Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
I'm running a 16" M1 Max and I've found Safari to crash at least 3 times a day. I thought it was my Save to Pocket extension so I removed that but the crashes still occur. Anyone else having this issue?

The next step is to remove the Adblock Plus Control Panel extension and see if that makes a difference.

I've also noticed various webpages not loading fully and I'm assuming that this is because of the new cross-site tracking prevention. Thoughts on that as well?

I'm very curious as to everyone else's experiences here with their new M1 Pro or Max MBPs and Safari.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
No crashes for me and I use 1Blocker extension as my ad blocker. All my webpages are fully loaded as well. I have the M1 max 32 GB and 32 GPU.

Reactions: transpo1

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
No crashes for me and I use 1Blocker extension as my ad blocker. All my webpages are fully loaded as well. I have the M1 max 32 GB and 32 GPU.
Thanks for chiming in— very interesting. I’ll reinstall AdBlocker Plus and see if that makes a difference.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
I have a 14" M1 Pro and Safari wasn't crashing, but I keep getting an "out of space" message after browsing for just a few minutes. Force quit, fixes it for a few minutes at a time.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
Yeah. I'm new to Mac so I wanted the full experience, so I was set on using Safari. Edge is working just fine.

lawrencesmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Hong Kong
I experience page reloads on Safari on my 14" M1 Max. At certain times the page would reload itself for no reason, not even indicating "the page has to reload because of problems occurred". And sometimes when I click on a link to next page, it may instantly returned to the previous page without anything clicked on it. The new OS and Apple apps are so buggy.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I'm running a 16" M1 Max and I've found Safari to crash at least 3 times a day. I thought it was my Save to Pocket extension so I removed that but the crashes still occur. Anyone else having this issue?

The next step is to remove the Adblock Plus Control Panel extension and see if that makes a difference.

I've also noticed various webpages not loading fully and I'm assuming that this is because of the new cross-site tracking prevention. Thoughts on that as well?

I'm very curious as to everyone else's experiences here with their new M1 Pro or Max MBPs and Safari.

Can you describe "crash"?

I'm having a number of safari issues:
  1. The URL bar becomes unresponsive. I can't type a new URL or delete the current url. I'll need to restart Safari when this happens.
  2. The Page stops loading, there is a clear line where the browser stopped rendering.Images will often load cut off right in the middle. I'll need to restart Safari when this happens.
  3. Sometimes scrolling gets stuck inside of a scrollable windows inside the browser and I can't back out to scroll the full page up and down. I'll need to restart Safari when this happens.
System Info:

macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
  • Model Name: MacBook Pro
  • Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,2
  • Chip: Apple M1 Max
  • Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)
  • Memory: 64 GB
  • Type: GPU
  • Total Number of Cores: 32
  • Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7

weirdsmith

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2021
I have a 14" M1 Pro and Safari wasn't crashing, but I keep getting an "out of space" message after browsing for just a few minutes. Force quit, fixes it for a few minutes at a time.
Try turning off "Hide IP address from trackers" in the Privacy tab of Safari preferences. Seems to fix this problem.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010

1. The URL bar becomes unresponsive. I can't type a new URL or delete the current url. I'll need to restart Safari when this happens.
  2. The Page stops loading, there is a clear line where the browser stopped rendering.Images will often load cut off right in the middle. I'll need to restart Safari when this happens.
  3. Sometimes scrolling gets stuck inside of a scrollable windows inside the browser and I can't back out to scroll the full page up and down. I'll need to restart Safari when this happens.
System Info:

Crash ? meaning it actually quits constantly and I get the “Reopen/Report/Do Nothing” message.

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I’ve been using the 16 Max since launch day 9 hours/day and safari only crash once. I guess I’m lucky and I also have adblock install. Perhaps some ads or website have scripts that screw up safari?
I have serious memory leak with Edge and chrome is not as smooth.
What are the websites you often visit when the crash happens?

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Update for everyone here: Safari was acting up again this morning and crashed 6 times inside of 15 minutes or so. I went to Safari > Preferences > Privacy and under the Hide IP Address options selected "Trackers Only" instead of "Trackers and Websites." So far, Safari has not crashed once since then. So, fingers crossed, this holds. I guess websites do not like not knowing the IP address.

For anyone interested in the technical reasons why this was happening, I'm attaching this excerpt from the crash notification sent to Apple.

Thanks to everyone here for your suggestions!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 14.03.41.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 14.03.41.png
    198.3 KB · Views: 150

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I have no issues with Safari and/or Safari Technology Preview crashing on me. Not once.

however, I use zero addons/extensions (Because I have a network pi-hole for adblocking)

MBP 16 M1 Max 32GB Ram

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
I have no issues with Safari and/or Safari Technology Preview crashing on me. Not once.

however, I use zero addons/extensions (Because I have a network pi-hole for adblocking)

MBP 16 M1 Max 32GB Ram
That’s fantastic. And do you have “Hide IP Address from Trackers and Websites” checked in preferences?

mrng

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2021
My Safari keep on crashing when I try to reopen my closed tabs (Cmd + Shift + T), even the "Hide IP Address from Trackers and Websites" option being turned off, not sure if it's due to private mode which I'm reopening the closed tabs.

Also, I'm seeing many 403 responses from the API calls when surfing a common website. Tried the same webpage on chrome and it works perfectly fine, on Safari I keep seeing a blank page and takes me 30 sec to show the content. Example link from LeetCode https://leetcode.com/problems/maximize-distance-to-closest-person/discuss .

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Safari keeps crashing for me, even worse after the 12.1 update. It crashed about 8 times on travel/hotel websites while I was trying to book a hotel, and about 5-6 times while on YouTube with a few other tabs open. I've chatted with Apple Support over Live Chat, and they recommended booting up in Safe Mode. But what then? I'm not going to run an expensive laptop in Safe Mode all the time just to use the web browser.

More calls with Senior Apple Support Technicians are in my future...

mr_roboto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2020
Safari keeps crashing for me, even worse after the 12.1 update. It crashed about 8 times on travel/hotel websites while I was trying to book a hotel, and about 5-6 times while on YouTube with a few other tabs open. I've chatted with Apple Support over Live Chat, and they recommended booting up in Safe Mode. But what then? I'm not going to run an expensive laptop in Safe Mode all the time just to use the web browser.

More calls with Senior Apple Support Technicians are in my future...
A more informative (imo) diagnostic step is to create a new user account, then test Safari under that account. If the problems don't carry over, you've got a bad Safari prefs or cache file somewhere in your user account.

User accounts are managed under Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Users and Groups. You'll have to authenticate with an admin password to allow changes, and click the "+" button at the bottom of the list of user accounts to create a new one.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
A more informative (imo) diagnostic step is to create a new user account, then test Safari under that account. If the problems don't carry over, you've got a bad Safari prefs or cache file somewhere in your user account.

User accounts are managed under Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Users and Groups. You'll have to authenticate with an admin password to allow changes, and click the "+" button at the bottom of the list of user accounts to create a new one.
Thanks, this is a good recommend- will try!

AnaphaseAway

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2021

System Info:

im having this same issue in regards to pages loading half way and stopping. i have to restart the browser

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
All of my troubles with Safari were address by disabling "Hide IP address from trackers". I know that isn't the case for everyone, but if you haven't tried it I would give it a go.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
All of my troubles with Safari were address by disabling "Hide IP address from trackers". I know that isn't the case for everyone, but if you haven't tried it I would give it a go.
I'll try this again and see if it helps, thanks!

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Has anyone tried the Brave Browser instead? Just curious as to your thoughts/experiences.

Solouki

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.