’t know what this year‘s variant is like, but the leather on my current Bullstrap is definitely thicker than last year‘s RL.
I have multiple Nomad Modern Leather Cases and I don’t find them to be too bad on my pinky. I definitely have had cases with sharper cutouts.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Bullstrap, Andar, Ryan London are all out for me, the AU conversion and postage costs kill them, and too much drama if get a bad one too return.
Nomad modern was near 40% off on Amazon Boxing Day sales. I prefer the tpu sides here in the heat/humidity and wet hands, 35c today 😀

damo.74

macrumors member
May 22, 2020
Never had any issues, I've had several and find them fine. Granted, they are heavier than the OEM Apple case, but I don't have any issues with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.