Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
So it looks like Apple is definitely aware of the issue and its present in Watch OS 7
Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 10.50.59 AM.png

Reactions: dribeiro

glicky63

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
Update! With fingers crossed I think it may be fixed. I got a walk-up appointment at an Apple Store and they erased all content and settings by holding down the crown and side button until a menu option comes up to do so. After it unpairs, remove the watch from your Watch app and pair again. Apparently when unpairing regularly, it doesn’t erase misc data (like a bug that leaves old software that takes up a lot of room). Will report back if the message comes back within the week.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
Update! With fingers crossed I think it may be fixed. I got a walk-up appointment at an Apple Store and they erased all content and settings by holding down the crown and side button until a menu option comes up to do so. After it unpairs, remove the watch from your Watch app and pair again. Apparently when unpairing regularly, it doesn’t erase misc data (like a bug that leaves old software that takes up a lot of room). Will report back if the message comes back within the week.

I’ve never seen a menu option come up when holding those two buttons down. It usually just reboots.

glicky63

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
I’ve never seen a menu option come up when holding those two buttons down. It usually just reboots.
It may have been a really long hold that shows up after that all comes up. I was socially distant from him so I couldn’t see well but asked him what he did so I could report back. He told me he usually does it by holding 2 fingers on the screen but that way wasn’t working likely due to the lack of storage.

glicky63

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
It may have been a really long hold that shows up after that all comes up. I was socially distant from him so I couldn’t see well but asked him what he did so I could report back. He told me he usually does it by holding 2 fingers on the screen but that way wasn’t working likely due to the lack of storage.
Spoke too soon. Woke up this morning to storage full again. Will try to go back to the Apple Store this weekend.

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Spoke too soon. Woke up this morning to storage full again. Will try to go back to the Apple Store this weekend.
I really am starting to think that this is a deep firmware issue. I had my OG series 3 replaced under the screen recall and thats when I started to have the issues. both the OG and the replacement were on the same software version and within days of me getting the replacement I started to get the notifications telling me that it was full. that was over a year ago and ever since then if I need to update I have to unpair and repair to get it to update.

glicky63

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
Went back to the Apple Store today and because they were so busy a Genius met me outside to tell me that Apple had admitted to the issue 2-3 weeks ago and are actively working to fix it. While they could send it away for repair/replacement, because it’s out of warranty there would likely be a charge. So my watch will sit on my table until Apple releases a fix, which considering they just acknowledged this problem a few weeks ago after people have been having an issue for over a year according to these Forums, is probably the single most frustrating thing I’ve encountered in my years of owning Apple products. So to all - don’t continue to waste your time with Support or the Genius Bar. We all have to “hold tight” for a fix from Cupertino.

Reactions: thunderstorm

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Went back to the Apple Store today and because they were so busy a Genius met me outside to tell me that Apple had admitted to the issue 2-3 weeks ago and are actively working to fix it. While they could send it away for repair/replacement, because it’s out of warranty there would likely be a charge. So my watch will sit on my table until Apple releases a fix, which considering they just acknowledged this problem a few weeks ago after people have been having an issue for over a year according to these Forums, is probably the single most frustrating thing I’ve encountered in my years of owning Apple products. So to all - don’t continue to waste your time with Support or the Genius Bar. We all have to “hold tight” for a fix from Cupertino.
Im glad they are owning up to it. I hope its just a simple software bug that needs to be fixed. Im still stuck on beta 1 on my watch and we are on Beta 3 but can't update unless I unpair.

Reactions: dribeiro

dribeiro

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2020
Im glad they are owning up to it. I hope its just a simple software bug that needs to be fixed. Im still stuck on beta 1 on my watch and we are on Beta 3 but can't update unless I unpair.

Yeah, I’m personally glad that it’s being acknowledged and not some fringe issue related to my specific setup that will never get fixed. Now I can stop driving myself crazy trying to figure out what’s causing the problem.

