Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Hi all—

I thought I would update you and tell you that after hours spent troubleshooting with Apple Support, we appear to have found the source of the problem (fingers crossed ?).

Since Safari did not crash under a new user admin account (thanks, Mr_Roboto), I reinstalled Monterey (without wiping disk) on the original, problematic user admin. That did not work, so after exhausting the Apple Senior Tech advisor, I mentioned the Bookmarks.plist file under Library > Safari. Once this was deleted, Safari no longer crashed (or at least, it hasn’t for 24 hours).

Why this wasn’t one of the first solutions the four Apple Tech Advisors (two of which were Senior Advisors) tried, I will never know, but am happy we got to the bottom of it. None of my other machines (Intel) have had this problem FYI.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
Thanks @transpo1. I tried this and it didn't seem to work for the "out of space" issue. For that, I still have disable the "Hide IP address from trackers" option. Let's hope there is a fix for this coming.

Reactions: transpo1

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
New to this thread, but not the issue; I have the issue on a M1 Macbook Air - my Intel Mac Mini has zero issues with Safari - same versions of OS & Safari. I have turned off the "Hide IP Address from Trackers" option on my Air (which wasn't on the Mini). Fingers crossed as been driving me mad for ages!

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
New to this thread, but not the issue; I have the issue on a M1 Macbook Air - my Intel Mac Mini has zero issues with Safari - same versions of OS & Safari. I have turned off the "Hide IP Address from Trackers" option on my Air (which wasn't on the Mini). Fingers crossed as been driving me mad for ages!
Yes, I’ve also had zero issues with Safari on my Intel MacBook.

UPDATE: Safari did not crash once after the above solution (removing Bookmarks.plist) until I turned “Hide IP Address from Trackers” back on in the last week or so. This makes me think that the issue is definitely related and that the “Hide IP Address” setting somehow corrupts the Bookmarks preferences on M1 Macs. Each time, I simply remove the Bookmarks.plist file again which seems to reset Safari, preventing further crashes.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
Has anyone else updated to 12.2 yet? I've re-enabled the "Hide IP address" after the upgrade and so far I haven't seen the issue. Perhaps this was fixed, maybe I'm a bit optimistic and it's too early to say.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Has anyone else updated to 12.2 yet? I've re-enabled the "Hide IP address" after the upgrade and so far I haven't seen the issue. Perhaps this was fixed, maybe I'm a bit optimistic and it's too early to say.
Thanks for the info, it sounds promising! I’m still on 12.1 with Hide IP Address off. Will update the thread once I update. :)

weirdsmith

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2021
I've re-enabled the "Hide IP address" after the upgrade and so far I haven't seen the issue.
I did the same yesterday. I got about 24 hours before it started to report the same "no space on device" error. I had to restart Safari to get all the errors to go away, though simply switching off the IP address hiding fixed some things. Oh well; maybe next time.

ricardomfreitas

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
I experience page reloads on Safari on my 14" M1 Max. At certain times the page would reload itself for no reason, not even indicating "the page has to reload because of problems occurred". And sometimes when I click on a link to next page, it may instantly returned to the previous page without anything clicked on it. The new OS and Apple apps are so buggy.
I took the 14" M1 Pro baseline since it was released. I'm having the same problem as you: my safari undo (close) new tabs that I opened, it goes to previous page alone, reload the page alone, etc. and it didn't show any error message. It just close the tab by itself. It seems the page that I opened and it was closed alone not even was open, because I try to command + z to reopen the last page and nothing happens. And sometimes when I open a new tab and try to reach a website, it goes to the previous page (blank page) and I can't click the arrow forward (as it seems, for the system, it was never opened before). I thought it could be a OS problem and waited the 12.1 version. It didn't fixed. I waited the 12.2 and it still keeps happening. So I format my MacBook and even then it is still happening. I formatted because I found it could be some incompatibilty with a software with rosetta, or some software developed for M1 but not well build.

I'm trying to record the screen with activity monitor opened to try to explain the problem properly or try to identify any anomaly, but the Murphy's law don't let me register it ehehehe. It happens just when I'm not recording. And guess what... When I was registering myself in this website, it happened. I opened my gmail account while I was writing this post and it happened again. It is very disappointing and frustrating.

The first time I used safari after I format the Mac this problem happened.

I don't know if it happens with another browser, because I was using Edge but not frequently and just with specifics tabs.

I tried to find somebody with the same problem as mine in web but I just found lowrencesmac reporting it.

Now my mac is without any downloaded app installed (just OS native softwares).

I'm worry if it's a hardware problem since it's not common to find somebody with the same problem although I think it's software bug.

I removed all cookies, empty caches, disable Hide IP address and nothing worked. And I don't think it is memory problem.

If somebody has any consideration to try to solve it, I'm opened to do it.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I took the 14" M1 Pro baseline since it was released. I'm having the same problem as you: my safari undo (close) new tabs that I opened, it goes to previous page alone, reload the page alone, etc. and it didn't show any error message. It just close the tab by itself. It seems the page that I opened and it was closed alone not even was open, because I try to command + z to reopen the last page and nothing happens. And sometimes when I open a new tab and try to reach a website, it goes to the previous page (blank page) and I can't click the arrow forward (as it seems, for the system, it was never opened before). I thought it could be a OS problem and waited the 12.1 version. It didn't fixed. I waited the 12.2 and it still keeps happening. So I format my MacBook and even then it is still happening. I formatted because I found it could be some incompatibilty with a software with rosetta, or some software developed for M1 but not well build.

I'm trying to record the screen with activity monitor opened to try to explain the problem properly or try to identify any anomaly, but the Murphy's law don't let me register it ehehehe. It happens just when I'm not recording. And guess what... When I was registering myself in this website, it happened. I opened my gmail account while I was writing this post and it happened again. It is very disappointing and frustrating.

The first time I used safari after I format the Mac this problem happened.

I don't know if it happens with another browser, because I was using Edge but not frequently and just with specifics tabs.

I tried to find somebody with the same problem as mine in web but I just found lowrencesmac reporting it.

Now my mac is without any downloaded app installed (just OS native softwares).

I'm worry if it's a hardware problem since it's not common to find somebody with the same problem although I think it's software bug.

I removed all cookies, empty caches, disable Hide IP address and nothing worked. And I don't think it is memory problem.

If somebody has any consideration to try to solve it, I'm opened to do it.
sorry to hear, this is why I chose to keep to M1 13 inch MBP. It's reliable, thin, beautifully designed, has superior battery life and is super quick for a non-pro like myself.

WolfBenz

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
Safari is a shameless mess right now. Ever since I have this "top of the line" 16" MB"Pro" M1, I have to restart Safari DAILY. Actually, I just moved to Chrome, it became unusable. Never had such issue on my Intel MBP.
And its Safari all right - I have no network issues, zero extensions etc. It's a clean install.
I's a shame, Apple. This is one of the Core apps and you are blowing it.

In fact, these days, there's not a single core Apple app that hasn't got serious issues. Even Address Book, Mail and certainly the media apps. My whole Music Lib was messed up as well. Spent days restoring the correct association between playlists and songs.
As the list kept growing, I''m currently in the process replace Apple apps one by one as I'm tired of all the bugs.

Apple Apple, try to fix your stack first, before throwing even more features at it. How far are we from "It just works" today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.