Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2022
On my new iPad Pro with the latest iPadOS version I play video through Safari picture-in-picture and use the Brave browser to browse for example Twitter. (I don't use Safari much otherwise to avoid ads...) But the moment a Twitter video autoplays, the PiP window immediately goes blank and pauses. This is the same for any website, not just Twitter.

So far that's not a big problem, except that it won't resume what I was streaming in the PiP window, the play button doesn't do anything, forcing me to switch to Safari to resume the video, which Twitch does immediately, then reenable PiP. But the moment I switch back to the other browser with the video that was playing, it goes blank again.

This entirely defeats the PiP purpose as nowadays I can't scroll through any of my feeds without coming across short 5-10 sec videos, breaking PiP nonstop. I am now opening this thread as I am about to throw this 999usd purchase out the closed window in frustration. It's set up without backup restore, so I don't know what else to do. Is this a known bug? Thanks!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I've never used PiP much this way, but it doesn't surprise me. iOS/iPadOS doesn't like playing multiple media at the same time. I have a game that stops playing my music every time an ad or video is shown.

Don't know if this will work for your use case, but could try going to Settings->Accessibility->Motion and disable "Auto-Play Video Previews". (Or go to Settings->Accessibility->Per-App Settings and disable it there if you only want to do it per app instead of system-wide.)

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2022
I've never used PiP much this way
The main reason I got this new iPad was that the old non-pro iPad was lagging at times with PiP, but it didn't have the same issue. It would only pause the content if the volume was turned on for the videos on my feed, and even then I could simply unpause the PiP stream and it would resume.

I have a game that stops playing my music every time an ad or video is shown.
You can resume that right after the intermittent media stops playing, right? That is how it was on my old iPad and that was fine.

but could try going to Settings->Accessibility->Motion and disable "Auto-Play Video Previews".
That does not work, the websites in Brave still autoplay the media. If I knew this was some intermittent bug that will be fixed soon I could accept it, but I am coming up on the end of the return window of a device I spent a thousand usd on and can't use PiP at all unless I visit some static newspaper website, which is not really what I bought the device for. I noticed PiP resumes successfully sometimes when it's Youtube, but not when the PiP video is from Twitch.

If this is a limitation from now on moving forward then I really don't know what to say about this. How is the similarly priced entry-level MB Air less bugged than this Pro device :( And I don't have the older iPad anymore either... I guess I'll visit an Apple Store and get the support that's included in the purchase anyways, and if they can't resolve it on the spot I'll just return it and figure out something else. Thanks for the reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.