It’s frustrating that we just have to wait but at least we know they’re aware of it now.

dribeiro

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2020
Well, the release notes for iOS 13.6.1 are interesting:

- Addresses an issue where unneeded system data files might not be automatically deleted when available storage is low

I hope a watchOS update with this fix is imminent...

thunderstorm

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
England, UK
I’m experiencing this issue too. Hadn’t noticed it before the most recent update, then put in a call with the support team before I saw this thread.
She said I had two options, repair or replace - so I mentioned that several people were reporting the same issue and had been doing so for well over a year, and her response was “well you can believe random people on the internet or you can do what I tell you to do.” :rolleyes: Needless to say I terminated the call and chose the former!
So now joining you all in the wait for a software update to fix the issue.

glicky63

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
I’m experiencing this issue too. Hadn’t noticed it before the most recent update, then put in a call with the support team before I saw this thread.
She said I had two options, repair or replace - so I mentioned that several people were reporting the same issue and had been doing so for well over a year, and her response was “well you can believe random people on the internet or you can do what I tell you to do.” :rolleyes: Needless to say I terminated the call and chose the former!
So now joining you all in the wait for a software update to fix the issue.
Assuming the repair they mentioned came within a likely if not definite cost and the replacement would also be at your own expense?

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
So, I just got a prompt to update to latest WatchOS and guess what? I CAN'T because the watch does not have enough available storage! I think it said the OS requires 2.2GB, and my watch only has 1.5GB available after a reboot, even though there is basically nothing on it.

Update: So I rebooted the watch again by holding down both buttons for a long time, and it rebooted with 2.1GB available. I tried the install again anyway, despite the fact that the update said it needed 2.2GB available, and it actually went through and updated successfully. After the update, the phone showed 1.6GB available, and a few minutes later 1.4GB. This is watchOS 6.2.8.

IMG_0585.png

Last edited:

glicky63

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
Thanks so much for the update! Keep us posted.

I’ve been running 6.2.8 since mid August when I deleted my phone backup and Health Data from iCloud and fully un-paired and re-paired my watch as new. I haven’t loaded a single app other than the native apps onto the watch as a test. It’s been fluctuating but I currently have 126MB worth of native app data and it says I’m using 2.5GB with 2.2GB available. With no other apps, I’m still seeing the issue persist but with more room so as to not get the “Storage Full” message. At this point I think we have to wait until WatchOS 7 for a full reset. So disappointing.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
Well looks like it’s impossible to install WatchOS 7 without doing a repair as new watch. Ugh!

glicky63

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
Yeah, I had to set mine up as a new watch in order to get Watch OS 7. What a nuisance.
Same, I didn't have enough room to install so I had to unpair, repair, then download Watch OS7. Right before I unpaired, I had 2.0GB being used, down to 729MB with 2.6GB displayed separately as Software Update after repairing, then back up to 1.8GB used after installed Watch OS7.

This is what it's been hovering at with no additional apps, so looks like Watch OS7 did not provide a fix. It's clearly old software and/or iCloud data syncing issue.

It's infuriating to know they're still selling Series 3 (with improvements) and that they're aware of this issue. I'm temped to trade in for a Watch SE, but too frustrated at the moment to give Apple more money and risk I'll still have an issue.

Reactions: cygnusjen

sixtydashone

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
It's infuriating to know they're still selling Series 3 (with improvements) and that they're aware of this issue.

I had the same thought. I can't believe this issue is not higher priority considering that they're intent on continuing to sell Series 3. In fact their neglect to fix this issue actually led me to believe that they probably were going to drop the Series 3 altogether, but obviously that is not yet the case.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
So I spent half of my day resetting up my watch to get WatchOS 7. This is completely an unacceptable user experience.

Reactions: cygnusjen

glicky63

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
So I spent half of my day resetting up my watch to get WatchOS 7. This is completely an unacceptable user experience.
After unpairing and repairing to update, I got the Sotrage Full message again on OS 7 and had to fully reset. I’m curious to see if anyone who may get an SE or 6 will continue to have an issue after it persisting with their 3. I may be that person if it keeps up, ha! So so frustrated.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
After unpairing and repairing to update, I got the Sotrage Full message again on OS 7 and had to fully reset. I’m curious to see if anyone who may get an SE or 6 will continue to have an issue after it persisting with their 3. I may be that person if it keeps up, ha! So so frustrated.

Mine also filled up the other day and I had to do a hard reboot. Still not fixed with WatchOS 7.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2017
And I can’t even install 7.0.1 because it needs 2GB free. Unbelievable! I guess you have to re-pair the watch for every update. I’m so done with this. Waiting for my S6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.